Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Grealish, Maguire dropped from England final squad list

    Maguire ‘shocked’ to miss Tuchel’s England World Cup squad

    May 21, 2026
    Aliyu sacks all Sokoto educational authorities

    Sokoto: APC endorses Aliyu for second term

    May 21, 2026
    Kano gov Yusuf suspends loan vendors after N1.8bn Illegal salary deductions

    Yusuf emerges APC consensus candidate for Kano gov poll

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Maguire ‘shocked’ to miss Tuchel’s England World Cup squad
    • Sokoto: APC endorses Aliyu for second term
    • Yusuf emerges APC consensus candidate for Kano gov poll
    • Jonathan: Thugs fly first class while professors struggle to travel economy
    • FA opens Southampton investigation over Spygate
    • WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139
    • Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty
    • Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Thursday, May 21
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    World’s richest man Jeff Bezos accuses National Enquirer of blackmail

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorFebruary 8, 2019No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Jeff Bezos has accused the National Enquirer of blackmail
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    Jeff Bezos has accused the National Enquirer of blackmail
    Jeff Bezos has accused the National Enquirer of blackmail

    The world’s richest man, Amazon.com founder Jeff Bezos, has accused the National Enquirer’s owner of trying to blackmail him over lewd pictures.

    Mr Bezos said the magazine’s parent company American Media Inc (AMI) wanted him to drop an investigation into how it obtained his private messages.

    Mr Bezos and his wife, MacKenzie, said last month they were getting divorced.

    Their announcement came just before the National Enquirer carried reports about the tech titan’s extramarital affair.

    AMI has not yet responded to the BBC’s request for comment.

    What does Bezos claim?

    In a stunning blog post on Thursday, Mr Bezos posted an email he said had been sent to his intermediaries by AMI’s representatives threatening to publish “intimate photos” of Mr Bezos and his lover, former TV host Lauren Sanchez.

    The billionaire, who also owns the Washington Post, said AMI had wanted him to make a “false public statement” that the National Enquirer’s coverage of him and his mistress was not politically motivated.

    Jeff Bezos and his estranged wife MacKenzie Bezos
    Jeff Bezos and his estranged wife MacKenzie Bezos

    According to emails included by Mr Bezos in his blog, an AMI lawyer proposed on Wednesday that the photos would not be published in return for a public statement “affirming that [Bezos and his team] have no knowledge or basis” to suspect such a motive.

    “Rather than capitulate to extortion and blackmail,” wrote Mr Bezos, “I’ve decided to publish exactly what they sent me, despite the personal cost and embarrassment they threaten.”

    Early in the blog post, Mr Bezos mentions AMI’s links to President Donald Trump.

    Why does he mention President Trump?

    Mr Bezos said his ownership of the Washington Post was a “complexifier” for him because he had made enemies of “certain powerful people”, including President Donald Trump, who is a friend of AMI’s boss David Pecker.

    AMI recently admitted it had co-ordinated with the Trump presidential campaign to pay a Playboy model $150,000 (£115,000) in hush money to keep quiet about her alleged affair with Mr Trump.

    Mr Bezos notes in his blog post how the publisher confessed to the so-called “catch and kill” deal to bury Karen McDougal’s politically embarrassing story.

    Former TV host Lauren Sanchez is reported to be in a relationship with Mr Bezos
    Former TV host Lauren Sanchez is reported to be in a relationship with Mr Bezos

    AMI’s agreement to co-operate with federal authorities means it will not face criminal charges over the payments, Manhattan prosecutors announced in December.

    Mr Trump’s former lawyer Michael Cohen – who facilitated the hush money at the direction, he says, of Mr Trump – has already admitted violating campaign finance laws.

    What about Bezos’ reputation?

    The Amazon boss didn’t try to hide the potential for embarrassment, writing “of course I don’t want personal photos published” and noting what he called “AMI’s long-earned reputation for weaponising journalistic privileges”.

    READ: ASUU calls of nationwide strike

    “But,” he continued, “I also won’t participate in their well-known practice of blackmail, political favours, political attacks, and corruption. I prefer to stand up, roll this log over, and see what crawls out.”

    His blog contained itemised details of 10 pictures in an email from the magazine’s editor Dylan Howard, who said they had been “obtained during our newsgathering”.

    New Yorker writer Ronan Farrow alleged that he “and at least one other prominent journalist” had been subject to similar threats from AMI.

    I and at least one other prominent journalist involved in breaking stories about the National Enquirer’s arrangement with Trump fielded similar “stop digging or we’ll ruin you” blackmail efforts from AMI. (I did not engage as I don’t cut deals with subjects of ongoing reporting.) https://t.co/kHQdWIkVjV

    — Ronan Farrow (@RonanFarrow) February 8, 2019

    Mr Bezos said “AMI’s claim of newsworthiness is that the photos are necessary to show Amazon shareholders that my business judgment is terrible”.

    But the Amazon boss countered that the firm’s results “speak for themselves”.

    Dylan Howard’s name, along with two National Enquirer reporters, appears on a story the magazine published on 9 January containing alleged details of Mr Bezos’ affair with Ms Sanchez.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Aliyu sacks all Sokoto educational authorities

    Sokoto: APC endorses Aliyu for second term

    Kano gov Yusuf suspends loan vendors after N1.8bn Illegal salary deductions

    Yusuf emerges APC consensus candidate for Kano gov poll

    Jonathan: Thugs fly first class while professors struggle to travel economy

    Jonathan: Thugs fly first class while professors struggle to travel economy

    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Grealish, Maguire dropped from England final squad list

    Maguire ‘shocked’ to miss Tuchel’s England World Cup squad

    May 21, 2026
    Aliyu sacks all Sokoto educational authorities

    Sokoto: APC endorses Aliyu for second term

    May 21, 2026
    Kano gov Yusuf suspends loan vendors after N1.8bn Illegal salary deductions

    Yusuf emerges APC consensus candidate for Kano gov poll

    May 21, 2026
    Jonathan: Thugs fly first class while professors struggle to travel economy

    Jonathan: Thugs fly first class while professors struggle to travel economy

    May 21, 2026
    Southampton had been looking for an immediate return to the Premier League having been relegated at the end of the 2024-25 season

    FA opens Southampton investigation over Spygate

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.