Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    The Lagos State Internal Revenue Service has declared that it will use third-party agents to collect unpaid taxes from defaulting taxpayers, including banks, employers, debtors, tenants, and business partners.

    Lagos implements 5% withholding tax on gaming winnings

    February 20, 2026
    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected Terrorists.

    Terrorists kidnap three in fresh attack on Plateau community

    February 20, 2026
    President Bola Tinubu has expressed sadness over the demise of the Chief of Naval Operations of the Nigerian Navy, Rear Admiral Musa Katagum, who passed away on Thursday after a protracted illness.

    Tinubu mourns death of naval chief Katagum

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Lagos implements 5% withholding tax on gaming winnings
    • Terrorists kidnap three in fresh attack on Plateau community
    • Tinubu mourns death of naval chief Katagum
    • N738m fraud case: Judge rebukes Maina over delays
    • Police arrest Buhari’s ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 
    • Tinubu urges orderly conduct as Rivers, Kano, FCT vote Saturday
    • Lakurawa terrorists kill 33 in Kebbi’s attack
    • Plateau inaugurates panel to probe VIO misconduct
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Friday, February 20
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Court fines Twitter 5m-rupees citing misinformation in India

    Opalim LiftedBy Opalim LiftedJune 30, 2023No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Elon Musk claims Twitter will replace its logo
    Elon Musk claims Twitter will replace its logo
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    India’s Karnataka High Court on Friday dismissed Twitter’s plea challenging the federal government’s orders to block tweets and accounts and imposed a fine of 5 million rupees ($60,943.65), a lawyer for Twitter told newsmen.

    The decision comes weeks after Twitter’s ex-CEO and co-founder Jack Dorsey accused India of threatening to shut down the social media platform in the country unless it complied with orders to restrict accounts critical of the handling of farmer protests in 2021, a charge that Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s government had called a “lie.”

    The court on Friday ruled that Twitter was served notices, to which it did not comply, India’s Deputy Minister for Information Technology Rajeev Chandrasekhar said in a tweet.

    Twitter could not be immediately reached for a comment on the verdict.

    The US-based firm had last year asked the court to overturn some government orders to remove content from the social media platform.

    • Why Osinbajo’s Twitter verification badge was removed

    This followed an order from the authorities to act on its content, including accounts supportive of an independent Sikh state, posts alleged to have spread misinformation about protests by farmers, and tweets critical of the government’s handling of the COVID-19 pandemic.

    “So you have not given any reason why you delayed compliance—more than a year of delay—then all of a sudden you comply and approach the court,” the bench said during the verdict on Friday, Chandrasekhar tweeted.

    “You are not a farmer but a billion-dollar company.”

    Last year, in a filing with the top court in the southern Indian state of Karnataka, Twitter argued that some removal orders fell short of the procedural requirements of India’s IT Act, newsmen reported.

    The country’s IT Act allows the government to block public access to content in the interest of national security, among other reasons.

    Twitter has been going through a transformative phase since Elon Musk acquired the platform last year, with advertisers slowing spending and the company losing nearly 80% of its staff.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    ICPC raids El-Rufai’s residence amid probe

    ICPC raids El-Rufai’s residence amid probe

    Morocco seeks two years jail for 18 Senegalese fans

    Morocco seeks two years jail for 18 Senegalese fans

    Gabon suspends social media amid 'fake news', rising unrest

    Gabon suspends social media amid ‘fake news’, rising unrest

    Bolt has revealed that Isaac Satlat, the Nigerian student murdered by suspected carjackers in Pretoria, South Africa, was an illegal driver.

    Bolt reveals slain S’Africa-based Nigerian student worked illegally

    ICPC arrests El-Rufai over ongoing corruption investigation

    EFCC extends El-Rufai detention over N432bn corruption probe

    Job scams, desperation push Nigerians into Russia–Ukraine war recruitment

    Job scams, desperation push Nigerians into Russia–Ukraine war recruitment

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    The Lagos State Internal Revenue Service has declared that it will use third-party agents to collect unpaid taxes from defaulting taxpayers, including banks, employers, debtors, tenants, and business partners.

    Lagos implements 5% withholding tax on gaming winnings

    February 20, 2026
    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected Terrorists.

    Terrorists kidnap three in fresh attack on Plateau community

    February 20, 2026
    President Bola Tinubu has expressed sadness over the demise of the Chief of Naval Operations of the Nigerian Navy, Rear Admiral Musa Katagum, who passed away on Thursday after a protracted illness.

    Tinubu mourns death of naval chief Katagum

    February 20, 2026
    N738m fraud case: Judge rebukes Maina over delays

    N738m fraud case: Judge rebukes Maina over delays

    February 20, 2026
    Police arrest Buhari's ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 

    Police arrest Buhari’s ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.