Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Southampton had been looking for an immediate return to the Premier League having been relegated at the end of the 2024-25 season

    FA opens Southampton investigation over Spygate

    May 21, 2026
    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139

    May 21, 2026
    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • FA opens Southampton investigation over Spygate
    • WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139
    • Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty
    • Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar
    • Tinubu: Fuel subsidy, forex cabals behind rising insecurity
    • NDLEA busts N480bn methamphetamine lab in Ogun, arrests three Mexicans
    • Big Wiz: Wizkid becomes first African artiste to reach 11bn Spotify streams
    • NLC warns ‘no community is safe anymore’ after Oyo abduction
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Thursday, May 21
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Fubara withdraws from Rivers APC governorship primary

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoMay 21, 2026No Comments5 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Governor Siminialayi Fubara has appointed a new chief of staff and also secretary to the Rivers State Government.
    Rivers governor Siminalayi Fubara
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The governor of Rivers State, Siminalayi Fubara, has announced his resignation from the All Progressives Congress governorship primary contest.

    Fubara made this clear in a personally signed statement on Wednesday, stating that he will support whatever the party’s nominee is, according to The Nation.

    The governor stated that his decision was made after thorough consultations with his family, friends, and political acquaintances.

    “After deep reflection and extensive consultations with my family, friends, and associates, I have taken the difficult but necessary decision to withdraw from the APC governorship primaries. I do so with a full heart and with a firm commitment to support whoever emerges as the candidate of our wonderful party,” Fubara said.

    The news comes as Rivers State is undergoing political realignment in preparation for the 2027 general elections.

    Fubara stated that while the decision was difficult, he remained committed to supporting whoever emerged as the APC governorship candidate.

    According to him, leadership entails sacrifice, and personal ambition must occasionally yield to the collective interest of the people.

    “Rivers State is bigger than any individual, and at this critical moment, the peace, stability, and unity of our dear state must take precedence over every personal interest,” he said.

    Meanwhile, the besieged governor thanked his followers for their dedication, prayers, and sacrifices during the political process, knowing that many would be upset by his withdrawal.

    He said that his recent silence was “deliberate and strategic” and that it was motivated by the state’s best interests.

    The governor alluded to concealed political influences by remarking, “As our elders say, not everything a hunter sees in the forest is spoken of in the marketplace.”

    He went on to say that some truths were best kept silent, “not out of fear, but out of wisdom and restraint for the sake of peace and a greater purpose.”

    Fubara commended the APC leadership for the opportunity to participate in the process, as well as President Bola Tinubu for his encouragement and support.

    He urged party members to stay unified and dedicated to the APC, calling it their “collective home.”

    The governor, however, emphasized that his withdrawal not be taken as a sign of weakness or capitulation.

    “I stepped aside not out of weakness, fear, or surrender, but out of conviction and sacrifice so that Rivers State may move forward in peace and unity,” he said.

    • Desmond Elliot alleges intimidation, withdraws from APC primary

    • Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliot withdraws

    Fubara also promised to continue serving the people of Rivers State until the end of his tenure.

    He further stated, “Leadership is ultimately about sacrifice. There comes a time when personal ambition must yield to the greater good of the people. Rivers State is bigger than any individual, and at this critical moment, the peace, stability, and unity of our dear state must take precedence over every personal interest.

    “To my supporters who stood firmly with me throughout this journey who gave their time, resources, prayers, and unwavering hope, I offer my deepest gratitude. I understand the disappointment, the anger, and the pain many of you may feel.

    “Much has indeed been invested and much sacrificed along the way. But please know that your loyalty and trust were never in vain. My silence over this period was deliberate and strategic, guided always by the higher interest of our state and our people.”

    Fubara rose politically under the administration of his predecessor and political godfather, Nyesom Wike, serving as accountant-general of Rivers State before emerging as the PDP governorship candidate and winning the 2023 election with Wike’s backing.

    Shortly after taking office, however, the relationship between the two men deteriorated over control of the state’s political structure, appointments, and money, sparking a bitter power struggle involving the Rivers State House of Assembly, led by Speaker Martin Amaewhule, who remained loyal to Wike.

    The issue erupted when 27 lawmakers made moves aimed against Fubara, but the governor’s supporters questioned their legitimacy following claimed defections.

    The Assembly complex was later dismantled, and administration came to a halt while both groups swapped legal actions and political attacks.

    In March 2025, President Bola Tinubu imposed a state of emergency in Rivers State, suspending Fubara, his deputy, and all MPs for six months, claiming political unrest and dangers to governance and oil infrastructure.

    During the suspension, former Navy chief Ibok-Ete Ibas was designated as sole administrator.

    Fubara was later reinstated following political negotiations reportedly brokered by Tinubu, with conditions said to include working with the Amaewhule-led Assembly, maintaining peace with Wike’s camp, and putting an end to immediate political confrontation ahead of 2027, though some reported terms, including speculation about reelection concessions, were unofficial.

    The House of Assembly drama remained essential to the situation, with frequent disagreements over budget presentation, impeachment threats, and Supreme Court rulings that confirmed the Amaewhule faction as the recognized Assembly leadership.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    President Bola Tinubu speaking at a public event in Nigeria, representing federal government economic policy announcements.

    Tinubu: Fuel subsidy, forex cabals behind rising insecurity

    NDLEA operatives at a clandestine methamphetamine laboratory uncovered in Ogun forest with seized chemical substances and suspects.

    NDLEA busts N480bn methamphetamine lab in Ogun, arrests three Mexicans

    NLC warns ‘no community is safe anymore’ after Oyo abduction

    NLC warns ‘no community is safe anymore’ after Oyo abduction

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Southampton had been looking for an immediate return to the Premier League having been relegated at the end of the 2024-25 season

    FA opens Southampton investigation over Spygate

    May 21, 2026
    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139

    May 21, 2026
    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    May 21, 2026
    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    May 21, 2026
    President Bola Tinubu speaking at a public event in Nigeria, representing federal government economic policy announcements.

    Tinubu: Fuel subsidy, forex cabals behind rising insecurity

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.