Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Former Minister of Power Adebayo Adelabu, who resigned to contest the Oyo governorship primaries, has failed to clinch the ticket of the All Progressives Congress, APC.

    Adelabu loses APC gov ticket in Oyo after quitting as minister

    May 23, 2026
    Omoyele Sowore speaking on rejection of opposition coalition ahead of 2027 election

    ‘I’m running to win’, Sowore declares 2027 presidential ambition

    May 23, 2026
    NNPCL opposes Dangote refinery suit, warns against ‘monopoly control’ of fuel market

    NNPCL opposes Dangote refinery suit, warns against ‘monopoly control’ of fuel market

    May 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Adelabu loses APC gov ticket in Oyo after quitting as minister
    • ‘I’m running to win’, Sowore declares 2027 presidential ambition
    • NNPCL opposes Dangote refinery suit, warns against ‘monopoly control’ of fuel market
    • US cracks down on non-consensual AI-generated intimate images
    • How Ogun teacher abducted, killed WASSCE candidate, spent ransom on sports betting
    • Gas explosion kills 82 in China coal mine
    • Amaechi accuses Tinubu of creating hunger to bribe voters with rice
    • Amaechi declares self most qualified ADC presidential aspirant
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Saturday, May 23
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    NDDC approved N4.2b in one day, Akpabio tells Reps

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorJuly 21, 2020No Comments5 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Godswill Akpabio speaking at NRS headquarters inauguration in Abuja, addressing insecurity and 2027 elections.
    Senate President Godswill Akpabio
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Niger Delta Affairs Minister, Senator Godswill Akpabio on Monday detailed how contract splitting is deployed as fraud in the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC).

    According to him, the management of the agency indulges in splitting contracts to outwit the minister and evade approval.

    Speaking before the House of Representatives Committee on Niger Delta in Abuja, the minister alleged that the agency spent “over N4.2 billion in a day in tranches of N49 million.”

    The committee is probing how N40 billion was spent by the Interim Management Committee (IMC).

    Akpabio was invited with the acting Managing Director of the NDDC, Prof. Kemebradikumo Pondei.

    Pondei fainted during the proceedings and had to be revived and taken to the hospital.

    The minister also told the panel why Ms. Joi Nunieh was sacked as the agency’s managing director. Ms Nunieh, Akpabio said, was sacked, following a letter from the late Chief of Staff to the President, Mallam Abba Kyari, that she did not posses the requisite qualification to occupy a public office.

    On the allegation that the agency had been awarding contracts without going through the procurement process and signing of necessary documents, the minister said only three contracts had been awarded since his assumption of office.

    The minister hinted that in all the contracting processes, both the technical and financial bidding processes were conducted before they were awarded.

    Joi Nunieh has accused Akpabio of many things including sexual harassment and fraud
    Joi Nunieh has accused Akpabio of many things including sexual harassment and fraud

    Akpabio, however, claimed that NDDC managers have been splitting contracts to evade his signature, saying he has no hands in the contract payments by the agency as government regulation does not allow ministers to pay for parastatals’ contracts.

    • Acting NDDC MD will not appear before panel again – Gbajabiamila

    He said: “It is not my business to approve payment for parastatal. Where they can come to me is when the payment is above N1 billion. Even at that, I must go to FEC to get approval.”

    The minister said because of contract splitting, a minister could stay for four years in the ministry without knowing what was going on in the agency.

    “Over N4.2 billion was spent in a day in tranches of N49 million,” the minister told the panel.

    The management of the agency can award contracts less than N50 million while the board has the threshold of N500 million.

    On the forensic audit ordered last year by President Muhammadu Buhari, he said the exercise was ongoing contrary, to Ms. Nunieh’s claim that the audit had not kicked off.

    He added that nobody would have expected that the account of the agency would not be audited after 19 years of its existence.

    Shedding light on what led to the sack of Ms. Nunieh, Akpabio said a memo from the late Kyari stated that “the former NDDC boss does not have an NYSC certificate”, adding that the letter formed one of the basis for her removal from office.

    The other reason for her removal from office, he said, was insubordination and her refusal to honour a Federal Executive Council (FEC) invitation to offer explanation on certain actions of the commission.

