No fewer than 28 people, including the chief imam of Ungushi Izala Jumu’at Mosque, Imam Aliyu, were reportedly killed when terrorists attacked the Ungushi community in Kebbe Local Government Area of Sokoto State on Sunday evening.
The attack occurred amid growing security worries in Kebbe, where towns have recently suffered threats from armed militants purportedly related to the Lakurawa terrorists organization.
DSP Ahmed Rufai, the command’s spokesman, confirmed the incident but said it was difficult to determine the exact number of victims.
He did, however, say that 28 bodies were discovered following the tragedy.
According to residents, the attackers attacked Ungushi in the evening and started fire on the population, killing 22 individuals, the most of whom were civilians.
The execution of Imam Aliyu by the terrorists, a revered religious leader in the village, has particularly horrified neighbors, who claim the victims included farmers, traders, religious leaders, and other community members.
A local, speaking on the condition of anonymity for security reasons, stated, “These are ordinary people. They are farmers, traders, religious leaders, and family members. They have done nothing to deserve this.”
Another source stated that the attack had heightened fear among residents, with some families fleeing their homes following reports of fresh displacement from neighboring communities.
“People are no longer sleeping peacefully. Families are leaving their homes because they fear another attack. We need urgent intervention before more communities are deserted,” the source said.
The new fatalities came after allegations on Friday that a huge group of armed men on motorbikes had entered portions of Kebbe LGA, allegedly attacking civilians, stealing shops, and destroying property.
The Sokoto State Police Command confirmed that an incident occurred in the region but stated it was currently gathering facts before issuing a more complete statement.
In light of the repeated threats, Maj. Gen. Bemgba Koughna, General Officer Commanding, 8 Division, Nigerian Army, paid a visit to the Forward Operating Base in Kebbe on Sunday to review the security situation and reassure civilians that troops were ready to address the threats.
Koughna also visited with community leaders and locals to listen to their concerns and assess the security situation in the area.
He stated that the Nigerian Army had changed its security architecture to prevent additional terrorist infiltration and to protect vulnerable communities.
“Troops remain fully deployed, highly alert, and operationally focused on protecting lives and property,” the GOC said.
He also mentioned that measures had been put in place to ensure emerging threats were quickly identified and contained before they escalated.
“The Nigerian Army remains unwavering in its determination to respond swiftly and decisively to any emerging threats,” Koughna said.
The Army boss assured residents that terrorist elements would not be allowed to establish safe havens in Kebbe and its surrounding communities.
“We will continue to maintain a robust presence in this area and ensure that our troops remain ready to respond to any threat to the peace and security of the people,” he said.
Koughna told residents not to panic and appealed for stronger collaboration between the military and communities, particularly through timely sharing of credible intelligence.
“Community support remains a critical component in detecting, disrupting, and dismantling terrorist networks before they can launch attacks,” he said.
He advised community leaders and residents to report unusual movements, strange people, and other actions that may represent a security risk.
The GOC reaffirmed troops’ commitment to defend lives, property, and essential infrastructure in Kebbe and other vulnerable towns throughout the operational area.
“We will not allow criminal elements to intimidate our people or disrupt their livelihoods. Our troops are prepared and will continue to operate with determination and professionalism,” he said.









