Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    February 20, 2026
    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    Mirabel admits lying over rape claim

    February 20, 2026
    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected Terrorists.

    Terrorists kill 33 in fresh Kebbi attack

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim
    • Mirabel admits lying over rape claim
    • Terrorists kill 33 in fresh Kebbi attack
    • Shehu Sani says e-transmission not enough for credible elections 
    • EFCC docks two over alleged N143m fraud in Benin
    • Osinbajo hails Otti’s reforms in Abia
    • SERAP asks court to strike out DSS N5.5bn suit
    • NOA slams traders over Ramadan, Lent food price spike
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Friday, February 20
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Turkey arrests 29 footballers, club presidents over betting scandal

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoDecember 5, 2025No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Turkey announced that 46 people, including 29 football players, had been arrested over an investigation of betting on Turkish football matches.
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The Istanbul public prosecutor’s office in Turkey announced Friday that 46 people, including 29 football players, had been arrested as part of a large-scale investigation into illicit betting on Turkish football matches.

    According to a statement from the prosecutor’s office, 27 of the arrested players are suspected of betting on matches involving their own teams in which they were playing.

    In early November, the Istanbul prosecutor’s office said that eighteen persons were being held in Turkey as part of an investigation into referees accused of betting on football matches.

    A week earlier, the TFF punished 149 referees accused of betting on matches.

    The Turkish Football Federation (TFF) announced that its disciplinary committee has imposed sanctions of eight to twelve months on many officials involved in the ongoing betting scandal.

    According to the federation, investigations into three additional referees are still ongoing.

    According to the TFF’s results, a survey of 571 referees working in Turkey’s professional leagues revealed that 371 had opened sports betting accounts and 152 had placed wagers.

    Among those identified in the federation’s recent statement was Metehan Baltacı of reigning champions Galatasaray, who had previously received a nine-month ban earlier this month.

    The controversy has caused shockwaves throughout Turkish football. On November 10, six referees were detained in pre-trial detention, along with the head of Eyüpspor, a top-tier Super Lig club.

    Prosecutors did not reveal the identity of the other 26 players accused of betting on matches involving their own clubs, but they did clarify that Fenerbahçe midfielder Mert Hakan Yandaş allegedly placed bets using another person’s account.

    According to authorities, 35 of the 46 people identified in the arrest warrants have been apprehended, with five suspects believed to be outside the country.

    The warrants also target two club presidents accused of attempting to influence the outcome of a third-division match during the 2023-2024 season.

    The encounter attracted suspicions because no team tried a single shot on goal, which Turkish media say prompted the larger probe.

    To date, the TFF has suspended over 1,000 players nationally, including 25 from the Super Lig. The penalties range from a 45-day ban to a year’s punishment.

    Only one foreign player, Konyaspor’s Senegalese winger Alassane Ndao, received a 12-month suspension.

    The majority of those punished—more than 900—compete in the country’s third and fourth tiers.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    FA Cup Crystal Palace whip Everton at Selhurst Park

    Crystal Palace waste lead to draw Zrinjski 1-1

    Ghana fans at an Africa football game

    When African fans started reading the game like experts

    Morocco seeks two years jail for 18 Senegalese fans

    Morocco seeks two years jail for 18 Senegalese fans

    Vinicius Junior scored a spectacular winner for Real Madrid against Benfica in their Champions League play-off first leg, which was stopped for 10 minutes for alleged racist abuse.

    Vinicius gets support from football stars over racist abuse incident

    Club Brugge netted a thrilling late equalizer while battling back twice against Atletico Madrid, leaving their Champions League knockout phase play-off tie finely balanced.

    UCL: Club Brugge score late equalizer against Atletico Madrid

    Bodo/Glimt

    Bodo/Glimt get shocking 3-1 UCL victory over Inter Milan

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    February 20, 2026
    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    Mirabel admits lying over rape claim

    February 20, 2026
    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected Terrorists.

    Terrorists kill 33 in fresh Kebbi attack

    February 20, 2026
    Shehu Sani: E-transmission not enough for credible elections 

    Shehu Sani says e-transmission not enough for credible elections 

    February 20, 2026
    EFCC docks two over alleged N143m fraud in Benin

    EFCC docks two over alleged N143m fraud in Benin

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.