Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    UniAbuja student goes missing

    100-level UniAbuja student goes missing

    February 20, 2026
    ICPC arrests El-Rufai over ongoing corruption investigation

    El-Rufai: Lawyer condemns search of ex-gov’s residence by ICPC

    February 20, 2026
    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • 100-level UniAbuja student goes missing
    • El-Rufai: Lawyer condemns search of ex-gov’s residence by ICPC
    • Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim
    • Mirabel admits lying over rape claim
    • Terrorists kill 33 in fresh Kebbi attack
    • Shehu Sani says e-transmission not enough for credible elections 
    • EFCC docks two over alleged N143m fraud in Benin
    • Osinbajo hails Otti’s reforms in Abia
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Friday, February 20
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Hire foreign care workers already in country, UK govt tell employers

    David GreatBy David GreatMarch 12, 2025No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    UK Migration minister Seema Malhotra urging care companies to hire foreigners in UK foreign care workers
    UK Migration minister Seema Malhotra
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    United Kingdom social care providers will have to prioritise hiring foreign care workers already in the country before recruiting from overseas, the government said on Wednesday, as it cracks down on worker abuse in a sector heavily reliant on immigration.

    The move follows the introduction in November of stronger sanctions for rogue employers who recruit foreign care workers but failed to provide them with work, leaving some unemployed and close to destitution.

    Others are out of work due to the government revoking the licenses of rogue employers to hire overseas workers.

    A survey of more than 3,000 people on health and care worker visas last month showed many had paid fraudulent fees to secure a job only to find no work after arriving in Britain. It also highlighted that some were living in overcrowded housing  and earning less than the minimum wage.

    Care providers in England who wish to recruit from overseas will now have to show they have first tried to hire someone with a care sector visa who is already in the country but out of work, Britain’s Home Office said.

    • Badenoch criticizes UK PM for cutting defence funding amid global threats

    “Those who have come to the UK to support our adult care sector should have the opportunity to do so, free from abuse and exploitation,” Migration Minister Seema Malhotra said.

    Nearly a third of all foreign care workers in England are migrants, many having arrived from countries such as Nigeria, Zimbabwe, India and the Philippines to fill thousands of vacancies after Britain left the European Union and to meet the healthcare demands of an ageing population.

    Charities and trade unions say Britain’s post-Brexit system of allowing companies to sponsor workers to receive a visa empowers unscrupulous employers who can use the threat of deportation to abuse workers.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    UniAbuja student goes missing

    100-level UniAbuja student goes missing

    ICPC arrests El-Rufai over ongoing corruption investigation

    El-Rufai: Lawyer condemns search of ex-gov’s residence by ICPC

    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    Mirabel admits lying over rape claim

    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected Terrorists.

    Terrorists kill 33 in fresh Kebbi attack

    Shehu Sani: E-transmission not enough for credible elections 

    Shehu Sani says e-transmission not enough for credible elections 

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    UniAbuja student goes missing

    100-level UniAbuja student goes missing

    February 20, 2026
    ICPC arrests El-Rufai over ongoing corruption investigation

    El-Rufai: Lawyer condemns search of ex-gov’s residence by ICPC

    February 20, 2026
    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    February 20, 2026
    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    Mirabel admits lying over rape claim

    February 20, 2026
    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected Terrorists.

    Terrorists kill 33 in fresh Kebbi attack

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.