Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    The Senate Committee on Diaspora and Non-Governmental Organisations has voiced alarm about the growing trend of Nigerians travelling abroad

    Senate condemns Oyo abduction, demands immediate action

    May 18, 2026
    Seyi Makinde addressing supporters during the PDP–APM Alliance rally in Ibadan where he declared his 2027 presidential ambition.

    Makinde confirms seven teachers abducted, one killed in Oyo

    May 18, 2026
    Principal of Community High School, Esinele, appeals for help in a viral video after gunmen abducted teachers and students in Oyo State

    Oyo principal, nursing mother cry for help in kidnappers den

    May 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Senate condemns Oyo abduction, demands immediate action
    • Makinde confirms seven teachers abducted, one killed in Oyo
    • Oyo principal, nursing mother cry for help in kidnappers den
    • IGP visits Oyo communities after school attack, orders intensified rescue operations
    • Nigeria denies US ground troop role in killing of ISIS leader Al-Minuki
    • ‘Shamed into action’, Atiku slams FG’s response to South Africa xenophobic attacks
    • WHO declares DR Congo, Uganda Ebola outbreak global health emergency
    • 65 dead as DR Congo confirms new Ebola outbreak
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Monday, May 18
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Security guard bags life imprisonment for raping minor

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoJanuary 9, 2024No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    EU pushes consent-based rape definition across bloc
    A rape act
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Justice Rahman Oshodi of the Ikeja Sexual Offences and Domestic Violence Court sentenced Olawale Olarewaju, a security guard, to life in prison for sexual intercourse with a 12-year-old girl on Monday.

    The judge also chastised the Ikoyi Custodial Centre for lapses and delays in bringing the security guard, who had been in jail detention for eight years, to court.

    Justice Oshodi ruled that the matter was dismissed for want of diligent prosecution by Justice Sybil Nwaka (retd) because the correctional center failed to produce him for arraignment between 2016 and 2019, notwithstanding the issue of a reproduction warrant.

    He said: “The defendant was in the Ikoyi Custodial Centre and remained there for about eight years from the day of his remand until he was produced before me on January 3, 2023, for arraignment.

    “The proceedings demonstrated gaps in the operation of the Nigeria Correctional Service.

    “It is mind-boggling to hear that the defendant has been in the Ikoyi Custodial Center since 2016 but was brought to court for the first time in 2023.

    “The correctional center was directly responsible for the defendant’s long period of awaiting trial, and this is appalling.”

    Oshodi stated that the survivor’s testimony was consistent with that of her father, who was Prosecution Witness Two.

    He claimed the survivor offered a vivid and unwavering account of what the security guard did to her.

    “I believe her.

    “The defendant’s denial does not hold water, as he admitted knowing the prosecutrix but made a u-turn during cross-examination that he did not know her.

    “He also admitted that the prosecution came to the compound to fetch water,” he said.

    • Court remands driver over kidnap, rape of passenger

    The judge determined that Olarewaju contradicted himself, rendering his evidence-in-chief untrustworthy.

    He then convicted the guard of the accusation and sentenced him to life imprisonment.

    Oshodi stated that the convict’s name should be included in the Lagos State Government’s Sexual Offences Register.

    During the trial, the prosecution called two witnesses, and the defendant testified as the only witness.

    According to the prosecution, the offense violated Section 137 of Lagos State’s Criminal Laws, 2015.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    President Bola Tinubu and Rwandan President Paul Kagame during bilateral talks at the Africa CEO Forum in Kigali.

    Nigeria to adopt Rwanda-style 30-day visa-free policy for Africans

    Desmond Elliot revealed how 2020 EndSARS protesters almost burnt him alive

    Desmond Elliot apologises to Gbajabiamila over political fallout

    EFCC arraigns Blessing CEO over N36m fraud

    EFCC arraigns Blessing CEO over N36m fraud

    NUT rejects JAMB’s UTME waiver for NCE admission

    JAMB to allow candidates use personal computers for UTME

    Air Peace aircraft on runway amid aviation fuel crisis causing flight delays in Nigeria

    Air Peace cancels Lagos–London flight over technical glitches

    EFCC declares Timipre Sylva wanted

    Timipre Sylva: Court orders takeover of ex-gov’s properties

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    The Senate Committee on Diaspora and Non-Governmental Organisations has voiced alarm about the growing trend of Nigerians travelling abroad

    Senate condemns Oyo abduction, demands immediate action

    May 18, 2026
    Seyi Makinde addressing supporters during the PDP–APM Alliance rally in Ibadan where he declared his 2027 presidential ambition.

    Makinde confirms seven teachers abducted, one killed in Oyo

    May 18, 2026
    Principal of Community High School, Esinele, appeals for help in a viral video after gunmen abducted teachers and students in Oyo State

    Oyo principal, nursing mother cry for help in kidnappers den

    May 18, 2026
    IGP Olatunji Disu meeting security officials and residents in Oriire, Oyo State, after a deadly school attack and abductions.

    IGP visits Oyo communities after school attack, orders intensified rescue operations

    May 18, 2026
    Nigerian troops during counter-terrorism operations in Borno State after the killing of ISIS commander Abu Bilal Al-Minuki.

    Nigeria denies US ground troop role in killing of ISIS leader Al-Minuki

    May 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.