Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    lMaresca to replace Guardiola as Man City manager

    Maresca to replace Guardiola as Man City manager

    May 19, 2026
    EFCC declares ex-minister Sadiya Farouq wanted for alleged fraud

    Sadiya Farouq: Court sustains arrest warrant against ex-minister

    May 19, 2026
    ADC south-south backs Amaechi for 2027 presidency

    Amaechi boast of beating Atiku to ADC ticket

    May 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Maresca to replace Guardiola as Man City manager
    • Sadiya Farouq: Court sustains arrest warrant against ex-minister
    • Amaechi boast of beating Atiku to ADC ticket
    • San Diego mosque shooting kills three
    • Arsenal three points from Premier League title after Burnley win
    • Court orders El-Rufai to report to DSS monthly
    • Political thugs disrupt Ondo APC primary collation
    • Akpabio emerges APC senatorial candidate for Akwa Ibom north west
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Tuesday, May 19
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Floods kill nine, ruin homes and wreck farms in Italy

    Opalim LiftedBy Opalim LiftedMay 18, 2023No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Landslides sweep two buses into river, 65 passengers missing
    South Korea landslides, floods kill 24, over 1,000 evacuated
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Floods in Italy’s northern Emilia-Romagna region killed nine people and inflicted billions of euros in damage, notably to agriculture, according to the regional governor on Thursday.

    Torrential rains last week wreaked havoc on the region’s eastern side, causing up to 300 landslides, 23 overflowing rivers, 400 damaged or destroyed highways, and 42 inundated communities.

    “We are facing a new earthquake,” Emilia-Romagna President Stefano Bonaccini told reporters, referring to the 2012 earthquake that destroyed hundreds of houses in the province.

    Noting that since then “almost everything” had been rebuilt, Bonaccini said, “That experience showed us that it can be done, and we will rebuild everything (again); I am sure of that.”

    According to the Coldiretti agricultural association, more than 5,000 farms were left under water in the region, which includes a so-called “Fruit Valley”, as well as corn and grain fields.

    • New Zealand pledges $720M for cyclone and flood recovery

    “We had already estimated almost 1 billion euros of damage (from those floods), so imagine how much the figure will rise” with the new disaster, Bonaccini said, adding it was too early to give precise figures.

    The floods are the latest in a series of extreme weather events that have slammed Italy over the past year, as once-exceptional disasters have become a regular part of life.

    The government has promised an extra 20 million euros ($22 million) in emergency aid on top of the 10 million euros allocated in response to previous floods two weeks ago, which killed at least two people.

    Luxury sportscar maker Ferrari (RACE.MI), which is based in Emilia-Romagna, announced a 1-million-euro donation.

    At least 10,000 people were forced to leave their homes, and many of those who remained in flooded areas were left with no electricity. One of the dead was swept away from her home and washed up on a beach some 20 kilometres away.

    In the town of Cesena, rain stopped and waters largely receded, allowing locals to regain access to their mud-wrecked homes, including Maurizio Cola and Raffaella Zanni, who escaped early on Wednesday.

    “We had to throw everything away; nothing was saved. Water has arrived up here. The bed expanded with the water,” Cola told reporters, while Zanni wiped away tears, mourning the loss of one of her most precious belongings: her wedding album.

    “All the memories,” Cola said.

    “Finished”, Zanni added.

    The Formula One Grand Prix in Imola, which is close to several of the worst-affected districts, was cancelled on Sunday to reduce burden on emergency services, but a Bruce Springsteen concert in Ferrara on Thursday was scheduled to go ahead as planned.

    Emilia-Romagna had been pummelling by harsh weather for the second time this month. Meteorologists said the heavy rains came after months of drought that had dried up the terrain, limiting its ability to absorb water.

    Reuters

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    EFCC declares ex-minister Sadiya Farouq wanted for alleged fraud

    Sadiya Farouq: Court sustains arrest warrant against ex-minister

    ADC south-south backs Amaechi for 2027 presidency

    Amaechi boast of beating Atiku to ADC ticket

    San Diego mosque shooting kills three

    San Diego mosque shooting kills three

    El-Rufai court bail hearing in Abuja with strict DSS reporting and surety conditions outlined by the Federal High Court.

    Court orders El-Rufai to report to DSS monthly

    Land-grabbing thugs popularly called "Omo Onile" have demolished over 50 buildings in the Surulere community of Lagos State.

    Political thugs disrupt Ondo APC primary collation

    Senate : SERAP demands Akpabio publish names in N200tn NNPCL probe

    Akpabio emerges APC senatorial candidate for Akwa Ibom north west

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    lMaresca to replace Guardiola as Man City manager

    Maresca to replace Guardiola as Man City manager

    May 19, 2026
    EFCC declares ex-minister Sadiya Farouq wanted for alleged fraud

    Sadiya Farouq: Court sustains arrest warrant against ex-minister

    May 19, 2026
    ADC south-south backs Amaechi for 2027 presidency

    Amaechi boast of beating Atiku to ADC ticket

    May 19, 2026
    San Diego mosque shooting kills three

    San Diego mosque shooting kills three

    May 19, 2026
    Arsenal close in on Premier League title after Havertz sinks Burnley

    Arsenal three points from Premier League title after Burnley win

    May 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.