Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    DSS invites Datti Baba-Ahmed over alleged inciting public comments

    DSS invites Datti Baba-Ahmed over alleged inciting public comments

    November 29, 2025
    Minister for Justice and Attorney-General Abubakar Malami EFCC assets

    Malami released after EFCC grilling

    November 29, 2025
    Veteran Nollywood actor and cultural icon Lere Paimo

    Lere Paimo is alive – ANTP

    November 29, 2025
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • DSS invites Datti Baba-Ahmed over alleged inciting public comments
    • Malami released after EFCC grilling
    • Lere Paimo is alive – ANTP
    • Jonathan questions Guinea-Bissau’s president’s involvement in coup
    • Tanker explosion kills three in Kano
    • Kwara govt yet to release freed church abductees after one week
    • Terrorists now using satellite communication, says NASRDA
    • Tax reforms: NOA launches nationwide campaign to counter misinformation
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Saturday, November 29
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Indonesian cleric sentenced to death

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorJune 22, 2018No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Indonesian cleric Aman Abdurrahman, also known as Oman Rohman has been sentenced to life for masterminding a terror attack
    Indonesian cleric Aman Abdurrahman, also known as Oman Rohman has been sentenced to life for masterminding a terror attack
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    Indonesian cleric Aman Abdurrahman, also known as Oman Rohman has been sentenced to life for masterminding a terror attack
    Indonesian cleric Aman Abdurrahman, also known as Oman Rohman has been sentenced to life for masterminding a terror attack

    A court in Indonesia has found a cleric guilty of masterminding a 2016 terror attack in Jakarta which left four civilians dead. He has been sentenced to death.

    Aman Aburrahman was convicted of planning the attack which saw a suicide bomber blow himself up at a Starbucks.

    The cleric, who had declared his support for the Islamic State (IS), is also the spiritual leader of a local extremist network.

    The 2016 attack was the first linked to IS in Indonesia.

    Aburrahman, 46, has been in prison since 2010 but the court heard he planned the attacks from his jail cell.

    The attack saw a series of explosions hit the capital, with the Starbucks and a police security post among those hit by the blast.

    READ: EU retaliates, imposes tariff on US goods

    The blasts centered around a major shopping and business district, close to foreign embassies and United Nations offices.

    Gunmen were also holed up in the complex that housed the Starbucks, and gunfire was exchanged when police arrived.

    Two attackers were killed in the shootout and two others blew themselves up.

    The judge said in the sentencing on Friday that Abdurrahman had been proven guilty of “carrying out terrorism”.

    Abdurrahman had pleaded not guilty, saying he had inspired his followers to travel to Syria to fight with IS but had had not ordered attacks in Indonesia.

    He is the spiritual leader behind the Indonesian-based Jemaah Ansharut Daulah (JAD) military group, which had previously pledged allegiance to IS, and considered to be the de facto head of IS supporters in Indonesia.

    Indonesia, the world’s largest Muslim-majority country, has suffered militant attacks in the past but this was the first claimed by IS.

    In June, a cluster of suicide attacks in Surabaya saw churches and police headquarters targeted.

    At least 11 people died in an attack on three churches, making it the deadliest incident since 2005, when 20 people died in the Bali bombing.

    The churches attack was carried out by a family of six – including two girls ages nine and 12.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    DSS invites Datti Baba-Ahmed over alleged inciting public comments

    DSS invites Datti Baba-Ahmed over alleged inciting public comments

    Minister for Justice and Attorney-General Abubakar Malami EFCC assets

    Malami released after EFCC grilling

    Veteran Nollywood actor and cultural icon Lere Paimo

    Lere Paimo is alive – ANTP

    2027: Court asked to restrain Jonathan from contesting

    Jonathan questions Guinea-Bissau’s president’s involvement in coup

    39 Niger tanker explosion victims get mass burial

    Tanker explosion kills three in Kano

    The terrorists who kidnapped about 35 worshippers from the Christ Apostolic Church, Oke-Igan, Eruku, in the Ekiti Local Government Area of Kwara State, have reportedly demanded N100 million ransom per victim.

    Kwara govt yet to release freed church abductees after one week

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    DSS invites Datti Baba-Ahmed over alleged inciting public comments

    DSS invites Datti Baba-Ahmed over alleged inciting public comments

    November 29, 2025
    Minister for Justice and Attorney-General Abubakar Malami EFCC assets

    Malami released after EFCC grilling

    November 29, 2025
    Veteran Nollywood actor and cultural icon Lere Paimo

    Lere Paimo is alive – ANTP

    November 29, 2025
    2027: Court asked to restrain Jonathan from contesting

    Jonathan questions Guinea-Bissau’s president’s involvement in coup

    November 29, 2025
    39 Niger tanker explosion victims get mass burial

    Tanker explosion kills three in Kano

    November 29, 2025
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2025 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.