Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Mourinho to return as Real Madrid coach after unbeaten run at Benfica

    Mourinho agrees Real Madrid return

    May 18, 2026
    Mourinho to return as Real Madrid coach after unbeaten run at Benfica

    Mourinho to return as Real Madrid coach after unbeaten run at Benfica

    May 18, 2026
    Alex Otti at a public event as Labour Party announces 2026 primary election timetable and nomination fees

    Otti, Labour Party reject Abure’s 2027 nomination forms sale

    May 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Mourinho agrees Real Madrid return
    • Mourinho to return as Real Madrid coach after unbeaten run at Benfica
    • Otti, Labour Party reject Abure’s 2027 nomination forms sale
    • Senate condemns Oyo abduction, demands immediate action
    • Makinde confirms seven teachers abducted, one killed in Oyo
    • Oyo principal, nursing mother cry for help in kidnappers den
    • IGP visits Oyo communities after school attack, orders intensified rescue operations
    • Nigeria denies US ground troop role in killing of ISIS leader Al-Minuki
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Monday, May 18
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Over 32 children killed in Bangladesh protests – UNICEF

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoAugust 3, 2024No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Iran: Six killed as protesters, security forces clash
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    No fewer than 32 children have died during student protests that engulfed Bangladesh last month, the UN’s children’s agency has said.

    According to a spokeswoman for UNICEF, the youngest child slain was under the age of five, and the majority of those who perished were spectators.

    According to BBC Bangla, more than 200 people were killed amid demonstrations against civil service employment quotas.

    The government has reduced the quota system in response to a Supreme Court order, but students have continued to demonstrate, demanding justice for those who died, were injured, or were incarcerated.

    While the demonstrations are now smaller in scale, the government is struggling to control the rising tide of anger over how it initially responded to the demonstrations.

    “Why are our brothers in graves and the killers outside?” asked a crowd that had gathered outside the largest mosque in Dhaka, the capital of Bangladesh, following Friday prayers, according to the AFP news agency.

    According to Reuters, security personnel used tear gas and rubber bullets to disperse the thousands of people who had gathered in the streets. It stated that at least 20 persons were hurt.

    Sanjay Wijesekera, UNICEF’s regional director for South Asia, confirmed that he had been informed of instances of children being imprisoned during a visit to Bangladesh this week.

    He went on to say that the 32 deaths reported by the agency were “a terrible loss.”.

    According to a spokesperson for the UN Agency, the majority of those slain were 13 or older, with one youngster under the age of five and one aged six to twelve.

    “Children must be protected at all times,” Mr. Wijesekera said. “That is everyone’s responsibility.”

    Bangladeshi junior information minister Mohammad Ali Arafat responded, saying the government has no knowledge of UNICEF’s mortality toll.

    “We don’t know where they [UNICEF] got the numbers from,” he told the BBC, adding: “Our position is clear: Whoever has been killed, we are going to investigate and bring the perpetrators to book.”

    Security forces were accused of using disproportionate force to disperse the early rallies, with many of the dead and injured suffering from gunshot wounds, according to doctors who talked with the BBC.

    However, the administration has blamed the disturbance on political opponents, claiming that a number of police personnel were killed as well.

    On Thursday, it outlawed the country’s major Islamist party, Jamaat-e-Islami, as well as its student branch, Islami Chhatra Shibir, alleging that they were responsible for some of the violence.

    “We have evidence that they have participated in the killings and in the destruction of government and private properties,” Anisul Huq, Bagladesh’s law minister, told the BBC.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Alex Otti at a public event as Labour Party announces 2026 primary election timetable and nomination fees

    Otti, Labour Party reject Abure’s 2027 nomination forms sale

    The Senate Committee on Diaspora and Non-Governmental Organisations has voiced alarm about the growing trend of Nigerians travelling abroad

    Senate condemns Oyo abduction, demands immediate action

    Seyi Makinde addressing supporters during the PDP–APM Alliance rally in Ibadan where he declared his 2027 presidential ambition.

    Makinde confirms seven teachers abducted, one killed in Oyo

    Principal of Community High School, Esinele, appeals for help in a viral video after gunmen abducted teachers and students in Oyo State

    Oyo principal, nursing mother cry for help in kidnappers den

    IGP Olatunji Disu meeting security officials and residents in Oriire, Oyo State, after a deadly school attack and abductions.

    IGP visits Oyo communities after school attack, orders intensified rescue operations

    Nigerian troops during counter-terrorism operations in Borno State after the killing of ISIS commander Abu Bilal Al-Minuki.

    Nigeria denies US ground troop role in killing of ISIS leader Al-Minuki

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Mourinho to return as Real Madrid coach after unbeaten run at Benfica

    Mourinho agrees Real Madrid return

    May 18, 2026
    Mourinho to return as Real Madrid coach after unbeaten run at Benfica

    Mourinho to return as Real Madrid coach after unbeaten run at Benfica

    May 18, 2026
    Alex Otti at a public event as Labour Party announces 2026 primary election timetable and nomination fees

    Otti, Labour Party reject Abure’s 2027 nomination forms sale

    May 18, 2026
    The Senate Committee on Diaspora and Non-Governmental Organisations has voiced alarm about the growing trend of Nigerians travelling abroad

    Senate condemns Oyo abduction, demands immediate action

    May 18, 2026
    Seyi Makinde addressing supporters during the PDP–APM Alliance rally in Ibadan where he declared his 2027 presidential ambition.

    Makinde confirms seven teachers abducted, one killed in Oyo

    May 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.