Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Alvaro Arbeloa appointed as Real Madrid head coach after Alonso exit

    Alvaro Arbeloa confirms Real Madrid departure

    May 22, 2026
    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent manager

    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent head coach until 2028

    May 22, 2026
    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola's exit

    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola’s exit

    May 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Alvaro Arbeloa confirms Real Madrid departure
    • Man United confirm Carrick as permanent head coach until 2028
    • Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola’s exit
    • Man City confirm Guardiola exit after trophy-filled 10-year reign
    • Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo
    • JUST IN: Sani approves nearly N1bn for Kaduna workers’ entitlements
    • Trump sends 5000 US troops to Poland, NATO gives nod
    • Mixed reactions trail JAMB registrar Segun Aina appointment
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Friday, May 22
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Nigeria receives over 1m meningitis vaccine doses to combat outbreak

    Opalim LiftedBy Opalim LiftedApril 7, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Meningitis cases surge in northern Nigeria, others
    Meningitis-vaccination
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Nigeria’s ministry of health has received over 1,000,000 meningitis, pentavalent meningococcal conjugate vaccine (Men5CV).

    A statement said the vaccines were sent from the Gavi-funded global stockpile to combat the meningitis outbreak in northern Nigeria.

    The disease has already claimed over 70 lives, with more than 800 cases across 23 states.

    Gavi funds the global stockpiles of vaccines against cholera, ebola, meningitis and yellow fever, which are accessible to all countries in the world.

    The organisation also supports the cost of procurement, delivery and outbreak response campaigns in lower-income countries, as well as preventive and routine immunisation activities where needed.

    Use of the stockpiles for outbreak response is managed by the international coordinating group (ICG) on vaccine provision, and doses are delivered to countries by UNICEF.

    • NCDC records 807 meningitis cases, 74 deaths in 22 states

    The ICG approved the deployment of over 1.5 million doses of Men5CV vaccine in response to Nigeria’s request in March 2025.

    The first shipment will enable the launch of an outbreak response campaign targeting individuals aged 1 to 29.

    The campaign will initially launch in Kebbi state and Sokoto state, with plans to expand to Yobe state as additional doses arrive in the country.

    Ali Pate, coordinating minister of health & social welfare, said the arrival of the Men5CV vaccines is a crucial milestone in Nigeria’s response to the current meningitis outbreak.

    He added that it reflects the government’s commitment to protect the health and well-being of all Nigerians.

    “Through the Nigeria health sector renewal investment initiative and the sector-wide approach, we have prioritised epidemic preparedness and rapid response as part of our broader health security agenda. We are grateful for the support of Gavi, WHO, and UNICEF in enabling this swift deployment,” he said.

    “Together, we are not only containing today’s outbreak but also laying the foundation to eliminate meningitis and strengthen routine immunization for the future.”

    On his part, Francisco Luquero, Gavi’s head of high-impact outbreaks, said with the organisation’s support, vaccines successfully eliminated meningitis A from Africa’s “meningitis belt”.

    “Continued investment in this work is critical to protect the incredible progress made so far, control future outbreaks, and dramatically reduce the devastating impact that seasonal epidemics of meningitis have on families and communities,” he said.

    Cristian Munduate, UNICEF Nigeria country representative, said every child deserves protection from life-threatening diseases like meningitis.

    Munduate added that the arrival of the meningitis vaccine marks a critical step in stopping the current outbreak and safeguarding Nigeria’s most vulnerable populations.

    “UNICEF is proud to support the government by ensuring rapid vaccine deployment, community engagement, and planning and implementation of the response, while working alongside Gavi the Vaccine Alliance, National Primary Health Care Development Agency and Federal Ministry of Health and social welfare to strengthen immunisation efforts in Nigeria,” Munduate said.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    Kaduna State Governor Uba Sani addressing judiciary staff union leaders during a meeting at Sir Kashim Ibrahim House in Kaduna.

    JUST IN: Sani approves nearly N1bn for Kaduna workers’ entitlements

    Trump : You're on your own, US tells citizens in Israel amid Middle East tensions 

    Trump sends 5000 US troops to Poland, NATO gives nod

    Nigerians reacting on social media to the appointment of Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar announced by President Tinubu.

    Mixed reactions trail JAMB registrar Segun Aina appointment

    The Governor of Benue State, Hyacinth Alia, has expressed deep sorrow over the death of ten people in a tragic accident in the Okete community, Ohimini Local Government Area.

    Alia wins Benue APC governorship primary election

    RCMP tactical armoured vehicle and heavily armed officers outside a Spencer Street home during a police raid in downtown St. John’s.

    Police deploy flash bangs, armoured vehicle in St. John’s drug raid

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Alvaro Arbeloa appointed as Real Madrid head coach after Alonso exit

    Alvaro Arbeloa confirms Real Madrid departure

    May 22, 2026
    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent manager

    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent head coach until 2028

    May 22, 2026
    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola's exit

    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola’s exit

    May 22, 2026
    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola's exit

    Man City confirm Guardiola exit after trophy-filled 10-year reign

    May 22, 2026
    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    May 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.