    Akpabio said:”She ignored the letter written to her by the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry directing her to attend a meeting of the Federal Executive Council (FEC). She felt that she is bigger than the minister because she has a bigger budget.”

    In a rather rowdy session, Akpabio said N2.5 billion for the forensic audit was included in the 2019 budget of the agency.

    Amid the shout of ‘Hon. minister, it’s ok’; ‘Hon. minister, off your mic’, the minister kept talking, even when members urged him to stop his presentation.

    Akapabio alleged that lawmakers benfit more from NDDC contracts.

    He said: “Who are the greatest beneficiaries? It’s you people now…because if you look at your chairman…

    “Are you asking me the benefits to National Assembly? I just told you that we have records to show that most of the contracts of NDDC are given to members of the National Assembly, but you don’t know about it. The two chairmen can explain to you. Let me explain…”

    Akpabio however said “no” when asked whether he got a contract while in the Senate.

    When asked if he had been usurping the powers of past managing directors and to what extent he had influenced or exercised such powers in the agency, Akpabio said: “If I find out that the MD of NDDC is not acting in the interest of the Niger Delta people, I will intervene. I had to do that once when I heard about the payment for Lassa fever. I called and found out that they had paid N2.9 billion and they were about to pay another N572 million. I had to intervene to say they should not because there was no budget at that time. The contractor wrote to me to approve N572 million.”

    A member, Benjamin Kalu, accused the minister of not answering the committee members’ questions, but Akpabio denied, saying “I am giving you the facts.”

    Kalu also accused the minister of usurping the functions of the managing director by writing a letter to the Bureau of Public Enterprise (BPP) to secure a letter of no objection.

    But, Akpabio said: “It is the NDDC that eventually became the procuring agency. What happened was that we thought the government was going to pay for the forensic audit. But when the approval of the President came out, he said the NDDC should pay and so the letter we wrote was withdrawn.

    “We had even gone to the federal tenders’ board. But eventually, the NDDC became the procuring agency.”

    Akpabio also denied Ms. Nunieh’s allegations that she got his approval to share N10 billion from NDDC coffers to contractors.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Former Minister of Power Adebayo Adelabu, who resigned to contest the Oyo governorship primaries, has failed to clinch the ticket of the All Progressives Congress, APC.

    Adelabu loses APC gov ticket in Oyo after quitting as minister

    Omoyele Sowore speaking on rejection of opposition coalition ahead of 2027 election

    ‘I’m running to win’, Sowore declares 2027 presidential ambition

    NNPCL opposes Dangote refinery suit, warns against ‘monopoly control’ of fuel market

    NNPCL opposes Dangote refinery suit, warns against ‘monopoly control’ of fuel market

    US cracks down on non-consensual AI-generated intimate images

    US cracks down on non-consensual AI-generated intimate images

    How Ogun teacher abducted, killed WASSCE candidate, spent ransom on sports betting

    How Ogun teacher abducted, killed WASSCE candidate, spent ransom on sports betting

    Colombia mine explosion kills nine

    Gas explosion kills 82 in China coal mine

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Former Minister of Power Adebayo Adelabu, who resigned to contest the Oyo governorship primaries, has failed to clinch the ticket of the All Progressives Congress, APC.

    Adelabu loses APC gov ticket in Oyo after quitting as minister

    May 23, 2026
    Omoyele Sowore speaking on rejection of opposition coalition ahead of 2027 election

    ‘I’m running to win’, Sowore declares 2027 presidential ambition

    May 23, 2026
    NNPCL opposes Dangote refinery suit, warns against ‘monopoly control’ of fuel market

    NNPCL opposes Dangote refinery suit, warns against ‘monopoly control’ of fuel market

    May 23, 2026
    US cracks down on non-consensual AI-generated intimate images

    US cracks down on non-consensual AI-generated intimate images

    May 23, 2026
    How Ogun teacher abducted, killed WASSCE candidate, spent ransom on sports betting

    How Ogun teacher abducted, killed WASSCE candidate, spent ransom on sports betting

    May 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.