Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Aston Villa players celebrate after defeating Freiburg to win the Europa League final in Istanbul.

    Clinical Aston Villa outclass Freiburg to win Europa League

    May 21, 2026
    Shettima says allies warned Tinubu against wearing gifted campaign outfits

    Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president

    May 20, 2026
    Rabiu Kwankwaso speaking during a political event amid ADC crisis speculation

    Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Clinical Aston Villa outclass Freiburg to win Europa League
    • Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president
    • Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges
    • Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliott withdraws
    • DHQ says Oyo school attacks not evidence of terrorist base in South-West
    • Desmond Elliot alleges intimidation, withdraws from APC primary
    • Nigeria intensifies airport surveillance over Ebola outbreak fears
    • Students flee Oyo schools as police dismiss terrorist attack rumours
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Thursday, May 21
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Italy’s Matteo Salvini shuts ports to Nigerian migrant rescue ship

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorJune 11, 2018No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    African migrants have been shut out by new Interior Minister Matteo Salvini Photo/SOS Mediterranee Italia
    African migrants have been shut out by new Interior Minister Matteo Salvini Photo/SOS Mediterranee Italia
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    African migrants have been shut out by new Interior Minister Matteo Salvini Photo/SOS Mediterranee Italia
    African migrants have been shut out by new Interior Minister Matteo Salvini
    Photo/SOS Mediterranee Italia

    A rescue vessel carrying 629 migrants including Nigerian minors is stranded in the Mediterranean after Italy’s new interior minister refused permission for it to dock.

    Matteo Salvini, leader of the right-wing League, said Malta should accept the Aquarius but he was rejected.

    Malta says the German charity SOS Méditerranée picked up the migrants in Libyan waters, which means they fall under Italy’s jurisdiction.

    Italy is the main entry for migrants crossing from North Africa to Europe.

    The League promised voters during Italy’s recent general election that it would take a tough stance on immigration.

    Interior Minister Matteo Salvini has refused to allow migrants into Italy Photo/SOS Mediterranee Italia
    Interior Minister Matteo Salvini has refused to allow migrants into Italy
    Photo/SOS Mediterranee Italia

    SOS Méditerranée, which runs the Aquarius, said the ship had been instructed by the Italian Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre to stand by in its current position, 35 nautical miles from Italy and 27 nautical miles from Malta.

    It reports that the migrants were picked up in six different rescue operations off Libya’s coast.

    READ: Guber Election: Osun Speaker insists on Osun West agenda

    “Our objective is the disembarkation in a port of safety of the 629 people now on board the Aquarius – some we rescued yesterday night in difficult conditions,” charity spokesperson Mathilde Auvillain was quoted as saying by Reuters news agency.

    The UN refugee agency in Italy has called on “states and actors involved” to “rapidly find solutions to allow migrants and refugees on board the Aquarius to disembark safely and quickly”.

    Who is on the ship?

    Many of the migrants were rescued in waters controlled by Libya, a common route for undocumented migrants attempting to enter Europe from sub-Saharan Africa.

    Interior Minister Matteo Salvini has refused to allow migrants into Italy Photo/SOS Mediterranee Italia
    Interior Minister Matteo Salvini has refused to allow migrants into Italy
    Photo/SOS Mediterranee Italia

    Some 400 were rescued by the Italian Navy, the Italian coastguard and merchant vessels before being transferred to the Aquarius.

    Among those saved and brought on board the Aquarius are 123 unaccompanied minors, 11 younger children and seven pregnant women, SOS Méditerranée says.

    The minors are aged between 13 and 17 and come from Eritrea, Ghana, Nigeria and Sudan. according to a journalist on the ship, Anelise Borges.

    Tweeting during the night, she added that the situation on board was calm and most of the people rescued were asleep.

    One Aquarius crew member, Alessandro Porro, told Italian news channel Sky TG24 that they desperately needed to know which port to go to.

    “The people we saved yesterday were in a difficult condition, at least 50 were at risk of drowning,” he added.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Shettima says allies warned Tinubu against wearing gifted campaign outfits

    Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president

    Rabiu Kwankwaso speaking during a political event amid ADC crisis speculation

    Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges

    Gbajabiamila behind my ordeal, detained journalist reveals on Inside Sources

    Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliott withdraws

    DHQ dismisses fears of terrorist stronghold after Oyo school attacks

    DHQ says Oyo school attacks not evidence of terrorist base in South-West

    Desmond Elliot speaking during an interview on Channels Television about the attempted impeachment of Mudashiru Obasa.

    Desmond Elliot alleges intimidation, withdraws from APC primary

    Nigeria intensifies airport surveillance over Ebola outbreak fears

    Nigeria intensifies airport surveillance over Ebola outbreak fears

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Aston Villa players celebrate after defeating Freiburg to win the Europa League final in Istanbul.

    Clinical Aston Villa outclass Freiburg to win Europa League

    May 21, 2026
    Shettima says allies warned Tinubu against wearing gifted campaign outfits

    Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president

    May 20, 2026
    Rabiu Kwankwaso speaking during a political event amid ADC crisis speculation

    Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges

    May 20, 2026
    Gbajabiamila behind my ordeal, detained journalist reveals on Inside Sources

    Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliott withdraws

    May 20, 2026
    DHQ dismisses fears of terrorist stronghold after Oyo school attacks

    DHQ says Oyo school attacks not evidence of terrorist base in South-West

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.