Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    SERAP asks Tinubu to probe N2.9bn missing funds in NIGCOMSAT, NNRA

    Tinubu participates in APC primary, praises party’s democracy

    May 23, 2026
    INEC: We’ll review court verdict on 2027 election timetable before taking action

    INEC: We’ll review court verdict on 2027 election timetable before taking action

    May 23, 2026
    Three dead as WHO investigates Hantavirus outbreak on cruise ship

    WHO loses member country as Argentina quits

    May 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Tinubu participates in APC primary, praises party’s democracy
    • INEC: We’ll review court verdict on 2027 election timetable before taking action
    • WHO loses member country as Argentina quits
    • 2027: Plateau gov wins APC governorship primaries
    • Obi denies running from Atiku ahead 2027 election
    • Adelabu loses APC gov ticket in Oyo after quitting as minister
    • ‘I’m running to win’, Sowore declares 2027 presidential ambition
    • NNPCL opposes Dangote refinery suit, warns against ‘monopoly control’ of fuel market
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Saturday, May 23
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Tunisian union holds protest against president Saied

    Opalim LiftedBy Opalim LiftedMarch 4, 2023No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Tunisia Using the hashtag #EnaZeda which means #MeToo Tunisians are protesting sexual abuse and harassment
    Using the hashtag #EnaZeda which means #MeToo Tunisians are protesting sexual abuse and harassment
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Tunisia’s powerful UGTT labor union held a rally in the capital on Saturday in what appeared to be the largest protest yet against President Kais Saied, demonstrating strength in the aftermath of his recent crackdown on opponents.

    Thousands of protesters marched down Habib Bourguiba Avenue, Tunis’s main thoroughfare, holding banners that read “No to one-man rule!” they chanted. Put an end to the police state “.

    They were marching in response to weeks of arrests of prominent opponents of Saied, who has launched his first major crackdown since seizing broad powers in 2021, shutting down parliament and instituting rule by decree.

    “Whatever the cost, we will continue to defend freedoms and rights. We are not afraid of prisons or arrests “The crowd was told by UGTT leader Noureddine Taboubi.

    “I salute the jurists and politicians imprisoned in Mornaguia,” he added, referring to recent detainees.

    Hamma Hammami, head of the Workers Party, said protests were the answer to what he called Saied’s “creeping dictatorship”. “He wants to instill fear in us, but we are not afraid,” he said.

    The crackdown is the most severe since Saied’s takeover, and his opponents say it is becoming increasingly clear that he is dismantling the democracy won in the 2011 revolution that triggered the Arab Spring and will end the freedoms it brought.

    • Ghost Election: 11% Tunisian voters turnout amid the rise in President Saied powers

    Saied has denied that his actions were a coup, claiming that they were legal and necessary to keep Tunisia from falling into chaos.

     Crackdown

    The UGTT was initially slow to criticize Saied while political parties accused him of staging a coup, but as the president consolidated his grip while ignoring the union and other players, it began to openly challenge him.

    A senior union official was detained last month for organizing a strike by highway tollbooth operators, prompting the UGTT’s newspaper to accuse Saied of declaring war on the organization and its million members.

    This week authorities barred foreign labour union leaders from entering Tunisia to take part in the rally in solidarity with the UGTT, and Saied said he would not accept foreigners joining protests.

    The size of Saturday’s rally underscored that the union remains a powerful adversary that Saied may struggle to bat aside as he moves to sideline other opponents in the wake of a parliamentary election that had very low support.

    With Tunisia’s economy in crisis, state finances on the brink of bankruptcy, and shortages of key goods, the potential for public anger may grow.

    Over recent weeks police have detained more than a dozen prominent opposition figures, mostly tied to the coalition of parties and protesters that is planning to rally on Sunday, accusing them of conspiring against state security.

    Those arrested include politicians from the Islamist Ennahda, which was the biggest party in the shuttered parliament, leaders of a protest group, the head of Tunisia’s main independent media outlet, and a prominent businessman.

    “Saied is threatening everyone here. Parties, civil society, and unions. All freedoms … Tunisians are here to say we cannot accept populism and nascent dictatorship,” said Najeh Zidi, a teacher at the protest.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    SERAP asks Tinubu to probe N2.9bn missing funds in NIGCOMSAT, NNRA

    Tinubu participates in APC primary, praises party’s democracy

    INEC: We’ll review court verdict on 2027 election timetable before taking action

    INEC: We’ll review court verdict on 2027 election timetable before taking action

    Three dead as WHO investigates Hantavirus outbreak on cruise ship

    WHO loses member country as Argentina quits

    Tinubu meets Mutfwang at Aso Rock over Plateau killings

    2027: Plateau gov wins APC governorship primaries

    Peter Obi reacts to the kidnapping of students in Borno and Oyo states, describing the attacks as a threat to Nigeria’s future and education sector.

    Obi denies running from Atiku ahead 2027 election

    Former Minister of Power Adebayo Adelabu, who resigned to contest the Oyo governorship primaries, has failed to clinch the ticket of the All Progressives Congress, APC.

    Adelabu loses APC gov ticket in Oyo after quitting as minister

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    SERAP asks Tinubu to probe N2.9bn missing funds in NIGCOMSAT, NNRA

    Tinubu participates in APC primary, praises party’s democracy

    May 23, 2026
    INEC: We’ll review court verdict on 2027 election timetable before taking action

    INEC: We’ll review court verdict on 2027 election timetable before taking action

    May 23, 2026
    Three dead as WHO investigates Hantavirus outbreak on cruise ship

    WHO loses member country as Argentina quits

    May 23, 2026
    Tinubu meets Mutfwang at Aso Rock over Plateau killings

    2027: Plateau gov wins APC governorship primaries

    May 23, 2026
    Peter Obi reacts to the kidnapping of students in Borno and Oyo states, describing the attacks as a threat to Nigeria’s future and education sector.

    Obi denies running from Atiku ahead 2027 election

    May 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.