Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Southampton had been looking for an immediate return to the Premier League having been relegated at the end of the 2024-25 season

    FA opens Southampton investigation over Spygate

    May 21, 2026
    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139

    May 21, 2026
    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • FA opens Southampton investigation over Spygate
    • WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139
    • Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty
    • Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar
    • Tinubu: Fuel subsidy, forex cabals behind rising insecurity
    • NDLEA busts N480bn methamphetamine lab in Ogun, arrests three Mexicans
    • Big Wiz: Wizkid becomes first African artiste to reach 11bn Spotify streams
    • NLC warns ‘no community is safe anymore’ after Oyo abduction
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Thursday, May 21
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Declaring Sowore wanted is within our constitutional powers – Police

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoNovember 5, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Sowore mocks Malami in court, says 'the system is dealing with you'
    Omoyele Sowore
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Olohundare Jimoh, the Lagos State Commissioner of Police, has justified his decision to proclaim Omoyele Sowore, activist and publisher of Sahara Reporters, wanted, claiming that he was acting within his constitutional authority to safeguard public order.

    Jimoh stated on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily program on Wednesday that he acted legally to prevent what he described as a planned “violent protest” in Lagos.

    “I have the right to declare him wanted. Any person who says I don’t have such a right should go to court,” the police commissioner said.

    Jimoh added that security personnel acted quickly after Sowore allegedly placed monitoring posts, which he claimed indicated preparations to gather demonstrators to block the Third Mainland Bridge.

    He stated that the police took precautionary precautions by cordoning off portions of Lagos and “arresting 13 suspects linked to the protest.”

    According to him, a van transporting loudspeakers and a generator for the demonstration was also seized.

    Jimoh said, “I don’t just declare (Sowore) wanted. When he posted something on his X handle, and it was there for people to verify, that he had just taken a bath in Abuja, and the next point was Lagos, to block the Third Mainland Bridge.

    “And we were well prepared. We cordoned off the entire area where he’s designated to come and conduct these violent protests. And we ensured that we made alternative arrangements for people to use.”

    The commissioner also stated that his actions were motivated by the necessity to ensure public safety, protect lives and property, and prevent disorder in the state.

    “I have the right under the Constitution to prevent crime from occurring, to prevent anybody that wants to take us into the house from causing mayhem across the country,” he added.

    He did, however, clarify that the Inspector-General of Police had not issued a direction to proclaim Sowore wanted, calling contrary allegations “mischievous.”

    “The IGP, I say without any doubt, has not given such an order. And he has not given it only to me but to virtually all the police institutions across the country,” he said.

    The CP’s comments came after a controversy erupted on November 3, when police announced Sowore was wanted for “acts capable of disturbing public peace” and planning to obstruct traffic on the bridge.

    However, Sowore rejected the wanted status, describing it as illegal.

    In a statement, he claimed that no police officer, not even the commissioner, has the authority to proclaim someone sought without a court order.

    He further claimed that the declaration resulted from police officers’ failure to carry out the purported shoot-at-sight order at the Oworonshoki protest.

    “I was informed that he (IGP Egbetokun) dispatched police officers to ambush me today. When this attempt failed, they declared me wanted,” Sowore wrote.

    However, the Lagos commissioner refuted that the IGP issued a “shoot-at-sight” order against Omoyele, claiming that no such command was ever issued.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    President Bola Tinubu speaking at a public event in Nigeria, representing federal government economic policy announcements.

    Tinubu: Fuel subsidy, forex cabals behind rising insecurity

    NDLEA operatives at a clandestine methamphetamine laboratory uncovered in Ogun forest with seized chemical substances and suspects.

    NDLEA busts N480bn methamphetamine lab in Ogun, arrests three Mexicans

    NLC warns ‘no community is safe anymore’ after Oyo abduction

    NLC warns ‘no community is safe anymore’ after Oyo abduction

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Southampton had been looking for an immediate return to the Premier League having been relegated at the end of the 2024-25 season

    FA opens Southampton investigation over Spygate

    May 21, 2026
    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139

    May 21, 2026
    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    May 21, 2026
    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    May 21, 2026
    President Bola Tinubu speaking at a public event in Nigeria, representing federal government economic policy announcements.

    Tinubu: Fuel subsidy, forex cabals behind rising insecurity

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.