Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Michael Oyedokun: Terrorists behead abducted Oyo teacher

    Oyo suspends excursions, field trips, as slain teacher laid to rest

    May 22, 2026
    Azpilicueta to retire at end of season

    Chelsea legend Azpilicueta to retire from football at end of season

    May 22, 2026
    Baba Malam Wali wins APC governorship ticket in Yobe

    Baba Malam Wali wins APC governorship ticket in Yobe

    May 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Oyo suspends excursions, field trips, as slain teacher laid to rest
    • Chelsea legend Azpilicueta to retire from football at end of season
    • Baba Malam Wali wins APC governorship ticket in Yobe
    • Alvaro Arbeloa confirms Real Madrid departure
    • Man United confirm Carrick as permanent head coach until 2028
    • Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola’s exit
    • Man City confirm Guardiola exit after trophy-filled 10-year reign
    • Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Friday, May 22
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    INEC seeks NASS approval of 126bn 2025 budget

    Opalim LiftedBy Opalim LiftedJanuary 11, 2025No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Tinubu accepts Yakubu’s departure as INEC chairman, awards national honour
    Former INEC chairman, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has proposed the sum of N126 billion for its 2025 budget.

    The Chairman of the Commission, Prof Mahmood Yakubu, made the presentation while defending the 2024 budget implementation before the National Assembly on Friday.

    He pleaded with the National Assembly to approve the 2025 budget which is nearly three times the size approved last year.

    “Our proposal for 2025; the Commission requires the sum of N126 billion. So, we will like the support of the National Assembly members to ensure that we are adequately funded for the responsibilities we are required to discharge, and most of these responsibilities are constitutional, they are not just in the Electoral Act,” Prof Yakubu said.

    Yakubu expressed concerns over the high cost of conducting elections in Nigeria, describing it as exorbitant and burdensome.

    He highlighted that despite INEC being one of the largest employers in the country, it operated on a reduced budget of N40 billion last year, significantly lower than the N80 billion initially requested.

    • SANs back INEC on destruction of uncollected PVCs

    He emphasized the financial strain this has placed on the commission’s ability to carry out its responsibilities effectively.

    In a bid to address these challenges, he appealed to the lawmakers to organize a retreat where both the legislature and INEC can collaborate, exchange ideas, and find solutions to the pressing issues affecting the electoral process in Nigeria.

    “We need a major conversation, the commission cannot continue conducting election all year round,” he said.

    The INEC boss further lamented the deteriorating state of INEC’s facilities, particularly the 860 buildings across the country, which are in urgent need of repair.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Michael Oyedokun: Terrorists behead abducted Oyo teacher

    Oyo suspends excursions, field trips, as slain teacher laid to rest

    Baba Malam Wali wins APC governorship ticket in Yobe

    Baba Malam Wali wins APC governorship ticket in Yobe

    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    Kaduna State Governor Uba Sani addressing judiciary staff union leaders during a meeting at Sir Kashim Ibrahim House in Kaduna.

    JUST IN: Sani approves nearly N1bn for Kaduna workers’ entitlements

    Trump : You're on your own, US tells citizens in Israel amid Middle East tensions 

    Trump sends 5000 US troops to Poland, NATO gives nod

    Nigerians reacting on social media to the appointment of Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar announced by President Tinubu.

    Mixed reactions trail JAMB registrar Segun Aina appointment

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Michael Oyedokun: Terrorists behead abducted Oyo teacher

    Oyo suspends excursions, field trips, as slain teacher laid to rest

    May 22, 2026
    Azpilicueta to retire at end of season

    Chelsea legend Azpilicueta to retire from football at end of season

    May 22, 2026
    Baba Malam Wali wins APC governorship ticket in Yobe

    Baba Malam Wali wins APC governorship ticket in Yobe

    May 22, 2026
    Alvaro Arbeloa appointed as Real Madrid head coach after Alonso exit

    Alvaro Arbeloa confirms Real Madrid departure

    May 22, 2026
    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent manager

    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent head coach until 2028

    May 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.