Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Three dead as WHO investigates Hantavirus outbreak on cruise ship

    WHO loses member country as Argentina quits

    May 23, 2026
    Tinubu meets Mutfwang at Aso Rock over Plateau killings

    2027: Plateau gov wins APC governorship primaries

    May 23, 2026
    Peter Obi reacts to the kidnapping of students in Borno and Oyo states, describing the attacks as a threat to Nigeria’s future and education sector.

    Obi denies running from Atiku ahead 2027 election

    May 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • WHO loses member country as Argentina quits
    • 2027: Plateau gov wins APC governorship primaries
    • Obi denies running from Atiku ahead 2027 election
    • Adelabu loses APC gov ticket in Oyo after quitting as minister
    • ‘I’m running to win’, Sowore declares 2027 presidential ambition
    • NNPCL opposes Dangote refinery suit, warns against ‘monopoly control’ of fuel market
    • US cracks down on non-consensual AI-generated intimate images
    • How Ogun teacher abducted, killed WASSCE candidate, spent ransom on sports betting
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Saturday, May 23
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Court adjourns Nnamdi Kanu’s judgement 20 July

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoJune 20, 2023No Comments5 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    IPOB has said that its leader, Nnamdi Kanu, ordered the total cancellation of the Monday sit-at-home across the South-East, with effect from February 9, 2026.
    IPOB leader Nnamdi Kanu
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    A Federal High Court sitting in Abuja has Reserved Judgment In Nnamdi Kanu’s Case Seeking An Order Of Court To Allow Him Unhindered Access To His Medical Doctor To 20th July, 2023.

    Nnamdi Kanu, Leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), filed a suit against the Department of State Services (DSS) seeking an order to allow him unhindered access to his medical doctor.

    Presiding Judge, Justice Binta Nyako fixed the date for delivering judgement after Kanu’s counsel, Chief Mike Ozekhome, SAN, and lawyer to the DSS, A.M. Danlami, adopted their processes and presented their arguments for and against the suit.

    Kanu, through his legal team of led by Ozekhome, had sued the DSS and its Director General as 1st and 2nd respondents in the suit.

    In the suit marked FHC/ABJ/CS/ 2341/2022, Kanu prayed the court for permission to apply for an order of mandamus to compel the DSS to allow him have unhindered access to his medical doctor, among others.

    • Ekpa announces one week sit-at-home, calls for Kanu’s release

    However, in a preliminary objection filed by the DSS, the security outfit prayed the court to dismiss the suit for lack of jurisdiction.

    It argued that there was a subsisting judgement of a sister court delivered by Justice Taiwo Taiwo (rtd.) on June 3, 2022 in suit number: FHC/ABJ/CS/1585/2021 between Kanu and DG of DSS and two others wherein the court dealt substantially with the issue of allowing the IPOB leader access to his personal physician.

    He argued that the instant suit was similar to the earlier one and that Kanu had filed an appeal against the judgment.

    Following the presumption of hearing, Ozekhome told the court that the motion dated Feb. 2, was served on the respondents Feb. 3, seeking for an order of mandamus against the respondents to allow the IPOB leader unfettered access to his doctor in accordance with the earlier order of Justice Nyako, which he alleged had been disregarded by the DSS.

    The legal luminary argued that the act was against Section 7 of the Anti-Torture Act.

    He state that 10 exhibits were attached to the affidavit and two of the exhibits detailed Kanu’s medical report before he was renditioned on June 27, 2021 and medical report of his present health status.

    He stated in their application that an independent doctor should be allowed to attend to him in the presence of the security operatives.

    Furthermore, he argued that a defendant, based on the provisions of the law, should stand his trial and not to be on wheelchair while being prosecuted.

    “We asked if we could see his medical report and they are refusing and if he dies, this will cause national commotion,” he said.

    Ozekhome, stated that a further affidavit was also filed in the suit, said two exhibits were attached to it.

    He said one of the exhibits is a certified true copy of the judgment of a Federal High Court, Umuahia.

    “In the judgment, the court awarded the sum of N500 million damages against the respondents for illegal rendition of the defendant from Keyan to Nigeria,” he added.

    “What we they lose to allow an independent doctor to examine him in their presence? ” he asked

    “We rely on all the processes to humbly request you to grant our omnibus prayers,” he added.

    He however dismissed allegations that Kanu jumped bail on April 25, 2017 after the court granted him bail.

    He argued that Kanu did not jump bail. Rather, he escaped a military invasion at his house. He further said as soon as he got to Israel, he deposed to an affidavit to the effect.

    Addressing the DSS’ argument that the matter was similar to the earlier one decided by retired Justice Taiwo, Ozekhome argued that the claims, the subject matters and the parties in the two matters were not the same.

    “We filed a counter of five paragraphs. In the instant case, there are two respondents, but in the suit they referred to, there were three respondents.

    “So on the issue of parties, they failed.

    “On subject matter, this suit is seeking an order of judicial review by way of mandamus but in the other suit, it was filed for the enforcement of his fundamental rights and not judicial reviews.

    “The former suit sought 11 reliefs but ours has two reliefs,” he said.

    He argued that the law stipulates that an aggrieved party can file more than one case where facts of his case disclose multiple cause of actions.

    In his argument, Danlami urged the court to dismiss Kanu’s plea for lack of jurisdiction.

    The lawyer argued that in their counter affidavit with four exhibits, one of the exhibit showed that Kanu was physically and clinically sound.

    “We urge my lord to dismiss this suit in the interest of justice and national interest,” he said.

    The judge adjourned the case until July 20 for judgment.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Abubakar Malami appears in court as Zenith Bank compliance officer testifies on suspicious transaction reports linked to alleged N8.7bn laundering case.

    Absence of Malami, wife, son’s lawyer stall N8.7bn money laundering trial

    Former Power Minister Saleh Mamman arrested by EFCC operatives in Kaduna after corruption conviction and sentencing.

    JUST IN: EFCC arrests convicted ex-power minister Mamman in Kaduna

    Jonathan: Thugs fly first class while professors struggle to travel economy

    AGF, Jonathan oppose 2027 eligibility suit

    APC accuses ICPC of denying access to El-Rufai

    El-Rufai: Family kicks as DSS picks ex-gov after court grants bail

    APC accuses ICPC of denying access to El-Rufai

    Nasir El-Rufai granted N100m bail

    Jonathan: Thugs fly first class while professors struggle to travel economy

    Court fines lawyer N1m in suit seeking to stop Jonathan’s 2027 bid

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Three dead as WHO investigates Hantavirus outbreak on cruise ship

    WHO loses member country as Argentina quits

    May 23, 2026
    Tinubu meets Mutfwang at Aso Rock over Plateau killings

    2027: Plateau gov wins APC governorship primaries

    May 23, 2026
    Peter Obi reacts to the kidnapping of students in Borno and Oyo states, describing the attacks as a threat to Nigeria’s future and education sector.

    Obi denies running from Atiku ahead 2027 election

    May 23, 2026
    Former Minister of Power Adebayo Adelabu, who resigned to contest the Oyo governorship primaries, has failed to clinch the ticket of the All Progressives Congress, APC.

    Adelabu loses APC gov ticket in Oyo after quitting as minister

    May 23, 2026
    AAC’s Sowore says he is running to win in 2027

    ‘I’m running to win’, Sowore declares 2027 presidential ambition

    May 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.