Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Sanwo-Olu The Lagos State Internal Revenue Service has declared that it will use third-party agents to collect unpaid taxes from defaulting taxpayers, including banks, employers, debtors, tenants, and business partners.

    Lagos bans transportation of goods on public buses

    May 20, 2026
    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO fears Congo Ebola outbreak has spread beyond borders

    May 20, 2026
    NDC shifts deadline for legislative, governorship forms to May 24

    NDC shifts deadline for legislative, governorship forms to May 24

    May 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Lagos bans transportation of goods on public buses
    • WHO fears Congo Ebola outbreak has spread beyond borders
    • NDC shifts deadline for legislative, governorship forms to May 24
    • Ronaldo leads Portugal’s 2026 World Cup squad
    • Arsenal win first EPL title in 22 years after Man City slip at Bournemouth
    • PDP grants Jonathan waiver, clears him for presidential race
    • Igboho expresses readiness to combat terrorists in south-west
    • Gowon reaffirms love for Nigeria in autobiography ‘My Life of Duty & Allegiance’
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Wednesday, May 20
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    WHO fears Congo Ebola outbreak has spread beyond borders

    Opalim LiftedBy Opalim LiftedMay 20, 2026No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The World Health Organization (WHO) has warned that the ongoing Congo Ebola outbreak may already have spread beyond the borders of the Democratic Republic of the Congo and into other provinces.

    Anne Ancia said ongoing investigations were revealing wider transmission of the virus than initially believed.

    “The more we are investigating this outbreak, the more we realise that it has already disseminated at least a little bit across border and also in other provinces,” Ancia said, according to the BBC.

    She described Ituri Province, the epicentre of the outbreak, as a highly insecure region with significant population movement, complicating efforts to trace infections and contain the disease.

    Ancia added that the outbreak had also spread to South Kivu Province, an area already facing a prolonged humanitarian crisis.

    The outbreak has killed at least 131 people, while neighbouring Uganda has recorded one death linked to cross-border transmission.

    • Ebola deaths in Congo rise to 131 amid outbreak

    Health officials said more than 513 Ebola cases were suspected in Congo as of Tuesday.

    The WHO recently declared the outbreak a public health emergency of international concern after consultations with authorities in DR Congo and Uganda, citing the growing risk of international spread.

    However, the agency said the situation has not yet reached the threshold for a pandemic emergency under International Health Regulations.

    Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said he was “deeply concerned about the scale and speed of the epidemic”.

    A modelling study released on Monday by the MRC Centre for Global Infectious Disease Analysis suggested the true scale of infections may be far higher than official figures show.

    The study warned there had been “substantial” under-detection and estimated that more than 1,000 infections could already have occurred.

    Researchers added that the outbreak was “larger than currently ascertained” and that its “true magnitude remains uncertain”.

    There is currently no approved vaccine for the strain of Ebola driving the latest outbreak, although the WHO said it is assessing whether existing treatments could provide some protection.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Sanwo-Olu The Lagos State Internal Revenue Service has declared that it will use third-party agents to collect unpaid taxes from defaulting taxpayers, including banks, employers, debtors, tenants, and business partners.

    Lagos bans transportation of goods on public buses

    NDC shifts deadline for legislative, governorship forms to May 24

    NDC shifts deadline for legislative, governorship forms to May 24

    Jonathan wins 2025 Sunhak Peace Prize

    PDP grants Jonathan waiver, clears him for presidential race

    Sunday Igboho backs Kemi Badenoch, tells Shettima to focus on Nigeria’s 

    Igboho expresses readiness to combat terrorists in south-west

    Jonathan: Abaribe urges Gowon to 'write his own book, reveal truth about 1966 coup'

    Gowon reaffirms love for Nigeria in autobiography ‘My Life of Duty & Allegiance’

    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    Ebola deaths in Congo rise to 131 amid outbreak

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Sanwo-Olu The Lagos State Internal Revenue Service has declared that it will use third-party agents to collect unpaid taxes from defaulting taxpayers, including banks, employers, debtors, tenants, and business partners.

    Lagos bans transportation of goods on public buses

    May 20, 2026
    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO fears Congo Ebola outbreak has spread beyond borders

    May 20, 2026
    NDC shifts deadline for legislative, governorship forms to May 24

    NDC shifts deadline for legislative, governorship forms to May 24

    May 19, 2026
    Cristiano Ronaldo topped Ali Daei to be the highest goal scorer in men's football

    Ronaldo leads Portugal’s 2026 World Cup squad

    May 19, 2026
    Arsenal players celebrate winning the Premier League title after Manchester City drew with Bournemouth.

    Arsenal win first EPL title in 22 years after Man City slip at Bournemouth

    May 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.