Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Obidient movement lament IREV glitch in FCT polls

    Obidient movement lament IREV glitch in FCT polls

    February 21, 2026
    APC demands cancellation of Kano by-election over violence

    APC demands cancellation of Kano by-election over violence

    February 21, 2026
    Malen scores twice in Aston Villa 2-1 win against Young Boys

    Aston Villa comeback to play 1-1 draw against Leeds

    February 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Obidient movement lament IREV glitch in FCT polls
    • APC demands cancellation of Kano by-election over violence
    • Aston Villa comeback to play 1-1 draw against Leeds
    • Rivers bye-election peaceful, orderly amid voter apathy – INEC REC
    • Burnley score late to snatch draw against Chelsea
    • Chelsea sign new sponsorship deal with AI firm IFS
    • Rivers: Khana constituency 2 bye-election ends, results pending
    • PDP, NNPP, ADC missing on ballot papers of Kano by-election
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Saturday, February 21
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Rwanda shuts DR Congo border amid Ebola crisis

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorAugust 1, 2019No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    Rwanda shut border amid ebola outbreak
    Rwanda shut border amid Ebola outbreak

    Rwanda has restricted movement across its border with DR Congo, where an Ebola outbreak has killed more than 1,800 people in the past year.

    Parts of the border were closed after the third case of Ebola was identified in the Congolese border city of Goma, where two people have already died.

    It is the worst Ebola outbreak in the nation’s history: at least 2,700 people have so far been infected.

    The outbreak has been complicated by an active conflict zone.

    About 12 new cases are being reported every day in the Democratic Republic of Congo, the World Health Organization (WHO) reports.

    The biggest crossing point between the two countries was reopened after 12 hours, while a smaller one was expected to reopen later on Thursday.

    The border had been closed to “avoid unnecessary crossings” to Goma, said Gilbert Habayarimana, the mayor of Rubavu district in western Rwanda, which borders Goma.

    Earlier, the Congolese presidency said it “deplore[d] this decision, which runs counter to the advice of the WHO”.

    The WHO previously warned against trying to contain the virus by restricting travel or trade. Last week, it designated the outbreak a global health emergency, its highest level of alarm.

    READ ALSO: Nigeria Buries Soldiers At Night In Secret Cemetery

    The designation has only been used four times previously, including during the Ebola epidemic that killed more than 11,000 people in West Africa between 2014 and 2016.

    The border crossing was closed after more cases were reported in Goma, eastern DR Congo.

    Rwandans who cross the border for work voiced their concerns.

    “The closure is terrible for me. Yes, Ebola is a terrible thing, but living is what matters most,” Ernest Mvuyekure, a builder who works in Goma, told the BBC. “I’m more afraid of hunger than Ebola.”

    Claudine Uwitonze, who works in both the Rwandan city of Gisenyi and in Goma, said: “I’m so shocked now because my life depends on DR Congo. I’m afraid I’m going to die of hunger because I have nothing else to do”.

    Ebola is affecting two provinces of DR Congo – North Kivu and Ituri. Goma, home to two million people, is the capital of North Kivu and lies just across the border from the Gisenyi.

    Until now, the virus has been mostly confined to more remote areas, mostly around Beni and Butembo, to the north of Goma.

    Ebola has killed two people in Goma so far: a priest last month and an artisanal miner earlier this week.

    The miner came from the north-eastern province of Ituri and had been admitted to a health centre in Kiziba, on the outskirts of Goma, on 13 July. He tested positive for Ebola on Tuesday and died on Wednesday morning.

    According to a report by the AFP news agency, a third person – believed to be the miner’s daughter – is also infected.

    Yes, there is. It is 99% effective and more than 161,000 people have received it.

    However, not everybody is vaccinated – only those who come into direct contact with an Ebola patient, and people who come into contact with them. And some of those people refuse to take it.

    Source

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Ghana fans at an Africa football game

    When African fans started reading the game like experts

    Tinubu seeks Nigerians' forgiveness as Ramadan, Lent begin

    Tinubu advocates fairer African financial system

    Residents flee to Benin Republic as terrorists invade Niger again

    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    Tinubu seeks Nigerians' forgiveness as Ramadan, Lent begin

    Tinubu demands release of South Sudan VP Machar

    AU grants Nigeria permanent seat on African Central Bank Board

    AU grants Nigeria permanent seat on African Central Bank Board

    Aminu Gusau tops FG nominees for AU Eminent Persons Panel

    Aminu Gusau tops FG nominees for AU Eminent Persons Panel

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Obidient movement lament IREV glitch in FCT polls

    Obidient movement lament IREV glitch in FCT polls

    February 21, 2026
    APC demands cancellation of Kano by-election over violence

    APC demands cancellation of Kano by-election over violence

    February 21, 2026
    Malen scores twice in Aston Villa 2-1 win against Young Boys

    Aston Villa comeback to play 1-1 draw against Leeds

    February 21, 2026
    Rivers bye-election peaceful, orderly amid voter apathy – INEC REC

    Rivers bye-election peaceful, orderly amid voter apathy – INEC REC

    February 21, 2026
    Burnley, Leeds clinch Premier League promotion after crucial victories

    Burnley score late to snatch draw against Chelsea

    February 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.