Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    February 16, 2026
    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    February 16, 2026
    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others
    • US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links
    • Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack
    • Tinubu lauds Adamawa gov for infrastructure projects
    • APC apologies for listing late army general, serving justice as stakeholders
    • Natasha in fresh clash at senate committee chairman’s office
    • Ramadan: EPL to pause matches so Muslim players can break fast
    • FG files charges against El-Rufai for intercepting Ribadu’s phone
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Monday, February 16
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    FG steps up efforts to repatriate $321m from Switzerland

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorNovember 21, 2017No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    President Muhammadu Buhari has appointed Rev Yakubu Pam as the Executive Secretary of Nigerian Christian Pilgrims Commission, NCPC
    President Muhammadu Buhari has appointed Rev Yakubu Pam as the Executive Secretary of Nigerian Christian Pilgrims Commission, NCPC
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    President Muhammadu Buhari

    The federal government has stepped up efforts aimed at repatriating $321 million looted funds from Switzerland before the end of the year.

    The announcement was made on Monady by the Senior Special Assistant to President Muhammadu Buhari on Justice Reforms, Mrs. Juliet Ibekaku, at an anti-corruption campaign organised by the Centre for Democratic Development (CDD) in Abuja.



    Ibekaku noted that as a result of the efforts made so far by the present administration, part of the Malabu Oil deal funds held by the court in the United Kingdom had been recovered.

    The presidential aide said: “We are also working to finalise the process for the return of $321million and by December, we are going to sign the MoU for the return of the money held in Switzerland.

    “I am happy to also note here that some civil society organisations working in the area of asset recovery were involved in the negotiation of the MoU and will be involved in monitoring the assets.
    “This is to ensure that the returned funds are managed in a transparent manner as other recovery plans continue in countries like UK, Island of Jersey and France.”

    Read Also Judge’s absence stalls Nnamdi Kanu’s trial

    Ibekaku said that the federal government had also opened up discussion with the US government for the return of the money that left that country for two or three years from 2013.

    She explained that the recovery mission was hinged on the Open Government Partnership Initiative which was committed to four thematic areas: Transparency, Anti-corruption, Access to information, Citizen Engagement and Empowerment.
    The presidential aide said the president has also directed all the law enforcement agencies to put all recovered money in the central account.

    Ibekaku said that the president also directed that asset recovery should now be ploughed into the budget to fund part of it, starting from 2017 “so that is what the money is being used for.”

    She further clarified that all the money being recovered by the anti-corruption agencies would go towards funding part of the budget.

    Also speaking, the Executive Director of CDD, Ms Idayat Hassan stated that the event was organised with support from the Open Society Initiative for West Africa and the Department for International Development.

    According to her, the event is getting answers to some questions on the recovered money.
    Hassan said it was obvious that tackling corruption remained one of the president’s main priorities.
    She said it was in line with the president’s vision that the event was organised, to provide a platform for constructive review and interrogate government’s approach to anti-graft campaign.

    The executive director added that the platform also sought to proffer alternative opinions for robust, effective and sustained interventions in the anti-corruption fight and effective usage of the recovered money.

    She called on the government to carry Nigerians along on the amount recovered so far and how the money was being spent to boost their confidence on the administration’s policies and programmes.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    Emergency rule: Court to decide if Tinubu can remove elected officials March 9

    Tinubu lauds Adamawa gov for infrastructure projects

    APC apologies for listing late army general, serving justice as stakeholders

    APC apologies for listing late army general, serving justice as stakeholders

    Court adjourns Natasha Akpoti’s suit against senate to March 25

    Natasha in fresh clash at senate committee chairman’s office

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    February 16, 2026
    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    February 16, 2026
    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    February 16, 2026
    Emergency rule: Court to decide if Tinubu can remove elected officials March 9

    Tinubu lauds Adamawa gov for infrastructure projects

    February 16, 2026
    APC apologies for listing late army general, serving justice as stakeholders

    APC apologies for listing late army general, serving justice as stakeholders

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.