Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Governor Uba Sani of Kaduna State has approved 50 Christians from the state to embark on a holy pilgrimage, ending an 11-year suspension of the program.

    Kaduna ends El-Rufai’s ban, approves 50 Christians for pilgrimage

    February 18, 2026
    Troops nab 25 suspected bandits, kidnappers along Benue highway 

    Troops rescue victim, kill five kidnappers in Plateau

    February 18, 2026
    Vinicius, racism and mourinho’s hideous reaction, by Bamidele Johnson

    Vinicius, racism and Mourinho’s hideous reaction, by Bamidele Johnson 

    February 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Kaduna ends El-Rufai’s ban, approves 50 Christians for pilgrimage
    • Troops rescue victim, kill five kidnappers in Plateau
    • Vinicius, racism and Mourinho’s hideous reaction, by Bamidele Johnson 
    • Dangote predicts Naira at N1,100/dollar in 2026
    • Wike berates Amaechi over NASS protest appearance with doctor son
    • Residents flee to Benin Republic as terrorists invade Niger again
    • EFCC extends El-Rufai detention over N432bn corruption probe
    • Aiyedatiwa denies role in APC chairman attack in Ondo
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Wednesday, February 18
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    ECOWAS condemns coup plot in Benin

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoDecember 7, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    ECOWAS condemns coup plot in Benin
    President Patrice Talon of Benin Republic
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) on Sunday condemned what it described as an attempted military takeover in the Republic of Benin.

    This comes as panic and shooting were reported in sections of Cotonou after soldiers claimed to have ousted President Patrice Talon from office.

    In a statement issued in Abuja, the regional group stated, “The ECOWAS Commission has received with concern reports of an attempted military takeover in the Republic of Benin.”

    “ECOWAS strongly condemns this unconstitutional move that represents a subversion of the will of the people of Benin.”

    The commission advocated respect for Benin’s constitutional order and praised the security forces’ efforts to restore calm.

    “ECOWAS calls for the full respect of the Constitution of Benin and salutes the efforts of the government and the Republican Army in bringing the situation under control,” it said, warning that coup plotters would be held accountable.

    “ECOWAS holds the leaders of the plot both individually and collectively responsible for any loss to life and property occasioned by their action,” it added.

    The Commission also signalled readiness to intervene if necessary, stating, ”ECOWAS will support the government and the people in all forms necessary, including the deployment of the regional standby force, to defend the Constitution and the territorial integrity of Benin.”

    The remark came after a group of troops known as the “Military Committee for Refoundation” issued an announcement earlier in the day.

    They claimed on national television that they had met and agreed that “Mr. Patrice Talon is removed from office as president of the republic.”

    Talon’s entourage, however, asserted that the president was safe and that loyalist forces were regaining control.

    “This is a small group of people who only control the television. The regular army is regaining control. The city and the country are completely secure,” his office told AFP.

    The French embassy reported disturbances in Camp Guezo, which is adjacent to the president’s official residence in the economic capital, saying on X that “gunfire was reported at Camp Guezo” and advising French nationals to stay inside.

    The attempted takeover occurs at a sensitive time for the region, which has experienced numerous coups in recent years, including in Niger, Burkina Faso, Madagascar, and Guinea-Bissau.

    Benin, formerly regarded as one of West Africa’s most stable democracies, has a history of coups and attempted coups.

    Talon, 67, a former businessman dubbed the “cotton king” of Cotonou, has ruled since 2016. He is set to stand down in April, at the end of his second and last term, as permitted under the constitution.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Governor Uba Sani of Kaduna State has approved 50 Christians from the state to embark on a holy pilgrimage, ending an 11-year suspension of the program.

    Kaduna ends El-Rufai’s ban, approves 50 Christians for pilgrimage

    Troops nab 25 suspected bandits, kidnappers along Benue highway 

    Troops rescue victim, kill five kidnappers in Plateau

    Dangote predicts Naira at N1,100 per dollar in 2026

    Dangote predicts Naira at N1,100/dollar in 2026

    You have a spiritual problem – Wike blasts Amaechi over property claims

    Wike berates Amaechi over NASS protest appearance with doctor son

    Residents flee to Benin Republic as terrorists invade Niger again

    Residents flee to Benin Republic as terrorists invade Niger again

    DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    EFCC extends El-Rufai detention over N432bn corruption probe

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Governor Uba Sani of Kaduna State has approved 50 Christians from the state to embark on a holy pilgrimage, ending an 11-year suspension of the program.

    Kaduna ends El-Rufai’s ban, approves 50 Christians for pilgrimage

    February 18, 2026
    Troops nab 25 suspected bandits, kidnappers along Benue highway 

    Troops rescue victim, kill five kidnappers in Plateau

    February 18, 2026
    Vinicius, racism and mourinho’s hideous reaction, by Bamidele Johnson

    Vinicius, racism and Mourinho’s hideous reaction, by Bamidele Johnson 

    February 18, 2026
    Dangote predicts Naira at N1,100 per dollar in 2026

    Dangote predicts Naira at N1,100/dollar in 2026

    February 18, 2026
    You have a spiritual problem – Wike blasts Amaechi over property claims

    Wike berates Amaechi over NASS protest appearance with doctor son

    February 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.