Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Arsenal players celebrate winning the Premier League title after Manchester City drew with Bournemouth.

    Arsenal win first EPL title in 22 years after Man City slip at Bournemouth

    May 19, 2026
    Jonathan wins 2025 Sunhak Peace Prize

    PDP grants Jonathan waiver, clears him for presidential race

    May 19, 2026
    Sunday Igboho backs Kemi Badenoch, tells Shettima to focus on Nigeria’s 

    Igboho expresses readiness to combat terrorists in south-west

    May 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Arsenal win first EPL title in 22 years after Man City slip at Bournemouth
    • PDP grants Jonathan waiver, clears him for presidential race
    • Igboho expresses readiness to combat terrorists in south-west
    • Gowon reaffirms love for Nigeria in autobiography ‘My Life of Duty & Allegiance’
    • Ebola deaths in Congo rise to 131 amid outbreak
    • DHQ confirms over 20 terrorists killed in coordinated US-Nigeria operation
    • JUST IN: EFCC arrests convicted ex-power minister Mamman in Kaduna
    • Adimike Godwin: NYSC member kills father in Abuja
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Tuesday, May 19
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    COVID-19: Saudi to allow only ‘vaccinated’ pilgrims into Mecca

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorApril 6, 2021No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Saudi Arabia slams $26,661 fine on Hajj visa violators
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Saudi authorities said Monday only people immunised against Covid-19 will be allowed to perform the year-round Umrah pilgrimage from the start of Ramadan, the holy fasting month for Muslims.

    The Hajj and Umrah ministry said in a statement that three categories of people would be considered “immunised” — those who have received two doses of the vaccine, those administered a single dose at least 14 days prior, and people who have recovered from the infection.

    Only those people will be eligible for permits to perform umrah, as well as to attend prayers in the Grand Mosque in the holy city of Mecca.

    It added that the condition also applies for entry into the Prophet’s Mosque in the holy city of Medina.

    The ministry said the policy starts with Ramadan, which is due to begin later this month, but it was unclear how long it would last.

    • Putin signs new law allowing him to rule until 2036

    It was also not clear whether the policy, which comes amid an uptick in coronavirus infections in the kingdom, would be extended to the annual hajj pilgrimage later this year.

    Saudi Arabia has reported more than 393,000 coronavirus infections and 6,700 deaths from Covid-19.

    The kingdom’s health ministry said it has administered more than five million coronavirus vaccines, in a country with a population of over 34 million.

    Last month, King Salman replaced the hajj minister, months after the kingdom hosted the smallest hajj in modern history due to the pandemic.

    Mohammad Benten was relieved from his post and replaced by Essam bin Saeed, according to a royal decree published by official Saudi Press Agency (SPA).

    The kingdom hosted the hajj in late July last year.

    • Egyptian Pharaohs paraded through Cairo in historic procession

    Only 10,000 Muslim residents of Saudi Arabia itself were allowed to take part, a far cry from the 2.5 million Muslims from around the world who participated in 2019.

    It is unclear how many pilgrims will be allowed for hajj this year.

    According to the pro-government Okaz newspaper, only vaccinated pilgrims will likely be permitted this year.

    In a relaxation of coronavirus curbs last October, Saudi Arabia opened the Grand Mosque for prayers for the first time in seven months and partially resumed the umrah pilgrimage.

    The umrah usually attracts millions of Muslims from across the globe each year.

    Authorities said the umrah will be allowed to return to full capacity once the threat of the pandemic has abated.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Jonathan wins 2025 Sunhak Peace Prize

    PDP grants Jonathan waiver, clears him for presidential race

    Sunday Igboho backs Kemi Badenoch, tells Shettima to focus on Nigeria’s 

    Igboho expresses readiness to combat terrorists in south-west

    Jonathan: Abaribe urges Gowon to 'write his own book, reveal truth about 1966 coup'

    Gowon reaffirms love for Nigeria in autobiography ‘My Life of Duty & Allegiance’

    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    Ebola deaths in Congo rise to 131 amid outbreak

    DHQ confirms over 20 terrorists killed in coordinated US-Nigeria operation

    DHQ confirms over 20 terrorists killed in coordinated US-Nigeria operation

    Former Power Minister Saleh Mamman arrested by EFCC operatives in Kaduna after corruption conviction and sentencing.

    JUST IN: EFCC arrests convicted ex-power minister Mamman in Kaduna

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Arsenal players celebrate winning the Premier League title after Manchester City drew with Bournemouth.

    Arsenal win first EPL title in 22 years after Man City slip at Bournemouth

    May 19, 2026
    Jonathan wins 2025 Sunhak Peace Prize

    PDP grants Jonathan waiver, clears him for presidential race

    May 19, 2026
    Sunday Igboho backs Kemi Badenoch, tells Shettima to focus on Nigeria’s 

    Igboho expresses readiness to combat terrorists in south-west

    May 19, 2026
    Jonathan: Abaribe urges Gowon to 'write his own book, reveal truth about 1966 coup'

    Gowon reaffirms love for Nigeria in autobiography ‘My Life of Duty & Allegiance’

    May 19, 2026
    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    Ebola deaths in Congo rise to 131 amid outbreak

    May 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.