Teachers in Ogbomoso on Monday shut down classroom activities and staged a peaceful protest to the Oyo State TESCOM office following the recent abduction of students and teachers in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State.
The protesters marched through the town carrying placards with different inscriptions, urging authorities at all levels to intensify efforts to secure the release of victims still being held by kidnappers.
The demonstration comes amid growing concern among education stakeholders and residents after the abduction incident, which has heightened fears over safety in schools across the state.
The teachers demanded tighter security around schools and safer learning environments for staff and students.
Speaking after a security meeting on Sunday, Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde confirmed that one of the abducted teachers had been killed.
According to the governor, seven teachers and an unspecified number of pupils were abducted during the attack.
Makinde disclosed that the slain victim, believed to be a Mathematics teacher, was killed by the abductors.
“What we know right now is that seven teachers were abducted. Unfortunately, we received a video this morning indicating that one of the teachers, understood to be the Mathematics teacher, was killed by the terrorists. Our prayers are with the family,” the governor said.
He also sympathised with members of the rescue team, including soldiers, operatives of the Amotekun Corps and local vigilantes, who were injured after encountering Improvised Explosive Devices planted by the kidnappers during rescue operations.
Makinde said the injured operatives were responding to treatment and assured that the government would cover their medical expenses.
The governor stated that the state government had intensified efforts to rescue the remaining abductees, adding that both kinetic and non-kinetic strategies were being deployed.
“We just finished a review of the security situation in the local government area where the abduction of some teachers and schoolchildren took place.
“First, let me appeal to the affected families that their government is working round the clock to ensure that we tackle this challenge. For our troops and service commanders, we have a few wounded soldiers, hunters and other operatives. They are recovering.
“The government will continue to take responsibility for ensuring that they fully recover and that their medical bills are taken care of,” he added.
Makinde also appealed for calm among residents, community leaders and religious groups, assuring that the government remained committed to securing the safe return of the abducted victims.









