Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    EFCC anti-corruption infographic condemning leaders who loot public funds to buy private jets.

    EFCC warns leaders against looting public funds for luxury lifestyles

    May 23, 2026
    Tinubu vows end to Plateau killings, orders 5,000-camera surveillance in Jos

    Tinubu to receive APC presidential ticket, flag on Sunday

    May 23, 2026
    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO raises DR Congo Ebola risk ‘very high’ as Uganda records three more cases

    May 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • EFCC warns leaders against looting public funds for luxury lifestyles
    • Tinubu to receive APC presidential ticket, flag on Sunday
    • WHO raises DR Congo Ebola risk ‘very high’ as Uganda records three more cases
    • Troops rescue abducted 8-year-old child, kill terrorists in North-East operations
    • Fernandes named Premier League player of the season
    • Tinubu pulls landslide victory in Rivers presidential primary election
    • Tinubu defeats Osifo to win APC primary election in Ebonyi
    • 2027: Tinubu wins APC primary election in Gombe
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Saturday, May 23
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Police withdraw escort for ministers, senators, others in Southeast, Southsouth

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorMay 13, 2021No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Police rescue man from attempted suicide over N1m debt
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Ministers, National Assembly members, federal appointees and other Very Important Personalities (VIPs) from the Southeast and Southsouth may be stripped of police escort when travelling home due to rising attacks on security agents.

    Police authorities have endorsed a signal to that effect.

    The signal, which emanated from the Delta State Police Command, advised officers and men not to accompany their principals to Abia, Anambra, Ebonyi, Enugu, Imo, and Rivers states until the security situation improves.

    Many police stations have come under attack and many policemen have been killed.

    Last weekend, gunmen killed no fewer than 12 policemen in five attacks across Rivers and Akwa Ibom states.

    Also last week, gunmen killed two police inspectors in Obosi police station, Idemili North Local Government Area of Anambra State, and a policeman in Ohaozara Local Government Area of Ebonyi.

    There have been other attacks on security operatives and formations in the Southeast and parts of Southsouth zones by gunmen.

    The wireless message, with the reference CB: 0900/DTS/DOPS/VOL.47/812X, is entitled: “Attack on policemen, snatching of rifles by IPOB”.

    The police copied the Chief Security Officer, Government House; Chief Superintendent of Police, Department of Operations, Delta Oil Producing Areas Development Commission; Delta House of Assembly; Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) annexe, among others.

    The wireless message read: “Sequel to the incessant attacks on policemen and snatching of arms and ammunition by the proscribed IPOB/ESN (Eastern Security Network) elements in the Eastern states of Abia, Anambra, Ebonyi, Enugu, Imo States and Rivers State, COMPOL DOPS directs you warn personnel that escort of their principals to the six eastern states is suspended forthwith until the security situation improves. Ensure strict compliance, please.”

    Force Public Relation Officer, Frank Mba, said that the step was taken to save the lives of the officers and their principals from the gunmen.

    He said the signal originated from Delta State Command and was issued on the authority of the Commissioner of Police in Delta.

    • Gunmen kill policeman, raze two stations in Akwa Ibom

    He said the signal is clear, adding: “That signal did not come from Force Headquarters, so it is not a nationwide directive.

    “Any reasonable person will understand that this is a very good directive.

    “The Commissioner of Police acted within his powers and he gave the directives to cure certain mischief.”

    The police had accused the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) of being behind the April 5 attack on the Imo Police Command.

    Mba had said in a statement after the attack: “Preliminary investigations have revealed that the attackers, who came in their numbers with sophisticated weapons such as general-purpose machine guns (GPMGs), sub-machine guns (SMGs), AK49 rifles, rocket-propelled grenades (RPGs), improvised explosive devices (IEDs), are members of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB)/Eastern Security Network (ESN).”

    IPOB had always denied killing security agents, saying it remained committed to the non-violent actualisation of Biafra.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    EFCC anti-corruption infographic condemning leaders who loot public funds to buy private jets.

    EFCC warns leaders against looting public funds for luxury lifestyles

    Tinubu vows end to Plateau killings, orders 5,000-camera surveillance in Jos

    Tinubu to receive APC presidential ticket, flag on Sunday

    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO raises DR Congo Ebola risk ‘very high’ as Uganda records three more cases

    Nigerian troops during Operation Hadin Kai patrol operations in the North-East region.

    Troops rescue abducted 8-year-old child, kill terrorists in North-East operations

    The Anambra State governor, Prof. Charles Soludo, has congratulated President Bola Tinubu on the occasion of his 74th birthday on Sunday, March 29, 2026.

    Tinubu pulls landslide victory in Rivers presidential primary election

    The Anambra State governor, Prof. Charles Soludo, has congratulated President Bola Tinubu on the occasion of his 74th birthday on Sunday, March 29, 2026.

    Tinubu defeats Osifo to win APC primary election in Ebonyi

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    EFCC anti-corruption infographic condemning leaders who loot public funds to buy private jets.

    EFCC warns leaders against looting public funds for luxury lifestyles

    May 23, 2026
    Tinubu vows end to Plateau killings, orders 5,000-camera surveillance in Jos

    Tinubu to receive APC presidential ticket, flag on Sunday

    May 23, 2026
    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO raises DR Congo Ebola risk ‘very high’ as Uganda records three more cases

    May 23, 2026
    Nigerian troops during Operation Hadin Kai patrol operations in the North-East region.

    Troops rescue abducted 8-year-old child, kill terrorists in North-East operations

    May 23, 2026
    Fernandes named Premier League player of the season

    Fernandes named Premier League player of the season

    May 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.