Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Police probe officer who threatened to kill people filming him

    May 22, 2026
    DHQ says Oyo kidnap carried out by JAS terrorists

    DHQ says Oyo kidnap carried out by JAS terrorists

    May 22, 2026
    Foden, Palmer miss out on England World Cup squad

    Phil Foden, Cole Palmer out of England World Cup squad, Toney, Mainoo, Madueke in

    May 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Police probe officer who threatened to kill people filming him
    • DHQ says Oyo kidnap carried out by JAS terrorists
    • Phil Foden, Cole Palmer out of England World Cup squad, Toney, Mainoo, Madueke in
    • Oyo denies rescue of abducted students, teachers
    • Police deny rescue of abducted Oyo teachers, students
    • Foden, Palmer miss out on England World Cup squad
    • Ronaldo scores brace as Al Nassr win Saudi Pro League title
    • Kwankwaso denies working for Tinubu, says only ‘foolish people’ would believe
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Friday, May 22
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Hunger Protest: Court throws out suit seeking to stop citizens from further demonstrations

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoAugust 13, 2024No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Ukraine, Russia bicker over Nigeria's protests
    Nigerian protesters waving Russian flags
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Justice Peter Lifu of the Federal High Court in Abuja on Monday dismissed an application seeking an interim injunction to stop demonstrators from continuing the #EndBadGovernanceInNigeria protest.

    Aggrieved Nigerians, frustrated by the country’s economic suffering, marched from August 1 to 10 to protest the elimination of gasoline subsidies, bad government, and mounting hunger.

    Danladi Goje, Buky Abayomi, Adiza Abbo, and 13 other Nigerians filed an application on August 12 seeking the enforcement of their fundamental rights against the parties that organised the protests.

    The applicants sued Take It Back Movement, Concerned Nigerians, Nigerians Against Hunger, Initiative For Change, Human Rights Co-advocacy Initiative, Nigerian Against Corruption Initiative, Citizens for Change Advocacy Initiative, Timely Intervention Organisations, Active Citizens Group, and Students For Change We Coalition as the first through tenth respondents, respectively.

    The applicants also sued Total Intervention, Refurbished Nigeria, Tomorrow Today, Our Future In Our Hands Initiative, Youths Against Tyranny, Save Nigeria Movement, Omoyele Sowore, and the Social Democratic Party (SDP) as the 11th through 19th respondents.

    Other respondents in the case include the federation’s attorney general and security agencies. In his ruling, Justice Lifu denied the ex parte motion for lack of merit.

    The trial judge ruled that the #EndBadGovernance demonstration concluded last week, noting that no evidence was given to the court indicating that the demonstrators will reassemble later.

    The judge stated that the applicants’ counsel cannot serve his notice ex parte without submitting the necessary affidavit to support the demands for an interim injunction and substituted service.

    He later postponed the hearing on the request on notice until August 29.

    Tsembelee Sorkaa, the applicants’ lawyer, alleged in court records that his client’s rights to life, personal liberty, private and family life, and economic activities would be violated further if the first to 19th respondents continued their protest.

    Sorkaa sought the court to prevent the first through nineteenth respondents from continuing with the protest awaiting the outcome of his application on notice.

    The lawyer also asked the court to enforce the restraining order if it is granted.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Police probe officer who threatened to kill people filming him

    DHQ says Oyo kidnap carried out by JAS terrorists

    DHQ says Oyo kidnap carried out by JAS terrorists

    Principal of Community High School, Esinele, appeals for help in a viral video after gunmen abducted teachers and students in Oyo State

    Oyo denies rescue of abducted students, teachers

    Police IG Olatunji Disu meeting security officials and residents in Oriire, Oyo State, after a deadly school attack and abductions.

    Police deny rescue of abducted Oyo teachers, students

    Kwankwaso denies working for Tinubu and says Peter Obi is the best southern candidate for the 2027 election.

    Kwankwaso denies working for Tinubu, says only ‘foolish people’ would believe

    Kingsley Chinda emerges Rivers APC governorship candidate

    Kingsley Chinda emerges Rivers APC governorship candidate

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Police probe officer who threatened to kill people filming him

    May 22, 2026
    DHQ says Oyo kidnap carried out by JAS terrorists

    DHQ says Oyo kidnap carried out by JAS terrorists

    May 22, 2026
    Foden, Palmer miss out on England World Cup squad

    Phil Foden, Cole Palmer out of England World Cup squad, Toney, Mainoo, Madueke in

    May 22, 2026
    Principal of Community High School, Esinele, appeals for help in a viral video after gunmen abducted teachers and students in Oyo State

    Oyo denies rescue of abducted students, teachers

    May 22, 2026
    Police IG Olatunji Disu meeting security officials and residents in Oriire, Oyo State, after a deadly school attack and abductions.

    Police deny rescue of abducted Oyo teachers, students

    May 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.