Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Big Wiz: Five Wizkid songs that sound like Fela’s

    Big Wiz: Wizkid becomes first African artiste to reach 11bn Spotify streams

    May 21, 2026
    NLC warns ‘no community is safe anymore’ after Oyo abduction

    NLC warns ‘no community is safe anymore’ after Oyo abduction

    May 21, 2026
    Jonathan: Abaribe urges Gowon to 'write his own book, reveal truth about 1966 coup'

    Gowon accuses Ojukwu of frustrating peace talks, causing civil war

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Big Wiz: Wizkid becomes first African artiste to reach 11bn Spotify streams
    • NLC warns ‘no community is safe anymore’ after Oyo abduction
    • Gowon accuses Ojukwu of frustrating peace talks, causing civil war
    • SDP expels presidential candidate, 11 others as crisis worsens
    • Otedola sells Geregu stake to invest in Dangote refinery
    • APC primaries tear Benue apart, ‘results were allocated’ aggrieved members claim
    • APC primaries most competitive in history – Yilwatda
    • Goodluck Jonathan should stay out of 2027 race – Lamido
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Thursday, May 21
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Poland blocks hundreds of Belarus migrants

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorNovember 9, 2021No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Police arrest 400 in Turkey over May Day protest 
    Police arrest 400 in Turkey over May Day protest 
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Poland says it has repelled attempts by migrants to enter the country at its eastern border with Belarus, warning that thousands more were on the way.

    Video footage showed hundreds of people near a barbed-wire border fence, which some tried to force their way through.

    The Polish government called a crisis meeting on Monday and deployed 12,000 troops to the region.

    Poland has accused Belarus of pushing the migrants towards the border, describing it as hostile activity.

    Poland, Lithuania and Latvia say there’s been a surge in the number of people trying to enter their countries illegally from the East European country in recent months. Many of them have come from the Middle East and Asia.

    The European Union has accused Belarus’s authoritarian President Alexander Lukashenko of facilitating the influx in retaliation against sanctions.

    • EU airlines redirect flights away from Belarus

    Poland, which has been criticised for pushing back migrants and refugees at its border, has responded to the large number of people arriving there by building a razor-wire fence.

    The Polish Border Guard also said it was closing its border crossing with Belarus at Kuznica from Tuesday morning.

    Many migrants have been trapped on the border between Poland and Belarus
    Many migrants have been trapped on the border between Poland and Belarus

    Conditions for migrants on the border are hostile to the point of being deadly, and fears have been raised for their safety in the region’s sub-zero winter.

    As they are summarily expelled from Poland and Belarus refuses to allow them back in, people are finding themselves stranded and freezing in Poland’s forests. Several have died of hypothermia.

    The BBC’s Paul Adams spoke to Barwa Nusreddine Ahmed, the brother of one Iraqi migrant who was at the border with his wife and three children. They arrived in Minsk, the capital of Belarus, last month.

    With little to eat or drink, the people stuck at the border were suffering, Mr Ahmed said.

    He said Monday’s move to the border post was planned on social media by the migrants themselves, but suggested Belarus was pushing them.

    “People know they’re being used [by Mr Lukashenko], but they have no future,” Mr Ahmed said.

    On Monday, the Nato alliance said it was worried about “escalation” on the border with Poland and was ready to “maintain safety and security in the region”.

    Meanwhile in Lithuania, the government there moved troops to its border with Belarus to prepare for a possible influx of migrants and was considering declaring a state of emergency.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    NLC warns ‘no community is safe anymore’ after Oyo abduction

    NLC warns ‘no community is safe anymore’ after Oyo abduction

    Jonathan: Abaribe urges Gowon to 'write his own book, reveal truth about 1966 coup'

    Gowon accuses Ojukwu of frustrating peace talks, causing civil war

    'Where’s the evidence?', SDP questions Tinubu’s $50bn foreign investment claim

    SDP expels presidential candidate, 11 others as crisis worsens

    Dangote refinery IPO demand nears $2bn as Otedola commits $100m investment

    Otedola sells Geregu stake to invest in Dangote refinery

    APC releases 2027 election timetable and nomination fees for presidential, governorship, and legislative aspirants

    APC primaries tear Benue apart, ‘results were allocated’ aggrieved members claim

    ADC: APC will win 2027 elections convincingly - Yilwatda

    APC primaries most competitive in history – Yilwatda

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Big Wiz: Five Wizkid songs that sound like Fela’s

    Big Wiz: Wizkid becomes first African artiste to reach 11bn Spotify streams

    May 21, 2026
    NLC warns ‘no community is safe anymore’ after Oyo abduction

    NLC warns ‘no community is safe anymore’ after Oyo abduction

    May 21, 2026
    Jonathan: Abaribe urges Gowon to 'write his own book, reveal truth about 1966 coup'

    Gowon accuses Ojukwu of frustrating peace talks, causing civil war

    May 21, 2026
    'Where’s the evidence?', SDP questions Tinubu’s $50bn foreign investment claim

    SDP expels presidential candidate, 11 others as crisis worsens

    May 21, 2026
    Dangote refinery IPO demand nears $2bn as Otedola commits $100m investment

    Otedola sells Geregu stake to invest in Dangote refinery

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.