Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    February 16, 2026
    Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS

    Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS

    February 15, 2026
    Rayo Vallecano defeated Atlético Madrid 3-0 in Butarque, exposing Atlético's fragile lineup and lifting Rayo out of the relegation zone.

    Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash

    February 15, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe
    • Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS
    • Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash
    • FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu
    • Arsenal reach FA Cup fifth round after thrashing Wigan 4-0
    • Miyetti Allah rejects US sanctions over terrorism allegations
    • Tinubu to visit Adamawa, commission projects Monday
    • Customs seize N1bn worth of cocaine at Badagry–Seme border
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Monday, February 16
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    N541.8b Debt: NCC, CBN save Etisalat from takeover

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorMarch 10, 2017No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Hakeem Belo-Osagie, Etisalat chairman in Nigeria
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    Hakeem Belo-Osagie, Etisalat chairman in Nigeria

    The Nigeria Communication Commission (NCC) on Thursday said the Commission and Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) had moved to intervene in the Etisalat loan issue.

    The Director of Public Affairs of NCC, Mr Tony Ojobo said this in a statement issued in Abuja.

    “After a meeting on Thursday afternoon in Abuja between the Executive Vice Chairman of NCC, Prof. Umar Danbatta and the CBN Governor, Mr Godwin Emefiele and his team, a decision was reached to intervene in the loan issue between Etisalat Nigeria and a consortium of commercial banks.

    “The meeting which was held at the CBN in Abuja was convened by the financial regulator at the instance of NCC and the telecom regulator to further deliberate on how best to stop the attempt by the banks to take over Etisalat.

    “At the end of the meeting, the CBN agreed to invite Etisalat management and the banks to a meeting tomorrow, Friday, toward finding an amicable resolution,’’ he said.

    Ojobo said that the NCC as a regulator of the telecom industry had moved quickly to intervene earlier in the week by reaching out to the CBN because it was convinced of the negative impact such takeover move would have on the industry.

    He added that NCC was worried about the fate of the over 20 million Etisalat subscribers and the wrong signals this might send to potential investors in the Telecom industry.

    It was reported that on March 8, Etisalat was had been taken over by three banks because of its N541.8 billion debt.

    However, NAN correspondent spoke with the Head of Public Relations, Etisalat Nigeria, Ms Oluseyi Osuntedo, dispelled the talk that banks had taken over the company.

    Osuntedo NAN in Lagos that discussions were still ongoing between the banks and the company.

    “Discussions are going on; nobody is taking up the company.

    “It is not true that we are being picketed, whoever gave the information is not telling the truth,” she said.

    A consortium of some foreign and Nigerian banks, including Guaranty Trust Bank, Access Bank and Zenith Bank, have been having a running battle with the mobile telephone operator, over a loan facility totalling 1.72 billion dollars (about N541.8 billion) obtained in 2015.

    The banks said their attempt to recover the loan by all means, was fuelled by the pressure from the Asset Management Company of Nigeria (AMCON), demanding immediate cut down on the rate of their non-performing loans.
    .
    NCC appears not to be favourably disposed to the takeover proposal as it believed that Etisalat is not only a viable going concern, but also willing and able to negotiate the servicing of its loans.

    Etisalat is Nigeria’s fourth largest telecoms operator with about 21 million subscribers as at January 2017, according to the NCC.

    It commenced business in Nigeria in 2009.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Ambulance hits woman near finish line at Lagos City Marathon

    Ambulance hits woman near finish line at Lagos City Marathon

    SERAP sues CBN over missing N3tn funds

    SERAP sues CBN over missing N3tn funds

    China grants Nigeria, 52 other African nations zero tariffs May 1

    China grants Nigeria, 52 other African nations zero tariffs May 1

    CBN raises cheque violations penalties to N10m per infraction

    CBN raises cheque violations penalties to N10m per infraction

    Argungu fishing festival opens with 59kg record catch

    Argungu fishing festival opens with 59kg record catch

    NNPCL inspects Eba oil well ahead of Ogun drilling

    NNPCL inspects Eba oil well ahead of Ogun drilling

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    February 16, 2026
    Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS

    Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS

    February 15, 2026
    Rayo Vallecano defeated Atlético Madrid 3-0 in Butarque, exposing Atlético's fragile lineup and lifting Rayo out of the relegation zone.

    Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash

    February 15, 2026
    Wike bloc plans March 28 PDP convention after court victory

    FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu

    February 15, 2026
    Arsenal beat Brighton to reach Carabao Cup quarter-finals

    Arsenal reach FA Cup fifth round after thrashing Wigan 4-0

    February 15, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.