Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Alvaro Arbeloa appointed as Real Madrid head coach after Alonso exit

    Alvaro Arbeloa confirms Real Madrid departure

    May 22, 2026
    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent manager

    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent head coach until 2028

    May 22, 2026
    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola's exit

    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola’s exit

    May 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Alvaro Arbeloa confirms Real Madrid departure
    • Man United confirm Carrick as permanent head coach until 2028
    • Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola’s exit
    • Man City confirm Guardiola exit after trophy-filled 10-year reign
    • Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo
    • JUST IN: Sani approves nearly N1bn for Kaduna workers’ entitlements
    • Trump sends 5000 US troops to Poland, NATO gives nod
    • Mixed reactions trail JAMB registrar Segun Aina appointment
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Friday, May 22
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Cholera kills 4,738 globally, Africa bears brunt with 3,700 deaths – WHO

    Opalim LiftedBy Opalim LiftedAugust 30, 2025No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Nigeria files four emergency requests as cholera cases surge
    FILE PHOTO: A sick child receiving treatment from Cholera
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) has reported that cholera deaths are climbing worldwide even as the number of recorded cases falls, noting what it described as serious gaps in treatment and access to care.

    In a statement issued Friday, the agency said no fewer than 4,738 people died from cholera and Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) across 31 countries between January and mid-August 2025. The figure represents a 46 per cent increase in deaths compared to the same period in 2024, even though total case numbers dropped by 20 per cent.

    Africa has recorded the highest toll, with more than 3,700 deaths and a case fatality rate of 2.2 per cent — over twice the 1 per cent threshold that WHO uses to declare an emergency. Countries most affected include Chad, Sudan, South Sudan, and the Democratic Republic of the Congo, where conflict, flooding, and fragile health systems have hindered response efforts.

    “Safe drinking water, sanitation and hygiene are the only long-term and sustainable solutions to ending this cholera emergency and preventing future ones,” WHO stated. It added that the risk of cross-border spread remains “very high.”

    The organisation said rural and flood-affected communities are the hardest hit, with many patients unable to access rehydration therapy and antibiotics in time.

    • Cholera outbreak kills eight in Nigeria, infects over 200

    “Every delayed hour in getting treatment can mean the difference between life and death,” a WHO official said, noting that six countries are reporting fatality rates above the 1 per cent emergency threshold.

    To address the crisis, the WHO and the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) have launched a joint Continental Cholera Emergency Preparedness and Response Plan. The initiative includes an Incident Management Team to support countries in surveillance, case management, and oral cholera vaccination campaigns.

    African Heads of State have pledged to eliminate cholera by 2030, making it a continental health priority.

    WHO cautioned, however, that the disease is reappearing in regions that had been free of outbreaks for years.

    “Cholera is resurging in countries that had not seen outbreaks in years. This is a wake-up call. Without clean water and coordinated response, the death toll will keep rising,” the agency said.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    Kaduna State Governor Uba Sani addressing judiciary staff union leaders during a meeting at Sir Kashim Ibrahim House in Kaduna.

    JUST IN: Sani approves nearly N1bn for Kaduna workers’ entitlements

    Trump : You're on your own, US tells citizens in Israel amid Middle East tensions 

    Trump sends 5000 US troops to Poland, NATO gives nod

    Nigerians reacting on social media to the appointment of Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar announced by President Tinubu.

    Mixed reactions trail JAMB registrar Segun Aina appointment

    The Governor of Benue State, Hyacinth Alia, has expressed deep sorrow over the death of ten people in a tragic accident in the Okete community, Ohimini Local Government Area.

    Alia wins Benue APC governorship primary election

    RCMP tactical armoured vehicle and heavily armed officers outside a Spencer Street home during a police raid in downtown St. John’s.

    Police deploy flash bangs, armoured vehicle in St. John’s drug raid

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Alvaro Arbeloa appointed as Real Madrid head coach after Alonso exit

    Alvaro Arbeloa confirms Real Madrid departure

    May 22, 2026
    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent manager

    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent head coach until 2028

    May 22, 2026
    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola's exit

    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola’s exit

    May 22, 2026
    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola's exit

    Man City confirm Guardiola exit after trophy-filled 10-year reign

    May 22, 2026
    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    May 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.