Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Shettima says allies warned Tinubu against wearing gifted campaign outfits

    Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president

    May 20, 2026
    Rabiu Kwankwaso speaking during a political event amid ADC crisis speculation

    Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges

    May 20, 2026
    Gbajabiamila behind my ordeal, detained journalist reveals on Inside Sources

    Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliott withdraws

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president
    • Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges
    • Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliott withdraws
    • DHQ says Oyo school attacks not evidence of terrorist base in South-West
    • Desmond Elliot alleges intimidation, withdraws from APC primary
    • Nigeria intensifies airport surveillance over Ebola outbreak fears
    • Students flee Oyo schools as police dismiss terrorist attack rumours
    • Bwala urges Nigerians to defend themselves against terrorists
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Thursday, May 21
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Italy adopts state of emergency over migrants

    Opalim LiftedBy Opalim LiftedApril 12, 2023No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Interior Minister Matteo Salvini has refused to allow migrants into Italy Photo/SOS Mediterranee Italia Migrant
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    In an effort to better manage migrant arrivals and facilities for repatriation, Italy’s cabinet on Tuesday declared a state of emergency on immigration after a “sharp rise” in flows over the Mediterranean, according to a statement.

    According to the ministry of maritime and civil safety, the first budget for the state of emergency will be 5 million euros ($5.45 million), and it will endure for six months.

    Nello Musumeci, the minister of civil protection, stated: “Let there be no doubt, we are not solving the problem; the solution can only depend on responsible intervention by the European Union.”

    According to a government source, the proposal would speed up the identification and deportation of individuals not permitted to remain in Italy and enable Giorgia Meloni’s right-wing administration to more promptly repatriate them.

    According to figures from the interior ministry, 31,300 migrants have entered Italy so far in 2023, up from around 7,900 during the same time last year, despite the government’s commitment to stop mass immigration.

    • Ex-Italy PM Berlusconi hospitalized for leukaemia

    On Monday, the coastguard oversaw rescue operations involving two vessels transporting a combined total of 1,200 persons, with the assistance of charitable organisations.

    After a fatal shipwreck off the coast of Calabria in southern Italy in late February, Meloni called on the European Union to take more measures to combat illegal immigration and harsher prison sentences for people traffickers.

    Roberto Occhiuto, the governor of Calabria, said in a statement that “it is right that the interior ministry and the institutions should have special powers to tackle and manage a complex phenomenon that is straining some southern regions.”

    ($1 = 0.9176 euros)

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Shettima says allies warned Tinubu against wearing gifted campaign outfits

    Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president

    Rabiu Kwankwaso speaking during a political event amid ADC crisis speculation

    Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges

    Gbajabiamila behind my ordeal, detained journalist reveals on Inside Sources

    Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliott withdraws

    DHQ dismisses fears of terrorist stronghold after Oyo school attacks

    DHQ says Oyo school attacks not evidence of terrorist base in South-West

    Desmond Elliot speaking during an interview on Channels Television about the attempted impeachment of Mudashiru Obasa.

    Desmond Elliot alleges intimidation, withdraws from APC primary

    Nigeria intensifies airport surveillance over Ebola outbreak fears

    Nigeria intensifies airport surveillance over Ebola outbreak fears

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Shettima says allies warned Tinubu against wearing gifted campaign outfits

    Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president

    May 20, 2026
    Rabiu Kwankwaso speaking during a political event amid ADC crisis speculation

    Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges

    May 20, 2026
    Gbajabiamila behind my ordeal, detained journalist reveals on Inside Sources

    Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliott withdraws

    May 20, 2026
    DHQ dismisses fears of terrorist stronghold after Oyo school attacks

    DHQ says Oyo school attacks not evidence of terrorist base in South-West

    May 20, 2026
    Desmond Elliot speaking during an interview on Channels Television about the attempted impeachment of Mudashiru Obasa.

    Desmond Elliot alleges intimidation, withdraws from APC primary

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.