Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Baba Malam Wali wins APC governorship ticket in Yobe

    Baba Malam Wali wins APC governorship ticket in Yobe

    May 22, 2026
    Alvaro Arbeloa appointed as Real Madrid head coach after Alonso exit

    Alvaro Arbeloa confirms Real Madrid departure

    May 22, 2026
    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent manager

    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent head coach until 2028

    May 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Baba Malam Wali wins APC governorship ticket in Yobe
    • Alvaro Arbeloa confirms Real Madrid departure
    • Man United confirm Carrick as permanent head coach until 2028
    • Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola’s exit
    • Man City confirm Guardiola exit after trophy-filled 10-year reign
    • Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo
    • JUST IN: Sani approves nearly N1bn for Kaduna workers’ entitlements
    • Trump sends 5000 US troops to Poland, NATO gives nod
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Friday, May 22
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    UN, Bill Gates defend WHO after Trump attack

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorApril 15, 2020No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    President Donald Trump falsely claimed there is an AIDS vaccine
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The United Nations Secretary General António Guterres has criticised US President Donald Trump for wanting to cut funding to the World Health Organization, saying now was “not the time” to reduce resources for the WHO.

    “Now is the time for unity and for the international community to work together in solidarity to stop this virus and its shattering consequences,” Guterres said.

    Trump had earlier accused the WHO of “severely mismanaging and covering up the spread of the coronavirus” and said the US would halt funding pending a review of the situation.

    Guterres however stressed the WHO was “on the front lines, supporting member states and their societies, especially the most vulnerable among them, with guidance, training, equipment and concrete life-saving services”.

    “It is my belief that the World Health Organization must be supported, as it is absolutely critical to the world’s efforts to win the war against Covid-19.”

    Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates and his wife Melinda have also said President Trump’s decision to halt funding for the World Health Organization (WHO) is “as dangerous as it sounds”.

    • Trump sacks official who triggered impeachment

    “Halting funding for the World Health Organization during a world health crisis is as dangerous as it sounds. Their work is slowing the spread of COVID-19 and if that work is stopped no other organization can replace them. The world needs WHO now more than ever,” they responded on Twitter.

    Their organisation, the Gates Foundation, is one of the WHO’s largest donors.

    What organisations has the US left?

    If the US stops funding the WHO permanently, it will cease to become a member. It would not be the first international organisation or agreement it has left:

    • UN Human Rights Council: The US announced its withdrawal in June 2018, accusing the UNHRC of “unending hostility towards Israel”
    • The Paris climate agreement: President Trump confirmed the withdrawal last year – it will take effect this year
    • The Iran nuclear deal: Mr Trump called the deal “embarrassing” when withdrawing in 2018. Remaining European signatories have since accused Iran of numerous breaches
    • International Criminal Court: The US has never been a member of the ICC and in 2018, then-National Security Adviser John Bolton said the US would stop co-operating entirely
    • Trans-Pacific Partnership: Days into his presidency, Mr Trump signed an executive order to withdraw from the 12-nation trade deal
    • Unesco (part one): The US announced its withdrawal from the UN cultural organisation in 1984, citing, among other things, “endemic hostility toward the institutions of a free society”
    • Unesco (part two): After rejoining under President George W Bush, the US stopped paying fees in 2011, under President Obama, in protest at Palestinian admission. The US lost its voting rights in 2013
    • Unesco (part three): The US announced its full withdrawal in 2017, citing “anti-Israel” bias

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Baba Malam Wali wins APC governorship ticket in Yobe

    Baba Malam Wali wins APC governorship ticket in Yobe

    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    Kaduna State Governor Uba Sani addressing judiciary staff union leaders during a meeting at Sir Kashim Ibrahim House in Kaduna.

    JUST IN: Sani approves nearly N1bn for Kaduna workers’ entitlements

    Trump : You're on your own, US tells citizens in Israel amid Middle East tensions 

    Trump sends 5000 US troops to Poland, NATO gives nod

    Nigerians reacting on social media to the appointment of Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar announced by President Tinubu.

    Mixed reactions trail JAMB registrar Segun Aina appointment

    The Governor of Benue State, Hyacinth Alia, has expressed deep sorrow over the death of ten people in a tragic accident in the Okete community, Ohimini Local Government Area.

    Alia wins Benue APC governorship primary election

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Baba Malam Wali wins APC governorship ticket in Yobe

    Baba Malam Wali wins APC governorship ticket in Yobe

    May 22, 2026
    Alvaro Arbeloa appointed as Real Madrid head coach after Alonso exit

    Alvaro Arbeloa confirms Real Madrid departure

    May 22, 2026
    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent manager

    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent head coach until 2028

    May 22, 2026
    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola's exit

    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola’s exit

    May 22, 2026
    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola's exit

    Man City confirm Guardiola exit after trophy-filled 10-year reign

    May 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.