Prolific Nigerian scorer Victor Osimhen could be the key figure when the Super Eagles face the Democratic Republic of Congo on Sunday in a fight for 2026 World Cup qualifying survival in Rabat.
The winners of the African play-offs final will advance to a six-nation intercontinental tournament in Mexico in March, involving each football region except Europe.
But the losers will bow out of the race to be among the record 48 nations set to participate in the global showpiece, hosted by the United States, Canada, and Mexico.
Nigeria and DR Congo were among four countries handed a second chance after finishing as the best runners-up from nine African qualifying groups.
In Thursday’s semi-finals, Galatasaray striker Osimhen scored twice in extra time as Nigeria defeated Gabon 4–1, while Chancel Mbemba snatched a late 1–0 win for DR Congo over Cameroon.
Osimhen, the 2023 African Player of the Year, scored a hat-trick last month in a 4–0 win over Benin that pushed Nigeria into the play-offs.
The 26-year-old, who continues to wear a protective mask after suffering serious facial injuries four years ago, was a constant threat against Gabon and could have scored as many as six goals.
On several occasions, he came agonisingly close before firing wide in the last of 12 added minutes with only goalkeeper Loyce Mbaba to beat.
“I was gutted after failing to score from that opportunity. It was a bad miss,” Osimhen told reporters.
“Sometimes I score amazing goals no one expects, and on other occasions I miss when people expect me to score.
“I apologised to my teammates after that miss and promised to find the net in extra time — which I did twice.”
Nigeria have qualified for the World Cup six times in eight attempts since their debut in 1994.
‘Passion’
The Super Eagles have never missed back-to-back World Cups and are determined to atone for their play-off loss to Ghana that cost them a place at Qatar 2022.
Nigeria are 19 places above DR Congo in the FIFA rankings and are favourites to win the showdown, but Ivory Coast-born coach Eric Chelle remains cautious.
“The victory over Gabon means nothing. We now face formidable opponents in DR Congo and, assuming we win, only then will there be time to celebrate.
“We are trying to create an identity. My players understand what I want and are improving mentally and technically with each international window.
“The key to beating Gabon was passion — working together. We must rediscover that passion against the Congolese,” said the 48-year-old former Mali coach.
While Nigeria have been regular World Cup participants, DR Congo’s only appearance came in 1974, when the country was known as Zaire.
French coach Sébastien Desabre has transformed the talented but often inconsistent Congolese side into a more disciplined and combative team, captained by standout centre-back Mbemba of Lille.
“We have experienced players. What we are building did not happen overnight. We will give our all against Nigeria,” Desabre vowed.
Nigeria have taken part in 16 World Cup qualifying campaigns and DR Congo in 12, but this will be their first-ever meeting.
Bolivia and New Caledonia have already secured intercontinental tournament spots, Iraq or the UAE will represent Asia, and Jamaica and Panama are leading the race for the two Central American/Caribbean slots.









