Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139

    May 21, 2026
    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    May 21, 2026
    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139
    • Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty
    • Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar
    • Tinubu: Fuel subsidy, forex cabals behind rising insecurity
    • NDLEA busts N480bn methamphetamine lab in Ogun, arrests three Mexicans
    • Big Wiz: Wizkid becomes first African artiste to reach 11bn Spotify streams
    • NLC warns ‘no community is safe anymore’ after Oyo abduction
    • Gowon accuses Ojukwu of frustrating peace talks, causing civil war
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Thursday, May 21
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Police nab 13 over Chigozie Ifeonu’s murder by Hausa ‘okada’ rider

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoOctober 30, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Oyo police deny reports of a bandit attack in Ogbomoso, saying panic was triggered by false rumours and misinformation.
    Nigeria police
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The Edo State Police Command announced on Thursday that 13 suspects had been arrested in connection with the crisis that arose following the death of a 23-year-old man, Chigozie Ifeonu, in the Ogheghe community in Upper Siluko Road in Benin.

    The altercation, which took place on Wednesday, allegedly began when the deceased was stabbed as a result of a quarrel over a failed transaction.

    The incident provoked outrage, with enraged youths storming the streets with deadly weapons in an attempt to avenge Ifeonu’s death.

    According to an eyewitness, many of the youths were injured in a retaliation attack, while others fled for safety as police used teargas canisters to disperse the throng.

    The source said, “I can’t really say how the deceased was stabbed to death by the Hausa youth over a deal that went wrong, but I can confirm that it triggered a clash between Benin boys and the Hausa youths.

    “Many of the Hausa youths who ride Okada, do petty trading, or clear land for landowners were off the streets. Some of them had to abandon their businesses for fear of being lynched.

    “Policemen who were deployed to the area fired tear gas to disperse the angry youths. If not for police intervention, the situation would have been worse.”

    According to another source, the deceased had lent the Hausa guy a motorcycle, but the suspect fled with it and relocated to another section of the local government area.

    The source added, “The Hausa boy stabbed Ifeonu when he (the deceased) tried to reclaim the motorcycle he gave to him on hire purchase. It’s unfortunate that this happened.”

    A video circulating on Thursday showed that the Hausa quarters in the region had been burnt down, while several teenagers were seen assaulting two Hausa men with planks.

    However, the police, in a statement made by the Deputy Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Eno Ikoedem, said the deceased was brought to the University of Benin Teaching Hospital, where he was confirmed dead by a medical doctor.

    The statement read, “The Edo State Police Command wishes to inform the general public that normalcy has been restored to Ogheghe Community, Upper Siluko Road, Benin City, following a violent incident that occurred on 28th October, 2025, at about 1645 hrs.

    “One male victim, Chigozie Ifeonu, aged 23 years, was stabbed in the chest during the disturbance.

    “He was immediately rushed to the University of Benin Teaching Hospital for medical attention, where he was unfortunately confirmed dead by a medical doctor.

    “His corpse has since been deposited at the UBTH mortuary for preservation and autopsy.

    “Swift response by the Area Commander, Ekiadolor Area Command, ACP Garba Umaru, alongside Operation Rescue Teams, operatives from Ogida Division, and other command tactical units ensured the immediate restoration of peace and protection of lives and property in the area.

    “A total of thirteen suspects have been arrested in connection with the incident, while the case has been transferred to the Homicide Section of the State Criminal Investigation Department, Benin City, for discreet investigation.”

    The Commissioner of Police, CP Monday Agbonika, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and promised the public that justice will be done.

    He urged residents of Ogheghe and its environs to be calm, vigilant, and law-abiding, assuring them that the Command is dedicated to maintaining peace and order throughout the state.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    President Bola Tinubu speaking at a public event in Nigeria, representing federal government economic policy announcements.

    Tinubu: Fuel subsidy, forex cabals behind rising insecurity

    NDLEA operatives at a clandestine methamphetamine laboratory uncovered in Ogun forest with seized chemical substances and suspects.

    NDLEA busts N480bn methamphetamine lab in Ogun, arrests three Mexicans

    NLC warns ‘no community is safe anymore’ after Oyo abduction

    NLC warns ‘no community is safe anymore’ after Oyo abduction

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139

    May 21, 2026
    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    May 21, 2026
    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    May 21, 2026
    President Bola Tinubu speaking at a public event in Nigeria, representing federal government economic policy announcements.

    Tinubu: Fuel subsidy, forex cabals behind rising insecurity

    May 21, 2026
    NDLEA operatives at a clandestine methamphetamine laboratory uncovered in Ogun forest with seized chemical substances and suspects.

    NDLEA busts N480bn methamphetamine lab in Ogun, arrests three Mexicans

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.