Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Nigerian troops during counter-terrorism operations in Borno State after the killing of ISIS commander Abu Bilal Al-Minuki.

    Nigeria denies US ground troop role in killing of ISIS leader Al-Minuki

    May 18, 2026
    Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar criticising Nigeria’s response to xenophobic attacks against Nigerians in South Africa.

    ‘Shamed into action’, Atiku slams FG’s response to South Africa xenophobic attacks

    May 18, 2026
    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    WHO declares DR Congo, Uganda Ebola outbreak global health emergency

    May 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Nigeria denies US ground troop role in killing of ISIS leader Al-Minuki
    • ‘Shamed into action’, Atiku slams FG’s response to South Africa xenophobic attacks
    • WHO declares DR Congo, Uganda Ebola outbreak global health emergency
    • 65 dead as DR Congo confirms new Ebola outbreak
    • NAFDAC warns Nigerians over counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets
    • Oyo shuts schools after students, principal abduction
    • Benue youths protest during APC primaries, reject political activities over killings
    • Bruno Fernandes equals assist record as Man United beat Forest 3-2
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Monday, May 18
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    India’s court jails ten for lynching man

    Opalim LiftedBy Opalim LiftedJuly 5, 2023No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Boko Haram member sentenced to death for terrorism offences in Adamawa, Borno
    Court of law
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    A court in India has given 10-year jail terms to 10 men for beating a Muslim man to death four years ago.

    Tabrez Ansari, 24, died days after being attacked by people who accused him of stealing a motorcycle in the eastern state of Jharkhand.

    A video showing Ansari being forced to chant chants praising Hindu gods while pleading for his life went viral and led to huge outrage in India.

    His family alleged that the police denied him treatment despite his injuries.

    The state police denied any wrongdoing.

    The video footage from the night of June 19, 2019 showed a terrified Ansari tied to an electricity pole and being assaulted by the mob, with blood and tears streaming down his face.

    • Court fines Twitter 5m-rupees citing misinformation in India

    His attackers forced him to repeatedly chant “Jai Shri Ram”, which translates from Hindi to “hail Lord Ram” or “victory to Lord Ram”.

    Ansari did as told, but the mob kept assaulting him through the night. He was handed over to the police the next day, who then arrested him for theft. His family had alleged that they were not allowed to see him.

    On June 22, Ansari complained of nausea, vomiting, and chest pain and was transferred to a hospital, but he died from injuries sustained during the attack.

    Last week, trial court Judge Amit Shekhar convicted the 10 men, ruling they were “guilty of culpable homicide not amounting to murder”.

    The police had been criticised initially for not invoking the more stringent murder charge. Later on, they did invoke murder charges against all the accused in a supplementary charge sheet.

    However, the judge said there was not enough evidence to convict the accused of murder.

    Ansari’s lynching by a Hindu mob was not an isolated incident; there have been several similar incidents reported in India in recent years where Muslims have been attacked by so-called “cow vigilantes” over rumours that they had eaten beef or that they were trying to smuggle cows, an animal many Hindus consider holy, for slaughter. Cow slaughter is illegal in many Indian states.

    The attacks on the minority community have been condemned by opposition politicians. Senior Congress party leader Rahul Gandhi had described Ansari’s lynching as a “blot on humanity”.

    Critics say anti-Muslim violence has risen since 2014 under the Hindu nationalist government of Prime Minister Narendra Modi. They say the prime minister has not condemned such attacks quickly or strongly enough.

    The government denies this and points out that days after Ansari’s killing, Mr. Modi said he was “pained” by the assault.

    Earlier too, he had said that “killing people in Indiana in the name of cows was “unacceptable”.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Nigerian troops during counter-terrorism operations in Borno State after the killing of ISIS commander Abu Bilal Al-Minuki.

    Nigeria denies US ground troop role in killing of ISIS leader Al-Minuki

    Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar criticising Nigeria’s response to xenophobic attacks against Nigerians in South Africa.

    ‘Shamed into action’, Atiku slams FG’s response to South Africa xenophobic attacks

    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    WHO declares DR Congo, Uganda Ebola outbreak global health emergency

    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    65 dead as DR Congo confirms new Ebola outbreak

    Packets of counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets flagged by NAFDAC over fake batch numbers and health risks in Nigeria.

    NAFDAC warns Nigerians over counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets

    Security concerns rise in Oyo communities as schools shut following student abduction in Oriire LGA.

    Oyo shuts schools after students, principal abduction

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Nigerian troops during counter-terrorism operations in Borno State after the killing of ISIS commander Abu Bilal Al-Minuki.

    Nigeria denies US ground troop role in killing of ISIS leader Al-Minuki

    May 18, 2026
    Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar criticising Nigeria’s response to xenophobic attacks against Nigerians in South Africa.

    ‘Shamed into action’, Atiku slams FG’s response to South Africa xenophobic attacks

    May 18, 2026
    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    WHO declares DR Congo, Uganda Ebola outbreak global health emergency

    May 17, 2026
    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    65 dead as DR Congo confirms new Ebola outbreak

    May 17, 2026
    Packets of counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets flagged by NAFDAC over fake batch numbers and health risks in Nigeria.

    NAFDAC warns Nigerians over counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets

    May 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.