Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Osasuna

    Osasuna defeat Real Madrid 2-1 in thrilling La Liga clash

    February 21, 2026
    Obidient movement lament IREV glitch in FCT polls

    Obidient movement lament IREV glitch in FCT polls

    February 21, 2026
    APC demands cancellation of Kano by-election over violence

    APC demands cancellation of Kano by-election over violence

    February 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Osasuna defeat Real Madrid 2-1 in thrilling La Liga clash
    • Obidient movement lament IREV glitch in FCT polls
    • APC demands cancellation of Kano by-election over violence
    • Aston Villa comeback to play 1-1 draw against Leeds
    • Rivers bye-election peaceful, orderly amid voter apathy – INEC REC
    • Burnley score late to snatch draw against Chelsea
    • Chelsea sign new sponsorship deal with AI firm IFS
    • Rivers: Khana constituency 2 bye-election ends, results pending
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Sunday, February 22
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Number of unregistered SIM cards drop to 2.4 million

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorSeptember 17, 2019No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The Federal Government on Monday announced that the number of unregistered SIM cards in the country had dropped from 9.2 million to 2.4 million, just four days after it ordered the blocking of the defaulting mobile telephone lines.

    Minister of Communications, Dr Isah Ibrahim, gave the update on the status of the unregistered SIM cards during the inauguration of some new members of the governing board of the NCC in Abuja on Monday.

    Ibrahim had on Thursday directed NCC to compel telecoms service providers to immediately block the unregistered and partially-registered SIM cards.

    The directive said the mobile telephone lines should remain blocked until their owners presented themselves for registration.

    READ: Nigeria’s Muhammad-Bande takes over as UNGA president

    However, just four days later, the minister said a fresh report submitted to him by the management of the NCC revealed that, out of the 9.2 million unregistered SIM cards, about 6.7 million had been re-registered since September 11.

    According to him, the report on the implementation of the directive was submitted by the Executive Vice-Chairman of the NCC, Prof Umaru Danbatta, on Monday.

    He explained that the reduction in the number of defaulting mobile telephone lines from 9.2 million to 2.4 million represented a 73.6 percent drop, a development which he described as ‘highly commendable.’

    Ibrahim at the event issued an ultimatum that the registration of all SIM cards must be regularised by September 25, 2019.

    “By 25th September 2019, we don’t want to have any more cases of incomplete registration. The remaining 2.4 million SIM cards must be fully registered,” he said.

    The minister further ordered the NCC to compel the service providers to comply with the September 25th deadline.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Obidient movement lament IREV glitch in FCT polls

    Obidient movement lament IREV glitch in FCT polls

    APC demands cancellation of Kano by-election over violence

    APC demands cancellation of Kano by-election over violence

    Rivers bye-election peaceful, orderly amid voter apathy – INEC REC

    Rivers bye-election peaceful, orderly amid voter apathy – INEC REC

    Rivers bye-election peaceful, orderly amid voter apathy – INEC REC

    Rivers: Khana constituency 2 bye-election ends, results pending

    The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), New Nigerian Peoples Party (NNPP), and African Democratic Congress (AD) are missing on the ballot papers for the Kano State House of Assembly by-election holding on Saturday, as reported by Arise News.

    PDP, NNPP, ADC missing on ballot papers of Kano by-election

    FCT: AMAC election peaceful, says ADC’s Paul Moses

    FCT: AMAC election peaceful, says ADC’s Paul Moses

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Osasuna

    Osasuna defeat Real Madrid 2-1 in thrilling La Liga clash

    February 21, 2026
    Obidient movement lament IREV glitch in FCT polls

    Obidient movement lament IREV glitch in FCT polls

    February 21, 2026
    APC demands cancellation of Kano by-election over violence

    APC demands cancellation of Kano by-election over violence

    February 21, 2026
    Malen scores twice in Aston Villa 2-1 win against Young Boys

    Aston Villa comeback to play 1-1 draw against Leeds

    February 21, 2026
    Rivers bye-election peaceful, orderly amid voter apathy – INEC REC

    Rivers bye-election peaceful, orderly amid voter apathy – INEC REC

    February 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.