Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    How Ogun teacher abducted, killed WASSCE candidate, spent ransom on sports betting

    How Ogun teacher abducted, killed WASSCE candidate, spent ransom on sports betting

    May 23, 2026
    Colombia mine explosion kills nine

    Gas explosion kills 82 in China coal mine

    May 23, 2026
    Rotimi Amaechi

    Amaechi accuses Tinubu of creating hunger to bribe voters with rice

    May 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • How Ogun teacher abducted, killed WASSCE candidate, spent ransom on sports betting
    • Gas explosion kills 82 in China coal mine
    • Amaechi accuses Tinubu of creating hunger to bribe voters with rice
    • Amaechi declares self most qualified ADC presidential aspirant
    • Shan George to Chike: Sleeping with another man’s wife attracts curses, apologise to Frank Edoho
    • Amaechi claims he made Buhari president, rules out Tinubu’s role
    • Terrorists allegedly open talks with Makinde over Oyo school abduction
    • Trump orders Nigerians, others to apply for green cards from home countries
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Saturday, May 23
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Sowore mobilises 1m supporters for #FreeNnamdiKanu protest

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoOctober 20, 2025No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    IPOB has said that its leader, Nnamdi Kanu, ordered the total cancellation of the Monday sit-at-home across the South-East, with effect from February 9, 2026.
    IPOB leader Nnamdi Kanu
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Human rights activist Omoyele Sowore has urged Nigerians to join a nationwide protest demanding the release of arrested Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) leader Nnamdi Kanu, despite a court order prohibiting protests near important government sites in Abuja.

    On Monday morning, Sowore called on Nigerians to take to the streets in peaceful protest via X (previously Twitter).

    “Good morning, wherever you are this morning, don’t stop moving. Carry a sign, perform a song, and make a statement!” He wrote.

    On Sunday night, he sent a message welcoming protesters with the hashtag #FreeNnamdiKanuNow.

    “We warmly welcome everyone who has travelled from far and wide to join the #FreeNnamdiKanuNow protest tomorrow. Your courage, sacrifice, and solidarity speak volumes. Together, we are writing history,” he wrote.

    Sowore said that demonstrators would gather in front of the Transcorp Hilton Hotel in Abuja at 7 a.m., urging people to “come ready, come peaceful, and come determined.”

    He also posted on Facebook, “We want to put one million people on the streets of Abuja tomorrow for #FreeNnamdiKanuNow—let’s make it happen.”

    However, the planned march violates an interim injunction issued by Justice Mohammed Umar of the Federal High Court in Abuja, which prohibits Sowore and other organizers from protesting in or near sensitive government areas such as the Presidential Villa, National Assembly Complex, Force Headquarters, Court of Appeal, Eagle Square, and Shehu Shagari Way.

    On Saturday, Sowore questioned the order’s validity and the perception of double standards in law enforcement.

    “Suppose a court order truly exists restricting protests around Aso Rock Villa; it begs the question: why hasn’t the same police force obtained a similar order against those protesting freely for three consecutive days opposing Nnamdi Kanu’s release?” Sowore asked.

    “The hypocrisy is glaring. The double standards are undeniable,” he added.

    The activist stated that his legal team, which includes 115 lawyers, will oppose the supposed court order once it is formally served on Monday.

    He insisted that the scheduled October 20 #FreeNnamdiKanuNow demonstration would be a peaceful and legal march, adding, “October 20 #FreeNnamdiKanuNow remains sacrosanct.” “We march peacefully, legally, and powerfully.”

    The demonstration also coincides with the fifth anniversary of the #EndSARS protests in October 2020, which culminated in the alleged Lekki Toll Gate massacre—a time now recognized for its call for police reform and justice for victims of brutality.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    How Ogun teacher abducted, killed WASSCE candidate, spent ransom on sports betting

    How Ogun teacher abducted, killed WASSCE candidate, spent ransom on sports betting

    Colombia mine explosion kills nine

    Gas explosion kills 82 in China coal mine

    Rotimi Amaechi

    Amaechi accuses Tinubu of creating hunger to bribe voters with rice

    ADC south-south backs Amaechi for 2027 presidency

    Amaechi declares self most qualified ADC presidential aspirant

    Shan George to Chike: Sleeping with another man’s wife attracts curses, apologise to Frank Edoho

    Shan George to Chike: Sleeping with another man’s wife attracts curses, apologise to Frank Edoho

    Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi has been conferred with the Dan Amana title by the Emir of Daura on Saturday

    Amaechi claims he made Buhari president, rules out Tinubu’s role

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    How Ogun teacher abducted, killed WASSCE candidate, spent ransom on sports betting

    How Ogun teacher abducted, killed WASSCE candidate, spent ransom on sports betting

    May 23, 2026
    Colombia mine explosion kills nine

    Gas explosion kills 82 in China coal mine

    May 23, 2026
    Rotimi Amaechi

    Amaechi accuses Tinubu of creating hunger to bribe voters with rice

    May 23, 2026
    ADC south-south backs Amaechi for 2027 presidency

    Amaechi declares self most qualified ADC presidential aspirant

    May 23, 2026
    Shan George to Chike: Sleeping with another man’s wife attracts curses, apologise to Frank Edoho

    Shan George to Chike: Sleeping with another man’s wife attracts curses, apologise to Frank Edoho

    May 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.