Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Shettima says allies warned Tinubu against wearing gifted campaign outfits

    Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president

    May 20, 2026
    Rabiu Kwankwaso speaking during a political event amid ADC crisis speculation

    Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges

    May 20, 2026
    Gbajabiamila behind my ordeal, detained journalist reveals on Inside Sources

    Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliott withdraws

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president
    • Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges
    • Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliott withdraws
    • DHQ says Oyo school attacks not evidence of terrorist base in South-West
    • Desmond Elliot alleges intimidation, withdraws from APC primary
    • Nigeria intensifies airport surveillance over Ebola outbreak fears
    • Students flee Oyo schools as police dismiss terrorist attack rumours
    • Bwala urges Nigerians to defend themselves against terrorists
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Wednesday, May 20
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    US weakens ISIS, kills leader Abu Sayed

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorJuly 15, 2017No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi
    ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi

    The United States has said that its forces have killed Abu Sayed, the leader of ISIS-Khorasan, the terror group’s affiliate in Afghanistan.

    The news comes days after ISIS admitted its 45-year-old leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi was killed in an air strike in the Iraqi province of Nineveh.

    Chief Pentagon spokesperson Dana White said in a statement said Sayed was killed “in a strike on the group’s headquarters in Kunar Province on July 11.

    US Navy Captain Bill Salvin, spokesman for US Forces Afghanistan who provided additional detail of how Abu Sayed was killed said he was killed in an airstrike by a US drone.

    The initial Pentagon statement noted that Sayed was killed in a “raid”.

    Secretary of Defense James Mattis told reporters that the death of Sayed “sets them back for a day a week, a month, it’s about who he is and what kind of people are below them.

    READ: Russia lobbyist confirm attending Trump Jr meeting

    It is obviously a victory on our side in terms of setting them back, it’s the right direction.”

    Gen. John Nicholson, Commander, US Forces Afghanistan said in a statement, “This operation is another success in our campaign to defeat ISIS-K in Afghanistan in 2017.

    Abu Sayed is the third ISIS-K emir we have killed in the last year and we will continue until they are annihilated. There is no safe haven for ISIS-K in Afghanistan.”

    It would be recalled that Hafiz Sayed Khan was killed in July 2016 and another emir Abdul Hasib was killed during a joint U.S.-Afghan commando raid in April.

    April’s raid also resulted in the deaths of several other high ranking leaders of ISIS-K, the terror group’s regional branch, and 35 ISIS fighters.

    However, two American soldiers died in the attack.

    The presence of Sayed in Kunar is noteworthy; the other two leaders were killed in neighbouring Nangarhar province the terror organisation’s traditional power base.

    Afghan and US forces launched a counter ISIS-K offensive in early March 2017 and General John Nicholson, the commander of US and NATO troops in Afghanistan, has pledged to drive the terror group out of Afghanistan by the end of 2017.

    Unlike elsewhere in Afghanistan where U.S. troops primarily serve a training and supporting role, U.S. special operations forces have been directly engaged in the offensive against ISIS in Afghanistan, conducting raids and strikes in the country’s eastern provinces.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Shettima says allies warned Tinubu against wearing gifted campaign outfits

    Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president

    Rabiu Kwankwaso speaking during a political event amid ADC crisis speculation

    Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges

    Gbajabiamila behind my ordeal, detained journalist reveals on Inside Sources

    Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliott withdraws

    DHQ dismisses fears of terrorist stronghold after Oyo school attacks

    DHQ says Oyo school attacks not evidence of terrorist base in South-West

    Desmond Elliot speaking during an interview on Channels Television about the attempted impeachment of Mudashiru Obasa.

    Desmond Elliot alleges intimidation, withdraws from APC primary

    Nigeria intensifies airport surveillance over Ebola outbreak fears

    Nigeria intensifies airport surveillance over Ebola outbreak fears

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Shettima says allies warned Tinubu against wearing gifted campaign outfits

    Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president

    May 20, 2026
    Rabiu Kwankwaso speaking during a political event amid ADC crisis speculation

    Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges

    May 20, 2026
    Gbajabiamila behind my ordeal, detained journalist reveals on Inside Sources

    Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliott withdraws

    May 20, 2026
    DHQ dismisses fears of terrorist stronghold after Oyo school attacks

    DHQ says Oyo school attacks not evidence of terrorist base in South-West

    May 20, 2026
    Desmond Elliot speaking during an interview on Channels Television about the attempted impeachment of Mudashiru Obasa.

    Desmond Elliot alleges intimidation, withdraws from APC primary

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.