Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Shettima says allies warned Tinubu against wearing gifted campaign outfits

    Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president

    May 20, 2026
    Rabiu Kwankwaso speaking during a political event amid ADC crisis speculation

    Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges

    May 20, 2026
    Gbajabiamila behind my ordeal, detained journalist reveals on Inside Sources

    Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliott withdraws

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president
    • Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges
    • Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliott withdraws
    • DHQ says Oyo school attacks not evidence of terrorist base in South-West
    • Desmond Elliot alleges intimidation, withdraws from APC primary
    • Nigeria intensifies airport surveillance over Ebola outbreak fears
    • Students flee Oyo schools as police dismiss terrorist attack rumours
    • Bwala urges Nigerians to defend themselves against terrorists
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Thursday, May 21
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    South Korea: Jeju Air CEO banned from leaving country after fatal crash kills 179

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoJanuary 2, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Plane crash injures two in Imo
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Kim E-bae, the Chief Executive Officer of South Korean airline Jeju Air, has been banned from leaving the country, police said Thursday, after one of the company’s planes crashed last week, killing 179.

    “The… investigation team imposed a travel ban on two individuals, including Jeju Air CEO Kim E-bae,” said police in South Jeolla Province, where the crash in Muan City happened.

    Chronicle NG reports that South Korean police raided the offices of Jeju Air and the operator of Muan International Airport on Thursday as part of the investigation into the catastrophic accident of a Boeing 737-800, which killed 179 people.

    On Sunday, the jet carrying 181 people from Thailand to South Korea issued a mayday call and belly-landed before slamming into a barrier, killing everyone on board save two flight attendants who were rescued from the blazing wreckage.

    Authorities conducted searches and seizures at Muan airport, where flight 2216 crashed; a regional aviation office in the southwestern city; and Jeju Air’s office in Seoul.

    South Korean and US investigators, including Boeing employees, have been investigating the crash site since the catastrophe to determine the cause, with both black boxes discovered and decoding work underway.

    “In relation to the plane accident… a search and seizure operation is being conducted from 9 am (0000 GMT) on January 2 at three locations,” police said in a statement sent to AFP.

    “The police plan to swiftly and rigorously determine the cause and responsibility for this accident in accordance with the law and principles.”

    According to AFP, a search warrant was issued, and Yonhap reported that it was approved on charges of professional negligence resulting in death.

    South Korea has also declared that it will check all Boeing 737-800 aircraft operated by its airlines, with a focus on the landing gear, which appears to have failed during Sunday’s tragedy.

    Choi Sang-mok, South Korea’s acting president, said Thursday that “immediate action” must be taken if the investigation reveals any problems with the aircraft model.

    Authorities earlier stated that 101 aircraft of the same model were in use by six different airlines.

    “As there’s great public concern about the same aircraft model involved in the accident, the transport ministry and relevant agencies must conduct a thorough inspection of operation maintenance, education, and training,” Choi said Thursday.

    “If any issues are found during the inspection, please take immediate corrective action,” he added.

    The tragedy is the biggest aircraft disaster on South Korean territory.

    South Korean authorities have finished the initial extraction of data from the cockpit voice recorder, but the flight data recorder was damaged and will be sent to the United States for study, officials said Wednesday.

    Officials first suspected a bird hit as the cause of the catastrophe but have since stated that the investigation is also looking into a concrete barrier at the end of the runway.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Shettima says allies warned Tinubu against wearing gifted campaign outfits

    Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president

    Rabiu Kwankwaso speaking during a political event amid ADC crisis speculation

    Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges

    Gbajabiamila behind my ordeal, detained journalist reveals on Inside Sources

    Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliott withdraws

    DHQ dismisses fears of terrorist stronghold after Oyo school attacks

    DHQ says Oyo school attacks not evidence of terrorist base in South-West

    Desmond Elliot speaking during an interview on Channels Television about the attempted impeachment of Mudashiru Obasa.

    Desmond Elliot alleges intimidation, withdraws from APC primary

    Nigeria intensifies airport surveillance over Ebola outbreak fears

    Nigeria intensifies airport surveillance over Ebola outbreak fears

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Shettima says allies warned Tinubu against wearing gifted campaign outfits

    Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president

    May 20, 2026
    Rabiu Kwankwaso speaking during a political event amid ADC crisis speculation

    Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges

    May 20, 2026
    Gbajabiamila behind my ordeal, detained journalist reveals on Inside Sources

    Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliott withdraws

    May 20, 2026
    DHQ dismisses fears of terrorist stronghold after Oyo school attacks

    DHQ says Oyo school attacks not evidence of terrorist base in South-West

    May 20, 2026
    Desmond Elliot speaking during an interview on Channels Television about the attempted impeachment of Mudashiru Obasa.

    Desmond Elliot alleges intimidation, withdraws from APC primary

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.