Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Jonathan: Abaribe urges Gowon to 'write his own book, reveal truth about 1966 coup'

    Gowon reaffirms love for Nigeria in autobiography ‘My Life of Duty & Allegiance’

    May 19, 2026
    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    Ebola deaths in Congo rise to 131 amid outbreak

    May 19, 2026
    DHQ confirms over 20 terrorists killed in coordinated US-Nigeria operation

    DHQ confirms over 20 terrorists killed in coordinated US-Nigeria operation

    May 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Gowon reaffirms love for Nigeria in autobiography ‘My Life of Duty & Allegiance’
    • Ebola deaths in Congo rise to 131 amid outbreak
    • DHQ confirms over 20 terrorists killed in coordinated US-Nigeria operation
    • JUST IN: EFCC arrests convicted ex-power minister Mamman in Kaduna
    • Adimike Godwin: NYSC member kills father in Abuja
    • Pereira: Nigerian athlete killed in US days before MBA graduation
    • EFCC will discipline officers over UUTH raid – Olukoyede
    • We thought Obasa’s impeachment had Tinubu’s backing – Desmond Elliot
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Tuesday, May 19
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Obanikoro tells court how N6.9bn was airlifted to Fayose in Ekiti

    David GreatBy David GreatNovember 30, 2023No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Police withdraw N1.3bn fraud case against Obanikoro’s son, others
    Senator Musiliu Obanikoro
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    A former Minister of State for Defence, Senator Musiliu Obanikoro, on Wednesday, November 29, 2023, told Justice Nnamdi Dimgba of the Federal High Court, Abuja, how the inability of a defunct commercial bank (Diamond Bank) to disburse sums of money prompted the airlifting of N1.219billion cash to former Ekiti State Governor, Ayodele Fayose for the governorship election in the state.

    Fayose is facing trial by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, alongside his firm, Spotless Investment Limited, following their alleged involvement in N6.9 billion money laundering.

    When prosecution counsel, Wahab Shittu, SAN, asked him to shed light on the source of the said N1.219billion, Obanikoro replied that he did not know the source of the money and that he only got the information on the money from the former National Security Adviser, NSA, Col Sambo Dasuki (retd). He explained that it was the former NSA that contacted him and that the said money had been paid into the account of Sylvan Mcnamara Ltd.

    He told the court that: “I was a minister under Jonathan’s administration in 2014. Sometime in 2014, we were going to have an election in Ekiti State. I was saddled with the responsibility of coordinating the activities in the election. Some days before the election, I got a call from Governor Fayose asking me if I received any message for him from ONSA, I can recall that before that, we had some activities among which was fundraising for that election. When Mr. Fayose called, I told him I would call him later. I had a phone conversation with the NSA and was told he would get back to me. After, he got back to me that N2.2billion was paid into the account of Sylvan Mcnamara Ltd,” he added.

    Former Ekiti governor, Ayodele Fayose
    Former Ekiti governor, Ayodele Fayose

    “The money came from the NSA. I can’t vouch for the source of the funds. Only the NSA can explain the source of the fund.”

    “I handed over the N1.219 million cash to Agbele for onward delivery to Fayose. I did not take any money or N19 million, contrary to a publication by a Lagos-based online platform.”

    Sambo Dasuki was at the heart of the arms deal scam
    Former National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki

    When asked about his relationship with Sylvan Mcnamara Ltd, the former minister stated that “the account was created to deal with the issue of Boko Haram in Lagos, the account was created by Taiwo Kareem and was used for disbursing funds for election. I put a call through to let Fayose know that the money had been paid. Diamond Bank had said it could not make the funds available, so we opted to airlift the funds. The funds were airlifted from Lagos in two tranches, the volume was much.”

    “Myself, my ADC and my security orderly were there, including a top aide of Fayose to meet Mr. Agbele, the bank manager. I instructed my orderly to escort Mr Agbele and ensure the safe delivery of the money.”

    When Shittu asked him about the source and what the funds were meant for, Obanikoro stated that “it was meant for our election in Ekiti. It came from Diamond Bank. N1.219 billion was moved from Diamond Bank out of the N2.2 billion.”

    Obanikoro further informed the court that Diamond Bank in Ado Ekiti said it lacked the capacity. “We airlifted the funds from Lagos in two tranches because the aircraft could not accommodate the funds. We used two aircraft and I was in one of the aircraft.

    Justice Dimgba thereafter adjourned the matter to February 27, 2024, for continuation of trial.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Jonathan: Abaribe urges Gowon to 'write his own book, reveal truth about 1966 coup'

    Gowon reaffirms love for Nigeria in autobiography ‘My Life of Duty & Allegiance’

    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    Ebola deaths in Congo rise to 131 amid outbreak

    DHQ confirms over 20 terrorists killed in coordinated US-Nigeria operation

    DHQ confirms over 20 terrorists killed in coordinated US-Nigeria operation

    Former Power Minister Saleh Mamman arrested by EFCC operatives in Kaduna after corruption conviction and sentencing.

    JUST IN: EFCC arrests convicted ex-power minister Mamman in Kaduna

    Godwin

    Adimike Godwin: NYSC member kills father in Abuja

    Pereira: Nigerian athlete killed in US days before MBA graduation

    Pereira: Nigerian athlete killed in US days before MBA graduation

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Jonathan: Abaribe urges Gowon to 'write his own book, reveal truth about 1966 coup'

    Gowon reaffirms love for Nigeria in autobiography ‘My Life of Duty & Allegiance’

    May 19, 2026
    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    Ebola deaths in Congo rise to 131 amid outbreak

    May 19, 2026
    DHQ confirms over 20 terrorists killed in coordinated US-Nigeria operation

    DHQ confirms over 20 terrorists killed in coordinated US-Nigeria operation

    May 19, 2026
    Former Power Minister Saleh Mamman arrested by EFCC operatives in Kaduna after corruption conviction and sentencing.

    JUST IN: EFCC arrests convicted ex-power minister Mamman in Kaduna

    May 19, 2026
    Godwin

    Adimike Godwin: NYSC member kills father in Abuja

    May 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.