Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Social network X restored global outage

    Social network X restored after global outage

    February 16, 2026
    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    February 16, 2026
    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Social network X restored after global outage
    • Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others
    • US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links
    • Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack
    • Tinubu lauds Adamawa gov for infrastructure projects
    • APC apologies for listing late army general, serving justice as stakeholders
    • Natasha in fresh clash at senate committee chairman’s office
    • Ramadan: EPL to pause matches so Muslim players can break fast
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Tuesday, February 17
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Fisayo Soyombo accuses security personnel of aiding, abetting illegal bunkering

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoNovember 30, 2024No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    FIJ journalist Fisayo Soyombo arrested at oil bunkering site
    FIJ journalist Fisayo Soyombo
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Investigative journalist Fisayo Soyombo, on Saturday, disclosed petinent details of his recent encounter with operatives of the Nigerian Army, calling for a complete overhaul of the country’s security structures to tackle illegal crude oil bunkering effectively.

    Soyombo revealed how the oil bunkers provided him with an account of the sensitive information he had previously shared with the Nigerian Army, aimed at nipping to the bud illicit bunkering operations.

    Speaking during an interview on Arise TV, Soyombo confirmed that his arrest occurred while conducting an undercover investigation.

    He stated that he had been investigating the security network that protects illegal bunkers, which he described as a complex issue.

    Soyombo, the founder of the Foundation for Investigative Journalism (FIJ), was detained for three days by the 6th Division of the Nigeria Army in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, before his release on Friday.

    He stated that his release followed widespread media coverage of his arrest.

    Speaking on the incident, the award-winning journalist explained that the Army’s grievance stemmed from not being properly briefed about the investigation.

    He said, “Everyone other than the Nigerian Army already knows what happened. I am an investigative and undercover journalist. I was investigating illegal oil bunkering. It’s a complex story.

    “It happened that someone within the security setup got offended for not being bribed, as illegal bunkers often bribe security personnel. One individual got upset, tipped others off, and suddenly they arrived.

    “Everyone else ran away except me. So, there was no arrest. The Nigerian Army didn’t arrest me. They spotted me, flashed their torch, and I came out to engage them.”

    The investigative journalist explained that he had assumed it was a “settlement conversation” and voluntarily approached the soldiers, knowing he had nothing to hide, saying, “All the others fled into the bush, but I stayed because I knew I had nothing to hide.”

    Soyombo also spoke on his three-day detention, claiming it vindicated his actions.

    He said, “I spent three days in military detention, and everything I told the highest levels of the Army was confirmed.

    “The illegal bunkers told me everything I had shared with the Qrmy. Was I wrong not to have carried the Army along?

    “How could I have been grilled for three days, and yet, everything I told you came out before I was released? The oil bunkers even echoed my statements. They were on point, without a single mistake.”

    He further claimed, “This incident is proof of how bad the system is. Illegal bunkering will not stop in this country because there are collaborators in multiple security formations.”

    Soyombo also urged the Nigerian Army to clarify why the information he shared was leaked before his release.

    “The Nigerian Army has to explain why everything I mentioned in my statement got out before me and was relayed to the illegal oil bunkers,” he said. “They even sent my last interview to them.”

    The FIJ founder accused the Nigerian Army spokesperson of compromising his security by prematurely linking him to the illegal bunkering network.

    Soyombo added, “My organisation only announced my detention and made no mention of oil bunkering, but the statement released by the Army alerted the bunkers that I was onto them.”

    He expressed worry for his safety, emphasising that the Army, which should be working with him to combat illegal oil bunkering, had instead placed his security at risk.

    He said, “If not for the precautions I took before the investigation, my organisation wouldn’t have known my location. I might still be in detention today.

    “They even told me they would continue the investigation for as long as necessary, even if it took two months. The only reason I’m out now is because it became public.”

    Soyombo shared a light-hearted moment from his detention, revealing, “They gave me food and everything, so they knew I wasn’t a criminal.

    “Yes, I watched part of the Liverpool vs. Real Madrid Champions League match on Wednesday in the house of the area commander, so they knew I wasn’t a criminal.”

    Finally, he gave a hint at stepping back from undercover journalism, revealing, “I don’t think this will change how I approach future stories, but I do know I’m running out of time.

    “I might have just one, two, or three more undercover investigations before I stop. I would rather stop than change my approach.”

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Social network X restored global outage

    Social network X restored after global outage

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    Emergency rule: Court to decide if Tinubu can remove elected officials March 9

    Tinubu lauds Adamawa gov for infrastructure projects

    APC apologies for listing late army general, serving justice as stakeholders

    APC apologies for listing late army general, serving justice as stakeholders

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Social network X restored global outage

    Social network X restored after global outage

    February 16, 2026
    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    February 16, 2026
    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    February 16, 2026
    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    February 16, 2026
    Emergency rule: Court to decide if Tinubu can remove elected officials March 9

    Tinubu lauds Adamawa gov for infrastructure projects

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.