Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Shettima says allies warned Tinubu against wearing gifted campaign outfits

    Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president

    May 20, 2026
    Rabiu Kwankwaso speaking during a political event amid ADC crisis speculation

    Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges

    May 20, 2026
    Gbajabiamila behind my ordeal, detained journalist reveals on Inside Sources

    Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliott withdraws

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president
    • Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges
    • Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliott withdraws
    • DHQ says Oyo school attacks not evidence of terrorist base in South-West
    • Desmond Elliot alleges intimidation, withdraws from APC primary
    • Nigeria intensifies airport surveillance over Ebola outbreak fears
    • Students flee Oyo schools as police dismiss terrorist attack rumours
    • Bwala urges Nigerians to defend themselves against terrorists
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Wednesday, May 20
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Prevent spread of new COVID-19 variant, Lagos Assembly tells FG, State Govt

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorJuly 15, 2021No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Oluwagbenga Abiola, Lagos LG chair aspirant withdraws for Obasa’s son
    Lagos Assembly Speaker Mudashiru Obasa
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Members of the Lagos State House of Assembly on Thursday called on the federal and the Lagos State governments to ensure proper monitoring of immigrants into the country to prevent the spread of the third wave of COVID-19.

    This was part of the motion raised by Hon. Rotimi Olowo (Shomolu) under ‘Matter of Urgent Public importance’ during plenary following reports on the third wave of virus.

    Olowo, who doubles as the Chairman of the House Committee on Finance, urged the federal government to ensure that people coming from other countries to Nigeria are quarantined for one week, and that they should go through mandatory COVID-19 test.

    “The Lagos State government should embark on the enlightenment of members of the public on the need to observe COVID-19 protocols such as covering their nose, washing of hands and maintaining social distance.

    “The Lagos State Governor should also direct the state Commissioner for Health to ensure proper COVID-19 tests across the state.

    “There should be enlightenment in schools, churches, mosques, markets and clubs and COVID-19 vaccines must be made available to the people of the state,” he said.

    The lawmaker added in the motion that Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu should be commended for raising the alarm on the new wave of the pandemic.

    According to him, the government should have desks in the airports in the state to ensure proper register of immigrants and ensure that they are quarantined while their home addresses should be known.

    The Speaker of the House, Rt. Hon. Mudashiru Obasa, who directed the Clerk of the House, Mr. Olalekan Onafeko, to inform Governor Sanwo-Olu of the motion through a letter, said that the current COVID-19 vaccines might not cover the new wave of the pandemic.

    Obasa said there cannot be a lockeddown at this moment due to the economic downturn in the country, but that it was important that precautionary measures be taken to prevent the spread of the pandemic in the state.

    Earlier in his contribution, Oluyinka Ogundimu (Agege 2) said that it was important to test the people coming into the country, but Hon. Victor Akande (Ojo1) urged that efforts be made to stop the spread of the disease in the state.

    Also, Hon. Abiodun Tobun (Epe 1) pleaded with Nigerian leaders to be proactive concerning the virus.

    • COVID-19: UNILAG shuts hostels, returns to online classes

    Hon. Adedamola Richard Kasunmu (Ikeja 2) urged for precautionary measures against the pandemic while Hon. Gbolahan Yishawu (Eti Osa 2) said that those coming from abroad should be quarantined.

    “Religious centres should bring back COVID-19 protocols and the Lagos State government should create awareness about the pandemic so that the people could start observing the protocols,” he said.

    On his part, Hon. Setonji David (Badagry 2) said COVID-19 vaccines should be made available to all the members of the public.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Shettima says allies warned Tinubu against wearing gifted campaign outfits

    Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president

    Rabiu Kwankwaso speaking during a political event amid ADC crisis speculation

    Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges

    Gbajabiamila behind my ordeal, detained journalist reveals on Inside Sources

    Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliott withdraws

    DHQ dismisses fears of terrorist stronghold after Oyo school attacks

    DHQ says Oyo school attacks not evidence of terrorist base in South-West

    Desmond Elliot speaking during an interview on Channels Television about the attempted impeachment of Mudashiru Obasa.

    Desmond Elliot alleges intimidation, withdraws from APC primary

    Nigeria intensifies airport surveillance over Ebola outbreak fears

    Nigeria intensifies airport surveillance over Ebola outbreak fears

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Shettima says allies warned Tinubu against wearing gifted campaign outfits

    Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president

    May 20, 2026
    Rabiu Kwankwaso speaking during a political event amid ADC crisis speculation

    Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges

    May 20, 2026
    Gbajabiamila behind my ordeal, detained journalist reveals on Inside Sources

    Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliott withdraws

    May 20, 2026
    DHQ dismisses fears of terrorist stronghold after Oyo school attacks

    DHQ says Oyo school attacks not evidence of terrorist base in South-West

    May 20, 2026
    Desmond Elliot speaking during an interview on Channels Television about the attempted impeachment of Mudashiru Obasa.

    Desmond Elliot alleges intimidation, withdraws from APC primary

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.