Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Pope Leo flags Nigeria over rising Christian persecution concerns

    Pope urges Christians to refrain from slander as Lent begins

    February 18, 2026
    Borussia Dortmund Niclas Fuellkurg scored the only goal of the match against PSG

    Borussia Dortmund get 2-0 Champions League win over Atalanta

    February 18, 2026
    Desire Doue

    Doue scores brace as PSG comeback to beat 10-man Monaco

    February 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Pope urges Christians to refrain from slander as Lent begins
    • Borussia Dortmund get 2-0 Champions League win over Atalanta
    • Doue scores brace as PSG comeback to beat 10-man Monaco
    • Vinicius scores winner despite racist abuse in Benfica clash
    • 2027: Tinubu appoints Uba Sani to lead APC mobilisation
    • Tinubu advocates fairer African financial system
    • Sultan confirms moon sighting, declares Wednesday beginning of Ramadan
    • Galatasaray thrash Juventus 5-2 in thrilling UCL clash
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Wednesday, February 18
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Jussie Smollet sentenced to jail for attack hoax

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorMarch 11, 2022No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Illinois Supreme Court overturns Jussie Smollett conviction
    Jussie Smollet, seen here in March 2019, is known for his role in the TV series Empire
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    US actor Jussie Smollett has been sentenced to 150 days in jail after a jury found he lied to police about being the victim of a hate crime.

    The former Empire star, 39, was found guilty in December of five charges of felony disorderly conduct after making false reports about the hoax attack.

    The sentence also includes 30 months of probation and $145,000 (£110,000) in restitution and fines.

    Following the sentence, Smollett said: “I did not do this!”

    The trial stemmed from an incident three years ago when Smollett said he was attacked by two assailants.

    The actor, who is black and gay, said the attackers shouted slurs at him and a Trump slogan, dumped a “chemical substance” on him and tied a noose around his neck while he was walking late at night in January 2019.

    Authorities opened an investigation, but in February of that year, police charged Smollett with filing a false police report, alleging he had staged the assault.

    The case against Jussie Smollet

    At trial last year, a jury of six men and six women heard from brothers Abimbola and Olabinjo Osundairo, who testified Smollett paid them to orchestrate the attack and paid them $3,500 to carry it out.

    • Abel Osundairo at center of Jussie Smollet scandal knocks out opponent in Chicago boxing bout

    Smollett faced up to three years in prison for each of the five counts. The first 150 days of his probation will be sent in custody, beginning immediately.

    He must also pay $120,106 in restitution to the city of Chicago and $25,000 in fines – the maximum allowable by law.

    Throughout the trial, Smollett maintained that he had been the victim of a crime.

    In court on Thursday, his defence team again asked that the case be thrown out or declared a mistrial, citing a previous prosecutor’s 2019 promise to drop the charges.

    Prosecutors characterised the effort as “finger-pointing and scapegoating”.

    Additionally, the judge heard from several witnesses who testified on Jussie Smollett’s behalf in a bid for leniency. Letters were also read from the likes of civil rights leader Jesse Jackson and actor Samuel L Jackson.

    “Jussie should not be incarcerated,” his brother Joel said. “He is not a threat to the people of Illinois.”

    A victim impact statement on behalf of the Chicago Police Department read in court said police officers had committed more than 30 officers to the investigation – spread over 1,426 regular hours and 1,837 overtime hours.

    They had interviewed dozens of witnesses, watched thousands of hours of surveillance videos and gone door-to-door during Chicago’s Polar Vortex – one of the coldest periods in the city’s history, it said.

    Judge James Linn repeatedly addressed Smollett directly and noted that the “unprecedented” media attention the case attracted is usually reserved for murder cases.

    “There is nothing that I can do here today that can come close to the damage you’ve already done to your own life,” Mr Linn told Smollett. “You’ve turned your life upside down by your conduct and shenanigans.”

    “You’re just a charlatan pretending to be a victim of a hate crime, and that’s shameful,” Mr Linn later added.

    Following the sentencing, Smollett left the courtroom with a raised fist, and exclaimed: “I am innocent, and I am not suicidal.”

    “If I did this, then it means that I stuck my fist in the fears of black Americans in this country for over 400 years and the fears of the LGBT community,” he said. “But I did not do this.”

    Jussie Smollett’s acting career stalled after the incident. He lost his role as a singer-songwriter in the final season of Empire, a Fox television hip-hop drama.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Pope Leo flags Nigeria over rising Christian persecution concerns

    Pope urges Christians to refrain from slander as Lent begins

    2027: Tinubu appoints Uba Sani to lead APC mobilisation

    2027: Tinubu appoints Uba Sani to lead APC mobilisation

    Tinubu vows to crush terrorism, says insecurity hurts Nigeria’s economy

    Tinubu advocates fairer African financial system

    Sultan of Sokoto

    Sultan confirms moon sighting, declares Wednesday beginning of Ramadan

    Senate approves electronic transmission of results, permits manual upload as backup

    Senate passes Electoral Act Amendment Bill

    Opposition lawmakers stage walk out over manual collation of results as backup

    Opposition lawmakers stage walk out over manual collation of results as backup

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Pope Leo flags Nigeria over rising Christian persecution concerns

    Pope urges Christians to refrain from slander as Lent begins

    February 18, 2026
    Borussia Dortmund Niclas Fuellkurg scored the only goal of the match against PSG

    Borussia Dortmund get 2-0 Champions League win over Atalanta

    February 18, 2026
    Desire Doue

    Doue scores brace as PSG comeback to beat 10-man Monaco

    February 18, 2026
    Vinicius Junior scored a spectacular winner for Real Madrid against Benfica in their Champions League play-off first leg, which was stopped for 10 minutes for alleged racist abuse.

    Vinicius scores winner despite racist abuse in Benfica clash

    February 18, 2026
    2027: Tinubu appoints Uba Sani to lead APC mobilisation

    2027: Tinubu appoints Uba Sani to lead APC mobilisation

    February 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.