Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Terrorists now using satellite communication, says NASRDA

    Terrorists now using satellite communication, says NASRDA

    November 29, 2025
    Tax reforms: NOA launches nationwide campaign to counter misinformation

    Tax reforms: NOA launches nationwide campaign to counter misinformation

    November 29, 2025
    2027: Court asked to restrain Jonathan from contesting

    Jonathan says Guinea Bissau coup painful than losing to Buhari

    November 29, 2025
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Terrorists now using satellite communication, says NASRDA
    • Tax reforms: NOA launches nationwide campaign to counter misinformation
    • Jonathan says Guinea Bissau coup painful than losing to Buhari
    • Nollywood actor Lere Paimo dies at 86
    • Terrorism: Northern governors get N56bn security votes
    • Obasanjo urges FG to stop negotiating with terrorists
    • Tinubu sets up national tax policy implementation committee
    • Court reserves judgment in Akpabio, Natasha’s appeals
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Saturday, November 29
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    John Terry leaves Aston Villa after play-off final defeat

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorMay 30, 2018No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    John Terry is expected to go abroad or move into management after leaving Aston Villa
    John Terry is expected to join Chelsea youth development
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    John Terry is expected to go abroad or move into management after leaving Aston Villa
    John Terry is expected to go abroad or move into management after leaving Aston Villa

    Aston Villa captain John Terry has left the club after they failed to gain promotion to the Premier League.

    Terry, 37, joined the Villans on a one-year deal last summer after leaving Chelsea and scored once in 36 appearances for the club.

    However, he could not help them return to the top flight after a two-year absence, as they lost 1-0 to Fulham in Saturday’s Championship play-off final.

    Villa thanked defender Terry for “the effort and professionalism he showed”.

    The club said in a statement: “John is a true leader and was everything and more that we hoped. Hugely popular and influential in the dressing room, he played a real captain’s role in creating the incredible bond the players shared with our supporters, and vice-versa.

    “We hope he looks back on his time with Villa fondly and we wish him the very best as his career moves forward.”

    Villa boss Steve Bruce said before the play-off final that he was hopeful that the former England captain, who made 492 league appearances across 19 years for Chelsea, would remain with the club if they secured a return to the Premier League.

    READ: Nigeria has 0.4% chance of winning the World Cup in Russia – Researchers

    Terry’s next move is not clear, although there are no initial indications that he plans to retire from playing.

    Before joining Villa last year, he reportedly received an “eye-watering offer” from Turkish club Galatasaray, while there was “definite interest” from China and the United States.

    He has also previously stated a desire to move into management, saying it would be “incredible” to manage his former side Chelsea once his playing career ends.

    Terry’s exit is likely to be the first of a busy summer at Villa Park after chairman Tony Xia said the club must “rethink not only the past two years but also the past 10 years”.

    Xia told the club website: “We are all aware we will face severe Financial Fair Play challenges next season. Villa needs to be a sustainable football club.

    “We have been heavily investing for the past two seasons. However, the loss on Saturday means that we need to change a lot of things.”

    Under a new set of FFP regulations agreed in November 2014, Championship clubs are not permitted to lose more than £39m over a three-season period.

    Xia, who bought the club in June 2016, has spent a large amount in his two years at the club, with Scott Hogan, Ross McCormack and Jonathan Kodjia all joining for fees in excess of £10m.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    NFF in fresh $960,000 FIFA Women World Cup scandal

    NFF in fresh $960,000 FIFA Women World Cup scandal

    Mikel Arteta was appointed as Arsenal head coach in 2019

    Arteta believes Chelsea ‘fully deserving’ title rivals ahead of clash

    Portugal clinch first-ever U17 World Cup title with win over Austria

    Portugal clinch first-ever U17 World Cup title with win over Austria

    Dominant Nottingham breeze past Malmo in Europa League

    Dominant Nottingham breeze past Malmo in Europa League

    D’Tigers fall to Tunisia 88-78 in 2027 FIBA World Cup qualifier

    D’Tigers fall to Tunisia in 2027 FIBA World Cup qualifier

    Malen scores twice in Villa's 2-1 win against Young Boys

    Malen scores twice in Villa’s 2-1 win against Young Boys

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Terrorists now using satellite communication, says NASRDA

    Terrorists now using satellite communication, says NASRDA

    November 29, 2025
    Tax reforms: NOA launches nationwide campaign to counter misinformation

    Tax reforms: NOA launches nationwide campaign to counter misinformation

    November 29, 2025
    2027: Court asked to restrain Jonathan from contesting

    Jonathan says Guinea Bissau coup painful than losing to Buhari

    November 29, 2025
    Veteran Nollywood actor and cultural icon Lere Paimo

    Nollywood actor Lere Paimo dies at 86

    November 29, 2025
    Terrorists now using satellite communication, says NASRDA

    Terrorism: Northern governors get N56bn security votes

    November 29, 2025
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2025 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.