Police tactical teams carried out a major operation in downtown St. John’s on Thursday morning after surrounding a home on Spencer Street as part of an ongoing weapons and drug investigation.
The operation began at about 11:30 a.m. when officers from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police Emergency Response Team, the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary Tactics and Rescue Unit, K9 officers, and an RCMP Tactical Armoured Vehicle converged on the property.
Authorities shut down the street as officers moved in. Police used the armoured vehicle’s breaching ram to force entry through the front door and also smashed a lower-level window during the raid.
Multiple diversionary devices, commonly known as flash bangs, were deployed before officers ordered occupants to leave the residence.
At least five people were initially seen exiting the home, with two appearing to be handcuffed and escorted to a police vehicle. Police later confirmed that a total of 12 individuals vacated the property during the operation.
The RNC said the action was the execution of a search warrant connected to an investigation by its Weapons and Drug Enforcement Unit.
Tactical teams cleared the area around 1:00 p.m., although officers remained at the scene while the property search continued.
Police said the investigation remains ongoing and charges are pending, though none had been formally announced as of Thursday afternoon.









