Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Governor Siminialayi Fubara has appointed a new chief of staff and also secretary to the Rivers State Government.

    Fubara withdraws from Rivers APC governorship primary

    May 21, 2026
    Aston Villa players celebrate after defeating Freiburg to win the Europa League final in Istanbul.

    Clinical Aston Villa outclass Freiburg to win Europa League

    May 21, 2026
    Shettima says allies warned Tinubu against wearing gifted campaign outfits

    Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Fubara withdraws from Rivers APC governorship primary
    • Clinical Aston Villa outclass Freiburg to win Europa League
    • Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president
    • Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges
    • Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliot withdraws
    • DHQ says Oyo school attacks not evidence of terrorist base in South-West
    • Desmond Elliot alleges intimidation, withdraws from APC primary
    • Nigeria intensifies airport surveillance over Ebola outbreak fears
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Thursday, May 21
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Soldiers kill 15 Boko Haram gunmen as terrorists attack troops in Sambisa

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorApril 28, 2017No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Tinubu to Nigerians, pray hard for troops battling insecurity
    Nigerian soldiers on security patrol in the northern region of the country
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    At least 15 gunmen believed to be Boko Haram fighters were shot dead during a fierce battle with soldiers inside Sambisa forest on Thursday morning, officials said.

    The gunmen, according to a release sent in from the 7 Division Nigeria Army on Thursday evening, attempted to attack troops’ base inside Sambisa forest.

    The attack came months after the Nigerian military received global accolades when it announced the final defeat of Boko Haram in the once dreaded Sambisa forest in December last year.

    To further demonstrate total victory over Boko Haram, the military organised its 2017 Nigeria Army Small Arms (NASA) competition in Sambisa forest where it now has a shooting range.
    But on Thursday morning, the insurgents made a daring incursion back into area by specifically attacking one of the troops’ locations in the forest.

    A statement by the spokesman of 7 Division, Nigerian Army, Kinsley Samuel, said but for the gallantry of the troops, the attackers who came with heavy arms cache would have possibly taken hold of the captured territory once again.
    Mr. Samuel, a lieutenant colonel, and deputy director, Army Public Relations, said the soldiers’ bravery was praised by top officers of the Nigerian Army.

    He said, “the Acting General Officer Commanding (GOC) 7 Division Nigerian Army, Brigadier General Victor Ezugwu commended the troops of 21 Brigade of the Division for delivering a devastating deep punch to Boko Haram terrorists leading to the capture of large quantities of terrorists’ equipment.

    “The troops resilience paid off with heavy battering of Boko Haram terrorists leading to the terrorist sustaining huge casualties in fighters and equipment. The terrorists paid dearly as the troops neutralized 15 of them and wounded several others.

    “In addition, the gallant troops made heavy seizures with the destruction of 1 vehicle bound Improvised Explosive Device (VBIED) belonging to the terrorists and capture of 1 Buffalo Gun truck mounted with Long Barrel Shilka Gun, 2 General Purpose Machine Gun, 1 PKM Gun, mortar tubes, 3 AK-47 rifles, 2 FN rifles, 1 G3 rifle. Others are 5 pieces of 60mm mortar Bombs, various GSM handsets, 36 Hand Grenade, 12 rifle magazines, Shilka fill tray, 750 rounds of 7.62mm (NATO) ammunition, 106 rounds of 32mm ammunition, a 12 volt battery, 3 Automatic Grenade Launcher bombs and 5 mortar charges, among others.
    “The GOC enjoined troops to remain resolute in the fight against the Boko Haram terrorists and insurgents in the North East in order to ensure total compliance with the Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Yusufu Buratai’s directive that remnants of Boko Haram terrorists are flushed out of Nigerian territory”, he said.

    Boko Haram has of recent upped its hostility around troops locations in Borno state.
    Few weeks ago, the insurgents attacked a troop location in Sabon Gari, a village along Maiduguri-Biu highway in southern part of Borno.

    A number of casualty were reportedly recorded on the side of the troops while a large number of munitions were carted away, before a reinforced deployment of soldier arrived to neutralise some of the terrorists.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Governor Siminialayi Fubara has appointed a new chief of staff and also secretary to the Rivers State Government.

    Fubara withdraws from Rivers APC governorship primary

    Shettima says allies warned Tinubu against wearing gifted campaign outfits

    Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president

    Rabiu Kwankwaso speaking during a political event amid ADC crisis speculation

    Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges

    Gbajabiamila behind my ordeal, detained journalist reveals on Inside Sources

    Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliot withdraws

    DHQ dismisses fears of terrorist stronghold after Oyo school attacks

    DHQ says Oyo school attacks not evidence of terrorist base in South-West

    Desmond Elliot speaking during an interview on Channels Television about the attempted impeachment of Mudashiru Obasa.

    Desmond Elliot alleges intimidation, withdraws from APC primary

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Governor Siminialayi Fubara has appointed a new chief of staff and also secretary to the Rivers State Government.

    Fubara withdraws from Rivers APC governorship primary

    May 21, 2026
    Aston Villa players celebrate after defeating Freiburg to win the Europa League final in Istanbul.

    Clinical Aston Villa outclass Freiburg to win Europa League

    May 21, 2026
    Shettima says allies warned Tinubu against wearing gifted campaign outfits

    Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president

    May 20, 2026
    Rabiu Kwankwaso speaking during a political event amid ADC crisis speculation

    Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges

    May 20, 2026
    Gbajabiamila behind my ordeal, detained journalist reveals on Inside Sources

    Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliot withdraws

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.