Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    President Bola Tinubu speaking at a public event in Nigeria, representing federal government economic policy announcements.

    Tinubu: Fuel subsidy, forex cabals behind rising insecurity

    May 21, 2026
    NDLEA operatives at a clandestine methamphetamine laboratory uncovered in Ogun forest with seized chemical substances and suspects.

    NDLEA busts N480bn methamphetamine lab in Ogun, arrests three Mexicans

    May 21, 2026
    Big Wiz: Five Wizkid songs that sound like Fela’s

    Big Wiz: Wizkid becomes first African artiste to reach 11bn Spotify streams

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Tinubu: Fuel subsidy, forex cabals behind rising insecurity
    • NDLEA busts N480bn methamphetamine lab in Ogun, arrests three Mexicans
    • Big Wiz: Wizkid becomes first African artiste to reach 11bn Spotify streams
    • NLC warns ‘no community is safe anymore’ after Oyo abduction
    • Gowon accuses Ojukwu of frustrating peace talks, causing civil war
    • SDP expels presidential candidate, 11 others as crisis worsens
    • Otedola sells Geregu stake to invest in Dangote refinery
    • APC primaries tear Benue apart, ‘results were allocated’ aggrieved members claim
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Thursday, May 21
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    DHQ confirms coup attempt, indicted officers to face military trial

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoJanuary 26, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    DHQ says Boko Haram, ISWAP fighters use similar names to hide identities
    Defence Headquarters, DHQ Nigeria
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) on Monday disclosed that investigations into alleged misconduct by some officers unveiled claims of a plot to overthrow the government.

    In October 2025, the DHQ reported the arrest of 16 officers for indiscipline and violations of service norms.

    On October 18, Sahara Reporters claimed that the officers, ranging in rank from captain to brigadier general, had been arrested by the Defence Intelligence Agency for allegedly having covert meetings to overthrow the government.

    The platform further connected the cancellation of the October 1 Independence Day parade to the purported conspiracy.

    Brigadier General Tukur Gusau, the former Director of Defence Information, responded at the time, saying the release was designed to cause friction and distrust among Nigerians and that the affair was entirely a disciplinary matter addressed internally.

    “The ongoing investigation involving the sixteen officers is a routine internal process aimed at ensuring discipline and professionalism are maintained within the ranks. An investigative panel has been duly constituted, and its findings will be made public,” the statement said.

    Major General Samaila Uba, the new Director of Defence Information, issued an update on Monday, stating that a thorough inquiry had been undertaken in accordance with established military protocols.

    He stated that the findings revealed that some of the officers had cases to answer on allegations of plotting to overthrow the government and that the inquiry report had been given to the proper higher authority.

    • Nigeria’s alleged coup: Identities of 16 detained officers revealed

    The statement partly read, “The Defence Headquarters issued a press statement in October 2025 regarding the arrest of sixteen officers over acts of indiscipline and breaches of service regulations.

    “The Armed Forces of Nigeria wishes to inform the general public that investigations into the matter have been concluded and the report forwarded to the appropriate superior authority in line with extant regulations.

    “The comprehensive investigation process, conducted in accordance with established military procedures, has carefully examined all circumstances surrounding the conduct of the affected personnel.

    “The findings have identified a number of the officers with allegations of plotting to overthrow the government, which is inconsistent with the ethics, values, and professional standards required of members of the AFN.”

    Uba stated that individuals indicted would be formally arraigned before relevant military judicial panels to stand justice in accordance with the Armed Forces Act and other applicable service laws.

    He emphasized that the approach will ensure accountability while maintaining fairness and due process.

    He emphasized that the measures being implemented were solely disciplinary and were part of institutional procedures aimed at maintaining order, discipline, and operational effectiveness among the ranks.

    Uba added, “Accordingly, those with cases to answer will be formally arraigned before appropriate military judicial panels to face trial in accordance with the Armed Forces Act and other applicable service regulations. This ensures accountability while upholding the principles of fairness and due process.

    “The AFN reiterates that measures being taken are purely disciplinary and part of ongoing institutional mechanisms to preserve order, discipline, and operational effectiveness within the ranks.

    “The Armed Forces remain resolute in maintaining the highest standards of professionalism, loyalty, and respect for constitutional authority.”

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    President Bola Tinubu speaking at a public event in Nigeria, representing federal government economic policy announcements.

    Tinubu: Fuel subsidy, forex cabals behind rising insecurity

    NDLEA operatives at a clandestine methamphetamine laboratory uncovered in Ogun forest with seized chemical substances and suspects.

    NDLEA busts N480bn methamphetamine lab in Ogun, arrests three Mexicans

    NLC warns ‘no community is safe anymore’ after Oyo abduction

    NLC warns ‘no community is safe anymore’ after Oyo abduction

    Jonathan: Abaribe urges Gowon to 'write his own book, reveal truth about 1966 coup'

    Gowon accuses Ojukwu of frustrating peace talks, causing civil war

    'Where’s the evidence?', SDP questions Tinubu’s $50bn foreign investment claim

    SDP expels presidential candidate, 11 others as crisis worsens

    Dangote refinery IPO demand nears $2bn as Otedola commits $100m investment

    Otedola sells Geregu stake to invest in Dangote refinery

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    President Bola Tinubu speaking at a public event in Nigeria, representing federal government economic policy announcements.

    Tinubu: Fuel subsidy, forex cabals behind rising insecurity

    May 21, 2026
    NDLEA operatives at a clandestine methamphetamine laboratory uncovered in Ogun forest with seized chemical substances and suspects.

    NDLEA busts N480bn methamphetamine lab in Ogun, arrests three Mexicans

    May 21, 2026
    Big Wiz: Five Wizkid songs that sound like Fela’s

    Big Wiz: Wizkid becomes first African artiste to reach 11bn Spotify streams

    May 21, 2026
    NLC warns ‘no community is safe anymore’ after Oyo abduction

    NLC warns ‘no community is safe anymore’ after Oyo abduction

    May 21, 2026
    Jonathan: Abaribe urges Gowon to 'write his own book, reveal truth about 1966 coup'

    Gowon accuses Ojukwu of frustrating peace talks, causing civil war

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.