Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Principal of Community High School, Esinele, appeals for help in a viral video after gunmen abducted teachers and students in Oyo State

    Oyo principal, nursing mother cry for help in kidnappers den

    May 18, 2026
    IGP Olatunji Disu meeting security officials and residents in Oriire, Oyo State, after a deadly school attack and abductions.

    IGP visits Oyo communities after school attack, orders intensified rescue operations

    May 18, 2026
    Nigerian troops during counter-terrorism operations in Borno State after the killing of ISIS commander Abu Bilal Al-Minuki.

    Nigeria denies US ground troop role in killing of ISIS leader Al-Minuki

    May 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Oyo principal, nursing mother cry for help in kidnappers den
    • IGP visits Oyo communities after school attack, orders intensified rescue operations
    • Nigeria denies US ground troop role in killing of ISIS leader Al-Minuki
    • ‘Shamed into action’, Atiku slams FG’s response to South Africa xenophobic attacks
    • WHO declares DR Congo, Uganda Ebola outbreak global health emergency
    • 65 dead as DR Congo confirms new Ebola outbreak
    • NAFDAC warns Nigerians over counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets
    • Oyo shuts schools after students, principal abduction
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Monday, May 18
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Nigeria denies US ground troop role in killing of ISIS leader Al-Minuki

    Opalim LiftedBy Opalim LiftedMay 18, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Nigerian troops during counter-terrorism operations in Borno State after the killing of ISIS commander Abu Bilal Al-Minuki.
    Nigerian troops
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Nigeria’s military has clarified that no American troops participated on the ground in the operation that killed Abu Bilal Al-Minuki, a senior Islamic State commander linked to ISIS operations across West Africa and the Sahel.

    The operation was carried out near Metele in Borno State under Operation Hadin Kai, with support from the United States Africa Command (AFRICOM). According to the military, the US provided intelligence, surveillance, reconnaissance and other operational assistance, while Nigerian forces conducted the ground mission.

    Speaking in televised remarks monitored by the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), Maj.-Gen. Michael Onoja, Director of Defence Media Operations, said the mission followed months of intelligence gathering and close coordination between Nigerian and US authorities.

    He explained that earlier reports claiming Al-Minuki had been killed in 2024 were incorrect due to mistaken identity, noting that the ISIS operative used multiple aliases to avoid detection.

    United States President Donald Trump had announced on May 16 that “American forces and the Armed Forces of Nigeria” executed what he described as a “meticulously planned” operation to eliminate Al-Minuki, whom he called “the most active terrorist in the world”.

    International reports said the operation occurred around Metele in northeastern Borno State, a known stronghold of the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP).

    • Presidency: 2024 report of ISIS commander Al-Minuki’s death was mistaken identity

    US authorities designated Al-Minuki as a global terrorist in 2023, linking him to ISIS logistics, explosives, financing, propaganda and coordination activities across the region.

    Reacting to the development, retired Brigadier-General Sani Usman described the operation as one of the most significant counter-terrorism achievements in Nigeria’s history.

    The former army spokesperson said the elimination of Al-Minuki and other insurgents marked an important milestone in the fight against terrorism in Nigeria and the Lake Chad Basin.

    “What makes this operation particularly significant is not merely the elimination of a high-profile terrorist leader, but the symbolism and strategic consequences attached to it,” Usman said.

    “If indeed Abu Bilal Al-Minuki occupied the operational position attributed to him within the ISIS global network, then his elimination sends a clear message to terrorist organisations everywhere: there will be no sanctuary for those who orchestrate violence against innocent populations and sovereign nations.”

    Usman, however, warned against complacency, saying terrorist organisations often rebuild leadership structures after major losses.

    “History teaches us that terrorist groups are adaptive, opportunistic and often quick to regenerate leadership structures after suffering battlefield setbacks,” he said.

    He added that the latest military success should serve as an opportunity to intensify ongoing operations rather than signal the end of the insurgency.

    Meanwhile, US Congressman Riley Moore urged the Trump administration to sustain pressure on terrorist groups responsible for attacks on Christians in Nigeria.

    Moore, reacting on social media, praised the operation and said the killing of Al-Minuki sent a strong message to extremist groups targeting civilians.

    He also described attacks on Christians in Nigeria’s Middle Belt as one of the world’s most serious humanitarian and religious persecution crises.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Principal of Community High School, Esinele, appeals for help in a viral video after gunmen abducted teachers and students in Oyo State

    Oyo principal, nursing mother cry for help in kidnappers den

    IGP Olatunji Disu meeting security officials and residents in Oriire, Oyo State, after a deadly school attack and abductions.

    IGP visits Oyo communities after school attack, orders intensified rescue operations

    Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar criticising Nigeria’s response to xenophobic attacks against Nigerians in South Africa.

    ‘Shamed into action’, Atiku slams FG’s response to South Africa xenophobic attacks

    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    WHO declares DR Congo, Uganda Ebola outbreak global health emergency

    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    65 dead as DR Congo confirms new Ebola outbreak

    Packets of counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets flagged by NAFDAC over fake batch numbers and health risks in Nigeria.

    NAFDAC warns Nigerians over counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Principal of Community High School, Esinele, appeals for help in a viral video after gunmen abducted teachers and students in Oyo State

    Oyo principal, nursing mother cry for help in kidnappers den

    May 18, 2026
    IGP Olatunji Disu meeting security officials and residents in Oriire, Oyo State, after a deadly school attack and abductions.

    IGP visits Oyo communities after school attack, orders intensified rescue operations

    May 18, 2026
    Nigerian troops during counter-terrorism operations in Borno State after the killing of ISIS commander Abu Bilal Al-Minuki.

    Nigeria denies US ground troop role in killing of ISIS leader Al-Minuki

    May 18, 2026
    Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar criticising Nigeria’s response to xenophobic attacks against Nigerians in South Africa.

    ‘Shamed into action’, Atiku slams FG’s response to South Africa xenophobic attacks

    May 18, 2026
    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    WHO declares DR Congo, Uganda Ebola outbreak global health emergency

    May 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.