Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Trump : You're on your own, US tells citizens in Israel amid Middle East tensions 

    Trump sends 5000 US troops to Poland, NATO gives nod

    May 22, 2026
    Nigerians reacting on social media to the appointment of Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar announced by President Tinubu.

    Mixed reactions trail JAMB registrar Segun Aina appointment

    May 22, 2026
    The Governor of Benue State, Hyacinth Alia, has expressed deep sorrow over the death of ten people in a tragic accident in the Okete community, Ohimini Local Government Area.

    Alia wins Benue APC governorship primary election

    May 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Trump sends 5000 US troops to Poland, NATO gives nod
    • Mixed reactions trail JAMB registrar Segun Aina appointment
    • Alia wins Benue APC governorship primary election
    • Police deploy flash bangs, armoured vehicle in St. John’s drug raid
    • Police probe officer who threatened to kill people filming him
    • DHQ says Oyo kidnap carried out by JAS terrorists
    • Phil Foden, Cole Palmer out of England World Cup squad, Toney, Mainoo, Madueke in
    • Oyo denies rescue of abducted students, teachers
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Friday, May 22
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    DHQ says Oyo kidnap carried out by JAS terrorists

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoMay 22, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    DHQ says Oyo kidnap carried out by JAS terrorists
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The Defense Headquarters (DHQ) has stated that the recent kidnapping of students and teachers in Oyo State was carried out by terrorists displaced from other parts of the country following intensified military operations.

    The military high command declared this on Thursday in response to what it described as “mischievous and misleading publications” about comments attributed to the defense headquarters regarding the classification of terrorists and criminal groups operating in the South-West.

    According to a statement issued by Maj. Gen. Michael Onoja, Director of Defence Media Operations, the perpetrators behind the Oyo kidnapping were members of the Jama’atu Ahlis Sunna Lidda’awati wal-Jihad terrorist group, which had been displaced by persistent military offensives across the country.

    “The recent incidence of kidnap in Oyo State was clearly perpetrated by terrorists of the JAS Group that have been dislodged from other parts of the country due to high-intensity operations being conducted all over,” the statement read.

    The DHQ refuted reports that it referred to terrorists working in the South West as ordinary criminals, stating that such interpretations were false and misleading.

    “It is, therefore, inaccurate and misleading to suggest that the defense headquarters, at any point, referred to vicious and violent terrorists as criminals,” Onoja stated.

    The military clarified security developments in the South-West to provide an intelligence-based context and prevent unnecessary panic among residents.

    They also emphasized their commitment to constitutional governance and democratic institutions.

    • Oyo denies rescue of abducted students, teachers

    • Police deny rescue of abducted Oyo teachers, students

    “At no time did the defense headquarters undermine the authority of any democratically elected leader or seek to diminish the gravity of the heinous crime committed against innocent citizens by terrorist elements,” the statement added.

    The DHQ also stated that troops remained actively deployed across affected areas, working with other security agencies and local partners to dismantle terrorist and criminal networks that threatened national peace and stability.

    “The Armed Forces of Nigeria remain resolute in dismantling all criminal and terrorist networks threatening the peace, stability, and unity of the nation,” the statement said.

    The clarification came in the wake of recent attacks on villages in Oyo State’s Oriire Local Government Area, in which armed terrorists abducted students, teachers, and other people from Ahoro-Esinle Community High School.

    The incident also claimed the lives of other people, including Michael Oyedokun, one of the abducted instructors, who was later slain after a video of the attack leaked online.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Trump : You're on your own, US tells citizens in Israel amid Middle East tensions 

    Trump sends 5000 US troops to Poland, NATO gives nod

    Nigerians reacting on social media to the appointment of Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar announced by President Tinubu.

    Mixed reactions trail JAMB registrar Segun Aina appointment

    The Governor of Benue State, Hyacinth Alia, has expressed deep sorrow over the death of ten people in a tragic accident in the Okete community, Ohimini Local Government Area.

    Alia wins Benue APC governorship primary election

    RCMP tactical armoured vehicle and heavily armed officers outside a Spencer Street home during a police raid in downtown St. John’s.

    Police deploy flash bangs, armoured vehicle in St. John’s drug raid

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Police probe officer who threatened to kill people filming him

    Principal of Community High School, Esinele, appeals for help in a viral video after gunmen abducted teachers and students in Oyo State

    Oyo denies rescue of abducted students, teachers

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Trump : You're on your own, US tells citizens in Israel amid Middle East tensions 

    Trump sends 5000 US troops to Poland, NATO gives nod

    May 22, 2026
    Nigerians reacting on social media to the appointment of Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar announced by President Tinubu.

    Mixed reactions trail JAMB registrar Segun Aina appointment

    May 22, 2026
    The Governor of Benue State, Hyacinth Alia, has expressed deep sorrow over the death of ten people in a tragic accident in the Okete community, Ohimini Local Government Area.

    Alia wins Benue APC governorship primary election

    May 22, 2026
    RCMP tactical armoured vehicle and heavily armed officers outside a Spencer Street home during a police raid in downtown St. John’s.

    Police deploy flash bangs, armoured vehicle in St. John’s drug raid

    May 22, 2026
    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Police probe officer who threatened to kill people filming him

    May 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.