Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Newcastle cruise past Arsenal to reach Carabao Cup final

    UCL: Gordon scores four as Newcastle thrash Qarabag 6-1

    February 18, 2026
    Why major Nigerian banking in-app support fails users

    Why major Nigerian banking in-app support fails users

    February 18, 2026
    GameZone Rebate

    GameZone Rebate Builds Trust Within Organized Play

    February 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • UCL: Gordon scores four as Newcastle thrash Qarabag 6-1
    • Why major Nigerian banking in-app support fails users
    • GameZone Rebate Builds Trust Within Organized Play
    • Providus-Unity bank merger stalls over N4.8bn insider loans
    • Two killed, five injured in APC ward congress in Ondo
    • Gas leak in Plateau mine kills 37, others hospitalised
    • Kaduna ends El-Rufai’s ban, approves 50 Christians for pilgrimage
    • Troops rescue victim, kill five kidnappers in Plateau
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Wednesday, February 18
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Oluremi Tinubu clarifies, says N20bn library fundraiser not for 2027 re-election

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoSeptember 24, 2025No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    'Nigeria owes you, Tinubu celebrates wife 'Oluremi Mi' at 65
    President Bola Tinubu with wife Oluremi
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    First Lady Oluremi Tinubu, on Tuesday, debunked claims that her 65th birthday anniversary fundraiser is tied to her husband’s 2027 re-election bid.

    Tinubu also revealed that the fundraiser, which is for the construction of a new National Library complex, has received over N20.4bn in donations since she first announced it last Thursday.

    Speaking at an interactive session with State House Correspondents at the Aso Rock Villa, Abuja, Tinubu said, “Let me at this point correct a notion moving around about this fundraising. It is not connected to anything political… So far, we have raised N20.4bn since this fund launched last week, and more are still coming.”

    She reflected on her prior fundraising successes, emphasizing her ongoing dedication to nation-building through philanthropy, saying, “This is not the first time I have raised funds for causes close to my heart. For my 45th birthday, I raised N50m to complete the National Sickle Cell Foundation Centre, which has since become fully operational. For my 50th birthday, I raised N200m for the New Era Foundation.”

    Her comments come amid remarks by the presidential candidate of the Labour Party in the 2023 elections, Peter Obi, who argued that Nigeria does not need to wait for birthday gifts before completing its National Library.

    In a statement titled ‘We Are Finished’ on X, Obi wrote, “We are finished! I join millions of Nigerians in wishing Her Excellency, Mrs. Oluremi Tinubu, a happy birthday. May God Almighty, who has been with her all these years, grant her many more healthy, fruitful, and happy years.”

    Speaking on the misconceptions about any political motives behind the fundraising, the First Lady emphasized the importance of collective action for national development.

    “What is wrong with drawing attention to areas of need and inclusion? Helping to rebuild does not have a political undertone—it’s our duty as citizens to contribute meaningfully to society. I even donated to the post-war rebuilding of schools in Liberia,” she affirmed.

    Stressing the words of former US President John F. Kennedy, Tinubu urged Nigerians to adopt a spirit of service.

    “Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country. This should guide our actions. Like President Kennedy said, ‘Let both sides explore what problems unite us instead of what divides us.’”

    She also stated that the scriptural injunction in Isaiah 58:6 has inspired her lifelong dedication to serving the nation.

    Tinubu revealed that the birthday account will be open until December 2025 to accept additional donations from willing Nigerians.

    She said that the account’s signatories are the Minister of Education and the Federation’s Chief Librarian, and she insisted that her role was to help drive the funds.

    Tinubu revealed intentions to raise cash for the completion of the country’s long-delayed National Library before her 65th birthday on Sunday, September 21.

    She called on well-wishers to donate to the fund instead of sending her gifts and paying for newspaper advertisements to mark the days.

    In a statement she signed last Thursday, the First Lady said she would spend her birthday “dedicated to God for all His blessings in my life and having a quiet birthday” and appealed for contributions to an account tagged the “Oluremi@65 Education Fund,” coordinated by the Ministry of Education.

    “I wish to appeal to those who would like to send a birthday card, cakes, flowers, greetings in the newspapers, or gifts; please send the funds to the designated account for a special project close to my heart… The completion of the National Library,” she said.

    “This will be the best birthday present I will ever receive. My love for education has informed my decision to dedicate my birthday to this worthy cause,” Tinubu added.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Why major Nigerian banking in-app support fails users

    Why major Nigerian banking in-app support fails users

    GameZone Rebate

    GameZone Rebate Builds Trust Within Organized Play

    Providus-Unity bank merger stalls over N4.8bn insider loans

    Providus-Unity bank merger stalls over N4.8bn insider loans

    Two killed, five injured in APC ward congress in Ondo

    Two killed, five injured in APC ward congress in Ondo

    Gas leak in Plateau mine kills 37, others hospitalised

    Gas leak in Plateau mine kills 37, others hospitalised

    Governor Uba Sani of Kaduna State has approved 50 Christians from the state to embark on a holy pilgrimage, ending an 11-year suspension of the program.

    Kaduna ends El-Rufai’s ban, approves 50 Christians for pilgrimage

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Newcastle cruise past Arsenal to reach Carabao Cup final

    UCL: Gordon scores four as Newcastle thrash Qarabag 6-1

    February 18, 2026
    Why major Nigerian banking in-app support fails users

    Why major Nigerian banking in-app support fails users

    February 18, 2026
    GameZone Rebate

    GameZone Rebate Builds Trust Within Organized Play

    February 18, 2026
    Providus-Unity bank merger stalls over N4.8bn insider loans

    Providus-Unity bank merger stalls over N4.8bn insider loans

    February 18, 2026
    Two killed, five injured in APC ward congress in Ondo

    Two killed, five injured in APC ward congress in Ondo

    February 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.