Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Southampton had been looking for an immediate return to the Premier League having been relegated at the end of the 2024-25 season

    FA opens Southampton investigation over Spygate

    May 21, 2026
    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139

    May 21, 2026
    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • FA opens Southampton investigation over Spygate
    • WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139
    • Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty
    • Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar
    • Tinubu: Fuel subsidy, forex cabals behind rising insecurity
    • NDLEA busts N480bn methamphetamine lab in Ogun, arrests three Mexicans
    • Big Wiz: Wizkid becomes first African artiste to reach 11bn Spotify streams
    • NLC warns ‘no community is safe anymore’ after Oyo abduction
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Thursday, May 21
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    EFCC boss laments, says yahoo boys now involved in ritual killings, banditry

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoFebruary 14, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    EFCC chairman speaking on cryptocurrency crime risks at UNODC Nigeria programme launch
    EFCC chairman, Ola Olukoyede
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The Executive Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, Ola Olukoyede, has defended the commission’s ongoing crackdown on internet fraudsters, popularly known as Yahoo Yahoo boys, despite criticisms from many quarters.

    Speaking on Thursday while receiving the management of The PUNCH at the EFCC’s corporate headquarters in Abuja, Olukoyede noted that the country lost over $500 million in one year due to internet fraud.

    The EFCC chairman stated that the activities of internet fraudsters had evolved beyond online scams, warning that they were now involved in more dangerous crimes, such as kidnapping, ritual killings, and arms trafficking.

    “We are doing the work. Last year alone, we had over 11,000 petitions, investigated close to 9,000, and prosecuted nearly 5,000 cases despite our limited manpower. Some people criticize us for going after Yahoo Yahoo boys, but they don’t understand the severity of the crime.

    “It is no longer just about scamming people. They are now into kidnapping, banditry, and ritual killings. Some of our investigations have uncovered horrifying details, including cases where young female victims were used for rituals. If we don’t act decisively, in the next 10 years, we may not have a generation we can confidently hand over this country to,” Olukoyede stated.

    Olukoyede also emphasized the EFCC’s commitment to internal cleansing, revealing that he had sacked 27 commission staff members in the past year over corruption allegations.

    “You cannot be fighting corruption and be corrupt yourself. I have publicly challenged anyone to come forward with evidence that I have collected bribes in my years of service. Integrity is key in this fight, and we must lead by example,” he said.

    The Olukoyede urged the media to play a more active role in shaping public perception of the commission’s work, advocating investigative journalism that highlights both corruption and the agency’s achievements.

    “The media has always been a key player in the anti-corruption fight. In the early 2000s, before the EFCC was established, it was journalists who exposed many financial crimes. We need to return to that era where the media and law enforcement work together to protect the country,” he said.

    The Chief of Staff to the EFCC Chairman, Michael Nzekwe, praised the media’s role in sensitization and advocacy, calling for greater collaboration.

    “The media is a critical partner in this fight. The advocacy and awareness you create have helped sustain the anti-corruption movement in Nigeria. We ask for even more understanding in the way our work is reported. The fight against corruption is for the good of all Nigerians, not just the EFCC,” he said.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    President Bola Tinubu speaking at a public event in Nigeria, representing federal government economic policy announcements.

    Tinubu: Fuel subsidy, forex cabals behind rising insecurity

    NDLEA operatives at a clandestine methamphetamine laboratory uncovered in Ogun forest with seized chemical substances and suspects.

    NDLEA busts N480bn methamphetamine lab in Ogun, arrests three Mexicans

    NLC warns ‘no community is safe anymore’ after Oyo abduction

    NLC warns ‘no community is safe anymore’ after Oyo abduction

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Southampton had been looking for an immediate return to the Premier League having been relegated at the end of the 2024-25 season

    FA opens Southampton investigation over Spygate

    May 21, 2026
    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139

    May 21, 2026
    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    May 21, 2026
    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    May 21, 2026
    President Bola Tinubu speaking at a public event in Nigeria, representing federal government economic policy announcements.

    Tinubu: Fuel subsidy, forex cabals behind rising insecurity

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.