Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    February 17, 2026
    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    El-Rufai in EFCC custody over N423bn Kaduna probe

    February 17, 2026
    ‘Godfather’ actor Robert Duvall dies at 95

    ‘Godfather’ actor Robert Duvall dies at 95

    February 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno
    • El-Rufai in EFCC custody over N423bn Kaduna probe
    • ‘Godfather’ actor Robert Duvall dies at 95
    • Social network X restored after global outage
    • Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others
    • US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links
    • Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack
    • Tinubu lauds Adamawa gov for infrastructure projects
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Tuesday, February 17
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Nigerian govt offers N62,000 minimum wage, labour demands N250,000

    Opalim LiftedBy Opalim LiftedJune 8, 2024No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    NLC condemns proposed salary increment for political officeholders
    Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC)
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The Federal Government of Nigeria has increased its offer of a new national minimum wage to N62,000, while organised labour has reduced its demand from N494,000 to N250,000.

    This comes after the Minister of Finance, Wale Edun, submitted the cost implication of minimum wage to President Bola Tinubu.

    A source confirmed this to newsmen on Friday in Abuja.

    “After wasting our time, they finally came up with the offer of N62,000 which was backed by the private sector. Labour also reduced ours to N250,000. This is embarrassing,” the source who is part of negotiation from the labour side said.

    Chronicle NG reported that Tinubu had earlier directed Edun to present the cost implications for a new minimum wage within two days.

    • Governors reject N60,000 minimum wage proposal, say it is not sustainable

    The President gave the order at a meeting with the government negotiation team led by the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, George Akume, at the Presidential Villa in Abuja.

    Though Edun has submitted the proposal to the president, it has not been made public.

    Recall that organised labour, comprising the Nigeria Labour Congress and Trade Union Congress, had embarked on a nationwide strike on Monday to demand an increased minimum wage for workers and the reversal of the recently increased electricity tariffs.

    However, the labour union leadership suspended the strike on Tuesday for five days after signing a commitment with the Federal Government to resume negotiations and come up with a new minimum wage within a week.

    It is not yet clear if labour will accept the new proposal from the government.

    The Nigerian Governors Forum had, earlier on Friday, said any minimum wage above N60,000 will not be sustainable.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    El-Rufai in EFCC custody over N423bn Kaduna probe

    Social network X restored global outage

    Social network X restored after global outage

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    February 17, 2026
    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    El-Rufai in EFCC custody over N423bn Kaduna probe

    February 17, 2026
    ‘Godfather’ actor Robert Duvall dies at 95

    ‘Godfather’ actor Robert Duvall dies at 95

    February 17, 2026
    Social network X restored global outage

    Social network X restored after global outage

    February 16, 2026
    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.